IGNORED

Garmin InReach/SPOT rant

June Bug

On 7/28/2023 at 8:20 AM, bear said:

I'm wary of things like the Defy because they don't seem to be functional at all without the smartphone, for interactive activities.

Motorola Defy is available and the reports are not good.  The consensus is that it was released too soon, without sufficient testing and tech support is, "Try this. It might work.  No? OK, how about this?"  

Many people report that set up is not easy.  Also, get this, it won't work in heavy tree cover or in canyons.  You need a fairly clear view to the south, because it's trying to lock in on a geostationary satellite.  We're not spending $$$ for something dicey.

Anyway, I do have a question for the hive mind.  Our phones (Moto G Power, Android) are GPS enabled. We've had two episodes this summer where we got separated on a trail system and didn't have cell service to sort things out.  It is possible to download an app like TrailForks or mtbproject, and it can track where you are even if you're out of cell phone range.  What I want to know is, is there a way to track another cell phone's location (Android, not Apple) on one of these apps?

Trailforks allows you to download the region (at the state level) before you ride. I keep Texas, Arkansas, California, and New Mexico on my phone. If you have no cell coverage, you can still see your location via the GPS and still navigate on the maps. It is great. The maps do not take up a lot of space on your phone. But you cannot download the map if you do not have a data connection, so go do that now.

If you happen to be in an area where you have not downloaded the maps you *might* be ok because it *should* be caching the direct local area, but because I have downloaded maps I can't say for sure. The best way to test is put your phone in airplane mode now and see what navigating different trails looks like.

16 hours ago, June Bug said:

It is possible to download an app like TrailForks or mtbproject, and it can track where you are even if you're out of cell phone range.  What I want to know is, is there a way to track another cell phone's location (Android, not Apple) on one of these apps?

Unfortunately No. The phone will act independently and show you where YOU are on a predownloaded map but it is only a GPS RECEIVER. It's only ability to SEND data is via Cell, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Theoretically if you were close enough to see each other over peer-to-peer Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you will probably be within earshot. 

I've used Ride With GPS off line in airplane mode and it was great.  

I've been contemplating TrailForks, so will do.  

@RedRider3141, thanks for that clarification. 

In the meantime, we've made a commitment to stay together, really together, while riding.  

We each had cell phones, but had service in different spots at different times. 

4 hours ago, June Bug said:

I've been contemplating TrailForks, so will do.  

I should say, I've been using an old Cell with no service for both Strava and TrailForks offline. It works great, I make sure to boot it up at home on Wi-Fi and load any maps I need. This weekend I did an event at Flat Rock and used a Mobile Hotspot from my current cell that has service, just long enough for it to figure out the apps and then shut it off for the whole event. It records just fine, but I don't get live segments 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 9/17/2023 at 5:48 PM, June Bug said:

Motorola Defy is available and the reports are not good.  The consensus is that it was released too soon, without sufficient testing and tech support is, "Try this. It might work.  No? OK, how about this?"  

Heh, reports are worse now that the company that was making the Defy device has died. 

Bullitt, the rugged manufacturer behind CAT and Motorola smartphones, is no more

"Bullitt, the manufacturer of rugged phones, has closed down due to intense competition in the smartphone market.   The company had ambitious plans for satellite-based text messaging, but the deal to transfer the satellite-focused portion of its company fell through."

Edited by June Bug