IGNORED

Help with Garmin Course

cxagent

I have fought this all I am going to. I created a GPS track on my Garmin Edge 800 when I was flagging a new trail. When I looked at the track, I found where I wanted to expand the trail to use LOTS of space on the map. So I revised the track using TopoFusion. I created a GPX or one of several other file types. I can use the USB port to copy that file to my Garmin. At least the computer sees it as a valid file. The Garmin does not. I went as far as to delete the GPS track from my Garmin to see if that was preventing this from working (Strava would not copy the revised file because it considered it a duplicate of the original file.)

Ultimately, I want to create a Garmin Course so I can follow it when I revise the flagging of the trail. NOTHING I have figured out creates a Garmin Course on my Garmin Edge 800. Absolutely NOTHING. I tried Strava, I tried TopoFusion. I tried Ride with GPS. All say they have created said course. I can create said course file on my computer and see it. I can copy said course file to my Garmin. But the Garmin does not know/recognize or find those files.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Please provide easy enough instructions even a caveman can follow ;-)

Somebody didn't read the CAVEMAN part of my post.

I got it working. Thanks for the help.

Now to remove the Garmin Express from my computer again. I don't like that it runs itself anytime I start the computer, reboot the computer, or connect a Garmin device to the computer. Any time it is running, it appears to be sending data to Garmin. That is why I removed it completely from my computer in 2013. People think Facebook is invasive of their privacy??? Garmin has Facebook beat. Both have been removed from my computer.

• Haha 1

Over the years of experiences with Garmin products used in making the maps for Rocky Hill, and later adding them to MTBProject, I've had several run-ins with uncooperative supporting software from Garmin as well as other compatibility issues. I have bookmarked a number of sites for conversion of file types, as well as have ascended the steep learning curve on Garmin's Base Camp to get to the point of finding many of the features that make map creation easier, and which, for whatever reason, Garmin does not provide as part of the default tools. (you must go into View and enable them)

I can relate to the hair-pulling necessary to get info from and to their devices as well as headaches involved from sharing it with other applications. This should all be much easier to accomplish.

Even something as simple as using a custom route for road navigation created in Base Camp is, for whatever reason, different between two of their Zumo GPS units. In one you can upload the route you design and it will follow it exactly as you create it, with prompts for turns and lane placement at intersections. On the other, it will reroute between waypoints however it damn well pleases. The only way to force that unit to follow a created path is to save the route as a track and upload that. Which then loses many of the features like turn notification, POIs, etc. that navigating by route includes.

There have been many, many "What were they thinking?" moments over the years I've used Garmin's products. And, they are "the best" in the industry.

• Like 1

Yeah, for sure I've had frustration with my Garmin stuff.  I've sent my 705 back 4 times ($107 replacement policy).  The latest 520+ is nice, but my main issue is with how to load files.  My computer won't recognize it no matter what I do.  It connects to my phone via bluetooth.  So my only option is to load routes to Connect online, then the Connect app syncs, and I can push the routes to my 520+ that way.  It's OK as far as I'm concerned.  When I was looking for a new device, I almost went with the Wahoo Elemnt.  Everyone loves it.  Everyone says it's more intuitive.  I only didn't because of my ANT+ accessories and my old devices (I need 2 for 24hr races) and I got a killer deal on the 520+.  I'm kinda kicking myself for that decision...