IGNORED

NW Austin Food/Supply Feed

GFisher

I know there are quite a few of you that live close to me. I am thinking this may be a good place to share very current info. Like if you are at a store or just got back. 

i.e. - Went by HEB at Spicewood Springs/183 30 minutes ago and the lines weren't too bad but all they had was ice, potato chips and bud light

- HEB at Parmer & McNeil had lines around 2 sides of the building at noon but we waited for an hour and they had a decent amount of produce, bread and meat, etc.

I get the feeling it will be an arduous process over the next few days trying to get back to a decent place, I figured we should help each other out. Don't want to sift through all the BS on FB, etc. And don't want people driving around too much wasting time/gas (which may also be in short supply).

I know a lot of folks live in the Cedar Park area, perhaps that is another thread, etc.

Just an idea.

• Like 4

I read gasoline supply is fine but just couldn't deliver because of the road conditions.  That should normalize soon.

NW Balcones houses up the hill have not water in 48+ hours.  We had a trickle yesterday and none today.  We have tons of containers and we're filling up with ice, snow, and roof drip.

We always have lots of frozen, dry, and canned food so we should be OK for a while as far as food.  Boiling water is a pain.  It really makes you appreciate all the things you take for granted normally.  My wife is going to go donate blood since roads are clear and she just feels like she needs to do something.  We may go help handout water too.

As things thaw out, keep an eye out for leaks.  I had a burst pipe yesterday--thankfully not in the wall.  I couldn't get a new fitting in b/c the tube was out of round but I was able to machine a plug and get it on mostly OK (torch kept flaming out b/c of the cold last night!).

• Like 2

Visited Randall's at MOPAC and William Cannon this afternoon. Short lines, not crowded at all. The store was picked over! Probably partially because they had not been fully restocked and/or they had to throw away a lot of stuff. We got some basics that we needed though.

Fortunately, we keep a well stocked pantry and got a few things right before the storm hit. I was expecting snow and ice to make travel difficult for a few days. The loss of power and water was a surprise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Fortunately, we keep a well stocked pantry and got a few things right before the storm hit. I was expecting snow and ice to make travel difficult for a few days. The loss of power and water was a surprise.

Yes we can probably go for 2 weeks without going to the store and that's without a 2nd fridge or freezer.  I personally take it as a challenge being creative making meals with any non-puffy cans or stuff I had forgotten was deep in the pantry.  When single I used to routinely empty out the fridge and pantry.  My family is a bit more picky.

Also, the trickle is now a stream.  So far my leak repair is holding.  I never thought I'd be so excited to get a trickle of water in indoor plumbing.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1