IGNORED

About freaking time Texas

ATXZJ

Looks like the state is getting off its ass and opening a new park. First thing i looked for was MTB access and it seems the park will offer some biking trails. What that looks like is your best guess. Anyone have any insight as to what they're doing out there? 

It'd be killer if outfits like KOM trails were involved with this.

https://sanangelolive.com/news/outdoors/2021-03-31/first-new-texas-state-park-decades-opening-soon

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-pinto-mountains

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate to disappoint, but the opening is years in the future. TP&W is glacially slow in opening new parks. They are still in the resource inventory and design phase and trying to raise 9 million (!) dollars.  Too bad it's so far away; they are very happy to have volunteers participating in the process. 

Potential for a stellar mountain bike trail system is excellent, though. 

If you're a map or road nerd, it's just off State Highway 16, a few miles north of IH 20. 

Highway nerd alert: Highway 16 starts in Zapata by Falcon Reservoir on the border with Mexico, up to San Antonio and then through Helotes, Pipe Creek, Kerrville, F-burg, past Enchanted Rock, Llano, San Saba, Comanche, across IH 20 and then the new state park is to the left. 

State Highway 16 continues almost to Wichita Falls and that's it -- 542 miles. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 3

My apologies since I didn't make it to that place to look yesterday. I can say that Lake Mineral Wells has some good trails. They are not very technical at all. Not a lot of elevation. I can say that the sand on the trails is so thick that your front tire moves side to side more than forward. I rode ten miles up there on Wednesday and the sand is the hardest part. After breaking camp yesterday morning I was just excited to visit the rock climbing area and then head home.

• 1 year later...