IGNORED

Isaac & Tena Thurm Venable Early Settlers on Bull Creek

Bart

Has anybody ever checked out this structure back in the woods off Spicewood Springs? i saw a video on Austin Hikes FB pg yesterday and thought that would be cool to check out but have never been. I thought I'd explored all those trails back there but have never come across this old house structure. Built in 1880's from some German settlers. Looks like its close to 360 somewhere?

Thanks for posting this.  If I understand correctly, this is across from the AT&T building in the hiking area that starts right 360 & Old Spicewood Springs (OSS) Rd.  This post has details:

http://txcompost.blogspot.com/2018/06/isaac-tena-thurm-venable-early-settlers.html

They are buried at Oak Grove Cemetery which is close to where OSS tees into Old Lampasas/Spicewood Springs

Are bikes allowed in the hiking area west of 360?

• Like 1

There's a lot of history in them thar woods, which  until relatively recently were also the home of the cedar choppers. There's an old stone homestead on the south side of 360, accessibly by bike, but more easily on foot, which was the home of fellow mountain biker Bill Simons' pa, and his pa before him. At the far end of 360, closer to Lost Creek, there's an Eanes family graveyard. That's the family of Gary Eanes, who comes to R&I. A lot of it - to me at least - was uncovered by running around those hills with the hash house harriers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

For sure I notice a lot more stuff when I do trail runs vs riding.

I actually did a beer / margarita check in the old Simons home -- when Bill spotted the picture I posted, he said he wanted to be there for the next one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Are bikes allowed in the hiking area west of 360?

yes, bikes are allowed on Irving & Hazeline Smith Trail.

they have some placards on the trail, and pretty sure there are some rock fences, but i don't know about the actual homestead. 

There is an abandoned slab just north of there, but i don't think its that old:

https://goo.gl/maps/mbXd5yjzWCQqEhCZ8

• Thanks 1