IGNORED

HELP! I'm bleeding....

AustinBike

17 hours ago, rockshins said:

Extra step if you haven't tried is to adjust the lever reach and free stroke before you start. Have heard every which way, to have the lever reach and free stroke fully open, or to have the lever reach fully open and the free stroke closed and the opposite of that. The best bleed I have gotten is to have the lever reach all the way to the bars (closed) and free stroke all the way open, but who knows. Seems like you can have extra air in those spots.

This is not something I had tried.   I'm looking forward to trying this out soon.  Thanks!

have you tried the "mini bleed" method where you only open up the lever end, attach a syringe to the lever with some fluid in it and flick?

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/5-minute-shimano-mini-bleed/

Magura has a similar process, where the caliper is left alone, but it involves actually drawing a vacuum at the lever end and drilling a small pilot hole in the syringe so that when you draw back to a certain point, you can release the negative pressure. Negative pressure can do wonderful things for getting a bubble to migrate.

https://www.magura.com/media/1856/quick_bleed_instruction_final_techtip_2_may_2012_01.pdf

I released all the lever travel to max.  I was shocked at how far I had it in.  Then I took the caliper off the bike and let it hang right under the lever.  So many bubbles came out.  I used less than one little cup full of fluid to get it feeling really solid.  We'll see if that lasts after some use.  Looking forward to seeing how your experience went AB.  I figured you're busy editing pictures and such.

• 1 month later...