IGNORED

Rocky HIll Ranch Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

• 2 weeks later...

We moved massive amounts of dirt to create raised passage across Lake Looking Glass, an area on Rabbit Hole that holds water after hard rains.

RabbitHoleDirt.thumb.jpg.8c246ae98bc8f78434fa94ee656eb441.jpg

The photo shows finished work on Friday creating levies at two crossings of this low spot. These should keep Rabbit Hole passable after a heavy rain.

Many thanks to Steve Booker for bringing his tractor and dirt expertise for this project.

Also, many new berms on Rabbit Hole and a few more to be found on other trail sections.

More projects in the works.

RHR just keeps getting better and better.

Come get some while the air conditioning is working well.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

After feedback and consultation indicated a strong desire by several weary souls to make the exit climb from Rabbit Hole less brutal (14% grade in one spot I'm told) I went out there this morning and made some long overdue changes.

The finished section will be slightly longer, with relatively flatter runs to gain speed going into short, steep climbing turns and more gradual grades between them. I hope this will bring the moaning and groaning down a few notches.

In all actuality, It was always in the plan to do this. Back when originally creating the trail I got in a hurry to bring RH online and used the steeper grade as it was less work in the moment.

The reroute should be opened up soon.

BTW, my last big lap showed 17.3 miles on the wheel TH to TH (GPS will show less). Add 0.3 for the Start/Finish loop and we're getting close to an 18 mile loop. When we started with 6.5 miles after the land sale I never thought we would get this much trail built.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3

Great updates, thank you!  I had planned on going out there yesterday to take advantage of the beautiful weather (and figured it should have been dry enough), but discovered right before loading my bike onto my car that my rear brake wasn't working at all (lever all the way to the handlebar with no movement of calipers).  Was able to get it fixed, but not with enough time to head out to Smithville, so that will need to wait for another day.  Ended up riding Suburban Ninja instead. Look forward to soon enjoying everything out there and seeing everything new since my last visit!  

• Like 1

Speaking of which, the Rabbit Hole exit climb reroute has been completed. It should spread the ascent across several hundred more feet of trail and significantly reduce the enduring pain the old route's trajectory offered.

Got out there this morning to finish up some dirt work in anticipation of the rain expected on Thursday. I hope we get enough to tighten up some of the bits I dabbled on as they were a little loose no matter how much I'd tamp with McLeod and feet.

There is a Pivot demo scheduled for Sunday and I'm hoping that will result in plenty of riders to help take that new-trail-feel off of the freshly picked (organic and gluten free) sections.

Edit: Initial reports indicate there's more work to be done on the last bit of the new stuff. There may be a Pick-Mattock workout in my future. Yay!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

On Friday I finished up the work on that last new turn for Rabbit Hole's exit climb by creating slighter slopes before and after a new switchback. Rode it on Saturday, and may have actually got first wheels on new work for a change. I cleaned it first time. Though I will dig a little more on the back side of the switchback to provide plenty of room to comfortably carry speed through the turn.

Overall, the added length to that section, along with a reduction in overall percent grade, should make it easier to get out of the Wonderland Zone (the Rabbit Hole trail, with Tea Party, and The Jaberwock TTF). Paul's latest berms have Rabbit Hole flowing very nicely.

Once back up to the top, riders are rewarded with the Sofa King Fun Trail downhill run past the sofa, followed by The Grind, The Wall, and Reveille's Romp on the way to visit the Fofenique Flamingos, and fly down Home Stretch to finish the loop.

If you are suffering from chronic lack of abuse, come get some therapy at RHR. Counselors are standing by.

Yesterday I skipped Black Trac, but a friend rode it without issue. I did find a couple of greasy spots on Rabbit Hole, but it wasn't terrible. I expect today was better. Everything else was just about perfect on Saturday.

I didn't get out there today, though the Pivot Demo was on site. Paul told me he had suggested the Demo tell their riders avoid Black Trac and Rabbit Hole,

It will likely be okay again by Friday or Saturday if the weather forecast doesn't change.

Edit: Forecast has improved, so trails may well be fine as frog hair by Thursday/Friday

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm planning on going out there on Friday, probably around 11am or so.

If nothing comes up I'll plan to join you for a lap. I need more excuses to ride rather than work on trail. 😁

The only thing I have planned Friday is watching the second Starship orbital test flight. Launch window is 2 hours, starting at 0700.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

If nothing comes up I'll plan to join you for a lap. I need more excuses to ride rather than work on trail. 😁

The only thing I have planned Friday is watching the second Starship orbital test flight. Launch window is 2 hours, starting at 0700.

Would be great to have someone to ride with!  Yeah, the OFT2 launch is an absolute must watch for me.  I'm actually considering driving down to Starbase.  But if not, I hope it goes up in the morning so I can ride in the afternoon.  I'll let you know what I end up doing. 

• Like 1

Trail conditions are excellent and anyone with time off for the Turkey-day holiday can expect good temperatures and clear skies this week. There is forecast a chance of very light showers (0.03") in the AM on a couple of days to knock the dust down and tighten up the trails.

Camping is a consideration for anyone wanting to do a lot of riding, or who just likes sleeping in the woods and hanging out with friends.

In the past few days there have been several more berms added and some trees removed in places to provide better flow. Plus, a Toucan can now be found on a perch decorating Rabbit Hole if you can spot it.

Come get some. You know you wanna.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The course for the Marathon is now marked with arrows. It uses all trails except Loblolly and Y-Knot. When you come off Lemonade onto the West Fenceline jeep road you stay on the road until you rejoin the course at Litterbox, Rabbit Hole is included on the course this year. There was also mention of some sort of abbreviated start lap to get the overall mileage right. Get with Paul for details.

I've heard nothing regarding the route to be used for the EE.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW, start loops are usually done to string out the riders.  The Hilltop race did a great job.  The Palo Duro did not.  basically 100 yards on the road downhill with a loose turn then right sharp turn into deep rutted (like horse trails) single track.  It was a mess.  All the endurance races at Rocky Hill I've done use the loop around the loop around the pond, and some even do a LeMans start.

• Like 1

Changes to the race route that I noticed while out working today:

• Paul cut out the beginning and end of Rabbit Hole from the race course. I guess he thought it was too much to "endure" for an Enduro/Marathon event. 😉
  • Added, there will be a road ride at the start of Rabbit Hole that skips all of that trail to the right of Wellhead Road.
  • Coming out of Rabbit Hole riders will entirely miss the new switchback section (recently added to make it easier), and will also leave out nearly all of that fun downhill on Sofa King between the end of Rabbit Hole and the sofa itself. 🤷‍♂️

He did leave the part of Rabbit Hole in the middle, which is better than cutting out Rabbit Hole entirely.

Racers, if you would enjoy riding the whole Rabbit Hole in next years race, let Paul know. 

Edited by Ridenfool