IGNORED

Rocky HIll Ranch Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

Rocky Hill is fun again!  It is going to be a brutal 3 laps.  Feels like 90% of the climbing is on the first 4 miles.  Litter box has aged well.  I feel like now rocky hill has regained its soul.

a couple of notes:

1.  New section of corkscrew needs better marking.  Branches are laid out after the switch back and with the leaves the new way is not clear.

2.  Beginning of lemonade several trees down but not on the trail.  However, one of them is precariously resting on another very thin tree.  With this wind today I wouldn’t be surprised if more come down and this one goes all the way down.

3. In black track there’s a split that is not marked.  I went left to do the extra length but wasn’t sure if that’s the correct way.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Rocky Hill is fun again!  It is going to be a brutal 3 laps.  Feels like 90% of the climbing is on the first 4 miles.  Litter box has aged well.  I feel like now rocky hill has regained its soul.

a couple of notes:

1.  New section of corkscrew needs better marking.  Branches are laid out after the switch back and with the leaves the new way is not clear.

2.  Beginning of lemonade several trees down but not on the trail.  However, one of them is precariously resting on another very thin tree.  With this wind today I wouldn’t be surprised if more come down and this one goes all the way down.

3. In black track there’s a split that is not marked.  I went left to do the extra length but wasn’t sure if that’s the correct way.

I saw a Tesla out there as I was leaving today, I guess that was you.

1. Is this the switchback that starts after going up and down a section of Fat Chuck's and taking a banked left turn? The trail parallels the road before going back up a few switchbacks. Trying to figure out where to look for this. Where the trail I'm thinking of tops out there is the Fat Chuck's section with brush laid down as a divider, and to the right, the end of Corkscrew where it goes by a deer blind before turning downhill and crosses the road into Mini Me, which is also divided by brush. Let me know if this sounds like the place.

2. On Lemonade, I rode it today and think I remember seeing what you describe.

3. Was that split on a climb? We reopened the old line to the left as the new line I built thinking it would be easier was not. Either one takes you to the same place in a hundred feet or so. The left is faster, but the right might be handy for passing slower riders.

On my lap today I caught a handlebar on a tree on Black Trac and renewed my membership with The Over The Bar Scar Club. I don't know if I'll be able to do any work for a few days while I heal. Kinda feel like a sack of potatoes that got tossed into the trees from a moving vehicle. At least I lived up to my motto, "If you're not bleeding, you're not having any fun!"

As for the climbing, the terrain allowed us to have the first 90% of climbing in that first section you describe 😳, and then have the last 90% of climbing toward the end. 😲😉

Edited by Ridenfool

34 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

1. Is this the switchback that starts after going up and down a section of Fat Chuck's and taking a banked left turn? The trail parallels the the road before going back up a few switchbacks. Trying to figure out where to look for this. Where the trail I'm thinking of tops out there is the Fat Chuck's section on the left with brush laid down as a divider, and to the right, the end of Corkscrew where it goes by a deer blind, also divided by brush. Let me know if this sounds like the 😉

IMG_4089.thumb.jpeg.e3780778c999e3c8911626d15ea77d7e.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

3. Was that split on a climb? We reopened the old line to the left as the new line I built thinking it would be easier was not. Either one takes you to the same place in a hundred feet or so. The left is faster, but the right might be handy for passing slower riders

It was at mile 10.6 of the race loop when starting from the registration shack.  It felt like it would have shortcut the trail.  It was after a g-out.

Thanks for the info.

I believe I know exactly where on Black Trac to look for this spot. It would shortcut the trail. I think the block there was moved recently during trail work and didn't get put back.

As for Corkscrew, that map above is missing a couple of new sections. Here's what it looks like now. Also, GPX attached, if that helps to narrow it down.

Corkscrew2023.thumb.jpg.7a397b3360f7be0cf8455e1c77649239.jpg

Corkscrew_.gpx

Edited by Ridenfool

Thanks again Antonio. I know the spot. There was an alternate line put in there (unnecessarily) that over the past several months several folks have told me makes taking the original line confusing. Plus, this new line doesn't seem to get ridden, except by the fellow that created it.

Edited by Ridenfool

Got a lot of work done during the race yesterday and finished up a new section on Rabbit Hole this morning.

Immediately upon cutting in the new section riders came streaming through. A dozen or so over the next fifteen minutes. This was excellent timing as I was able to watch them through some of it and see where I needed to tweak the bench cuts a little more.

After another month or two of wheels on it I expect it will be another fun addition to my little version of Wonderland.

While working out there today, on three separate occasions riders stopped to thank me for the efforts and each said Rabbit Hole was their favorite trail at Rocky Hill.

Music to my ears.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

There is a double top secret way to get around it. Ride the road to the campground, then go all the way back through the campground to the fence and turn right. This takes you onto the beginning of Pams Picnic. Enter the trail to the right of the big berm. When making the berm I built a lead-in for campers to jump on there.

Edited by Ridenfool

Got wheel mileage that includes the new section on Rabbit Hole.

The Big Loop totaled 17.44 miles TH to TH on today's ride. 

Adding in the Start/Finish loop to the pavilion/showers and back to the TH brings it to 17.74 miles.

We might actually squeeze 18 miles out of this place with a little more work.

More new berms on Pam's Picnic Loop and Corkscrew.

Edited by Ridenfool

I was out there today, perfect conditions. I definitely need to adjust my lap mindset. So used to being just about done when you got back to the end of Fat Chuck's/start of Karaway area. Used to be only a couple short punchy climbs sprinkled into a mostly bombing descent back to the start area back in the day, now you still have a pretty tough little ride still ahead of you. Fun stuff, but definitely more matches required than before for sure.

• Like 2

One rider I was talking to on Friday told me he now plans his ride to follow the loop to the first water station, then, he'll go left to ride Black Trac and Rabbit Hole and bounce back over to SwitchBack from Sofa King, just after the Sofa and before reaching the Grind.

After that, he goes back up and rides Karaway through Litterbox back to where Black Track begins. At that point he takes Grey's Highway to turn R on Wellhead road over to pick up Sofa King. He skips Black Trac and Rabbit Hole on the second pass, and goes on down Sofa King to the Grind, the Wall, etc. and back to the parking lot.

This way, he said, the tough stuff is all ridden while he is fresh.

It is a clever strategy and I'm going to try it soon. I may make it a route for MTB Project and call it Wurst First.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Quit adding more trail until after Jan 13 please (EE) 😄  Just kidding.  

I think Paul may be warming to the idea of letting the EE ride all of Rabbit Hole. Just for the Excrutiation Effect it will bring to the riders taking the Exam.

Edited by Ridenfool

Though there's climbing toward the end of the normal loop, it's shorter/punchy stuff, not extended hard stuff like in the beginning (mainly corkscrew).  The other thing is that mentally, it's at the end of the loop, while the beginning stuff it's 3.8 miles with a lot of climbing and in your mind you are still thinking about 12 or so more miles left.

• Like 1

Overnight, RHR has received an inch of rain. I wouldn't expect the trails to be primo until at least Tuesday.

I have just been informed that there could be another top secret trail addition in the works.

It might be done in time for the EE. Sorry about that Antonio 🙄. 😏 bwhahaha

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Haha 1

On the new section at the beginning of Lemonade I've tweaked a couple of existing berms and added another 6 or 7 small berms to help carry speed on the downhill part. Also smoothed several bumpy bits for better flow. I'll be back out today and see what sort of mischief I can get into while I wait on a warranty wheel replacement. If I can't ride I gotta work on trail!

The forecast is looking good for the weekend with sunny skies and the outdoor air conditioner will be running extremely well.

Come get some miles in the Pines!

EDIT: Finished another new section on Rabbit Hole and cut it into the loop.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Was out there working on Rabbit Hole and Corkscrew today. The surface was slippery as snot in places. RHR has had about an inch and a half of rain over the past few days.

Saturday might be mostly okay, Sunday should be pretty freakin' nice.

Did some fine-tuning on four berms that ought to help them flow even moh-bettah than befoh.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it is cold out. Crossing my frozen fingers that I can get a ride in on Thursday as there is more cold weather expected for the weekend, then a deluge in the forecast for next week.

For anyone interested in Supporting RHR's Volunteer Trail Stewards, thanks to a suggestion from a regular rider out here there are now signs with a Venmo QR code at the Sign-in shack and on the tables at the rest stops on the loop. We've been at it at RHR for many, many years and have always operated out-of-pocket for fuel, tools, repairs, and such. If you are enjoying the trails and would like to toss a coin our way, using this QR code will help offset our costs and inspire enthusiasm for further trimming, digging, and general mayhem that leads to fun stuff to ride on. Anything collected will be squandered responsibly.

• Like 1

Good ride today, with nice weather for a change. Trail conditions were about perfect and there were a few others out there taking advantage of the window Mother Nature provided.

Cold again tomorrow and the rain is slated to begin late Sunday. About 3.5" currently being forecast through next Friday. It should be a good test for a couple of places I'm curious about. I might go stomp around in the rain some and check it out next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridenfool said:

Just to be all ironicalish, thought I'd post up how the rain accumulation at RHR is nearing has exceeded 2.5 inches since yesterday, with more on the way.

Paddle tires and snorkel optional... 🙄

The streets were flooding here but there was still a traffic jam on the western entrance to Old Spicewood Springs road (5 low water crossings, new fancy gate with detectors) this morning.  I hope everyone stays safe and enjoys bike wrenching time and some good tunes!

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 2

Lake RHR Update

The weather station next door to Rocky Hill shows 5 inches has fallen in the past few days. This can be considered fortunate, as six miles away the rain gauge shows a tally of 7.5 inches over the same period here at the house. Another rinse cycle expected through the day on Wednesday.

Despite a fair weather forecast over the following days before Saturday, I would not suggest anyone make a long trip to RHR this weekend. It will probably be a slop-fest. The ground is quite saturated and will likely require more time to get back to the "Hero Dirt" stage. Locals might find some of the trails tolerable by Sunday afternoon, and may avail themselves of the bike wash when they are done. There may be standing water in places that have low spots. Rabbit Hole and Fofenique come to mind as likely to have a couple of trouble spots (Lake Looking Glass and Tea Party Pond, where the flamingos roost).

Once the tap is turned off, I will diligently monitor the calibrated mole mounds in the yard in order to attain a precise reading of the drying progress.

Update Final Score - 8 inches of rain at RHR. Last time this much rain fell this quickly there were sections of trail submerged in two places. Both have had reroutes, or, elevation of the trail bed to keep riders out of the water. A couple more new sections are getting their first test for high water this week. We'll see.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

Paul did a recon mission on Thursday. As expected there is deep standing water at several low points on Rabbit Hole, and there is damage to the raised sections created to keep the trail above the water level after such a big rain. Last time it took weeks for the accumulated water to subside, as it pools with no place to drain to. Rabbit Hole will be closed for repairs, and some temporary reroutes may allow reopening in another week or so.

Fofenique has one spot that regularly floods, and there already exists an alternate line that can be used. This is where the Flamingos hang out.

Reports indicate the hillsides are saturated and water is coming out. Until this all drains it will be a slop-fest out there.

I'd suggest riders skip planning a trip to RHR this weekend to give the trails time to dry out.

• Thanks 1

Did some work on Rabbit Hole today, fixed one line that needed it on a new section.

Also, had planted trail seeds a few weeks ago and went to check on them. I'm happy to say that the organically grown trail has sprouted and is being nurtured into a healthy new trail section.

Lastly, before leaving RH, I did some digging that improved drainage of Lake Looking Glass, the very Wonderland like, here-today gone-tomorrow lake that will be with us for a few weeks.

There are two new bridges to be built to repair RH before we will reopen it. Also, rerouted one spot onto the original track to bypass the latest fun section as it is submerged in a couple of places. Once it is dry enough to do dirt work we'll get Booker back out with his Kubota and build those up.

Edited by Ridenfool