IGNORED

Legit Local Carbon Fiber Repair - read

Seths Pool

I just wanted to stop by and give a shoutout and big thank you to my good friend Krys Brown, owner of Cracked Carbon Repair in Austin, Texas for fixing the multiple carbon failures on my evil wreckoning before the the angel fire 5 race, and the Pajarito DH Race happened last weekend. 

If any of you other guys have been left high and dry with a broken frame like I was, or happened to smash it into something on accident, save yourselves lots of headache and cash and contact Krys Brown directly, or through me, and we can get your broken carbon fixed for great pricing and awesome quality work. 

My wreckoning had 3 cracks, (one in top tube and 2 in rear triangle) and 2 chips. All fixed and holding up great after a rowdy DH race in Angelfire two weekends ago, immediately followed by the party in pajarito DH race this last weekend! 

This is the real evil undead. Brought back from the grave. I got a kick winning my class and showing off my Carbon patched up P.O.S wreckoning. 🤣 thanks evil 🤘💩🤘🤘💩🤘

562F7DD9-3E62-4203-A033-6D373A660BEF.jpeg

F192019E-DB63-4A5A-8D64-2AFDE1D0A918.jpeg

4F75E425-77AD-4E2A-BCB1-06B51543CDEA.jpeg

7A141AA6-BEB3-4375-9787-21B3062CFA4C.png

AA41FCE8-7D0C-4930-A0F6-2C14ADE06F44.jpeg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, throet said:

Congrats man! EWS awaits! 

pfffff! yeah right! but I ma seriously contemplating moving to the mountains so who knows if id get faster living up there. Im already wondering if my bike destruction percentage would go up or down with the change of environment and landscape. haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Where you looking at?

New Mexico for sure. but dont know where exactly yet. lots of ideas. im trying to jump through the hoops here at apple to become and at-home-advisor which will allow me to work anywhere from home with phone line and internet connection. id only be required to stay stationary per location for 1 year at a time.

one Idea im really liking would be to buy a cheap condo in angelfire, live in it and renovate it all winter, then start to AirBnB/homeaway it out and make it pay for itself and move somewhere else if I wanted. descent houses in New Mexico range from 80k-200k. I could easily live by myself up there and be comfortable. 

im born and raised in Austin, but the way things have changed, I cant really afford to comfortably live here independently without changing my lifestyle. its so overpriced, and congested with people, im ready to leave home nest. my mortgage for a condo or descent house in New Mexico is equivalent to HALF of my rent to live in a shitty little tiny duplex in round rock. 

I would miss my family and local riding community, but I feel like if I never move and stay in this little Austin bubble my entire life I will regret it when I get older

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

Are you repping Evil or GG? 

It would be entertaining if you raced for "Cracked Carbon Repair of Austin" on the results.

while I am a GG brand ambassador, I made it clear to them in the beginning that I have a small fleet of bikes, and until I have a stable of GG bikes to fit my needs, I would be using the bikes I already had. 

and yes, I will be/am representing Cracked Carbon Repair.. Seems like a pretty good fit if you ask me. haha

Great to hear we've got options!  I'll shout for Dennis and C6 Carbon Repair! He fixed me up in 4 days, for far less than a crash replacement, and did some meticulously good work. Even installed a knew knobby downtube guard!  This happened to be the 2nd Rollik frame I've broken in the same general area, so it was great to hear from Dennis - and from Spot - that the repaired frame will be stronger than new.

Check out his fb posts with pix for an idea of just how far gone some of the frames are that he's brought back.

I don't have anything but the fb pix he posted, so you don't really see finished result, but you wouldn't know it was worked on unless you stuck your nose in it.

39108294_2114646265276225_7242788846587346944_n.jpg

39149884_2114646405276211_4383980669303259136_n.jpg

17 hours ago, ssorgs said:

Great to hear we've got options!  I'll shout for Dennis and C6 Carbon Repair! He fixed me up in 4 days, for far less than a crash replacement, and did some meticulously good work. Even installed a knew knobby downtube guard!  This happened to be the 2nd Rollik frame I've broken in the same general area, so it was great to hear from Dennis - and from Spot - that the repaired frame will be stronger than new.

Check out his fb posts with pix for an idea of just how far gone some of the frames are that he's brought back.

I don't have anything but the fb pix he posted, so you don't really see finished result, but you wouldn't know it was worked on unless you stuck your nose in it.

39108294_2114646265276225_7242788846587346944_n.jpg

39149884_2114646405276211_4383980669303259136_n.jpg

so, Dennis at C6 Carbon repair is actually the one who initially repaired the top tube crack on the evil wreckoning. it unintentionally became a collaboration repair between C6 and Cracked, and it all kind of perfectly ties together on how I ended up finding someone else to finish the job so I'll give my review and short story - 

when I first started talking to Dennis, it was actually before I had any immediate carbon repair work needed. I had just heard about his local company, and wanted to reach out and ask a few general questions and what not via facebook messenger. Dennis seemed nice and polite, and was enthusiastic about carbon fiber repair. He started talking about pricing and said that he likes to keep his repair jobs affordable, and it would almost always be under $200 for most jobs, and that he warranties his work, etc etc. it was a good conversation and I looked forward to using his services if/when I ever needed in the future.

well surprise, surprise, fast forward I dunno, 6-8 months maybe? I had broken the evil wreckoning a second time after the initial front triangle debacle, which Evil finally replaced under warranty. I contacted Dennis, and brought him the bike to his home in south Austin. he assured me it was an easy fix, and not to worry, and he would start to do the sanding and assessment and basically get the repair job on its way. like a week later or something he messaged me through facebook messenger and says the Job would be $300, and that he had also found an additional crack in the rear triangle, which he offered to fix for an additional $100. Even though his quote to fix the top tube was 50% higher than the expectation of >$200, he already had the bike and I said go ahead and fix it and agreed to pay the $300. I told him to hold off on the additional $100 rear triangle repair because I wanted to send it into evil for warranty repair/assessment which they had requested once I reported the crack. 

one other thing I'll mention - so he offered to take the rear triangle off of the frame for me and box it up in preparation to ship it to evil for an additional fee of $30, which I declined and said I was happy to do myself (because the whole point of me repairing the carbon instead of crash replacement was to save money, and the job was already costing $100 more than anticipated). once I told him that, he said that well, he had already done it, which made a little bit of an awkward situation after I told him I didnt want to pay it. I thanked him for boxing it up and offered to tip him or something on a future job or whatever.

so ya'll already know the story with evil - I sent in the rear triangle, they gave me another empty-ass explanation of why they were denying the warranty, then fell back on the excuse that it was painted thus voiding the warranty even though they already knew it was painted before I sent it in and instructed me to send it in for warranty review anyway. dealing with that dumpster fire I paid for shipping both ways, basically just flushing $50-60 down the toilet, and I got my cracked rear triangle back.

Per my and Dennis' conversation about him fixing the rear triangle for the additional $100 before I decided to send it into evil for warranty replacement, I messaged Dennis on Facebook messenger and let him know I received the rear triangle back and would like to take him up on his offer to fix it for the additional $100. Then he told me that that offer no longer stood, and that he wanted $400 (YES FOUR HUNDRED) to fix what he originally quoted me $100 for. 

like what in the actual fuck? Crash replacement was only $450 for a brand new rear triangle, and I had already paid him $300 for the front triangle. That wouldve put me at $750 for a single frame being repaired. and then I had already wasted the $60 on shipping with the rear triangle. that wouldve put me at $810 spent. Had I known it was going to lead up to this, I probably wouldnt have ever agreed to pay the $300 for the front triangle. at this point I had already spent $360 and still had a broken, unrideable bike. Im assuming he was salty about me not wanting to pay him the $30 for boxing up the rear triangle, so decided to just out-price me with the additional $400 quote and not have to work with me anymore or something. that or greed actually made him want $400 for an additional carbon repair job on the same bike. I declined, and he actually dropped off the bike unassembled (minus the rear triangle) in multiple pieces at a bike shop in north Austin where I picked it all up, after we agreed that would be a convenient option for both of us. 

some time after, after already being buddies with Krys Brown, I learned that Krys had extensive experience with carbon repair and was wanting to start offering the repair service. I had no idea one of my riding buddies was already involved in that. of course that was great news for me, lol. he repaired my rear triangle in no time and has since done numerous repair jobs for various friends. all with great success.

so dont get the wrong idea, im not just wanting to bash this guy and his company and not tell the good stuff too. I will tell/show anyone that Dennis does nice clean quality work. the finished carbon repair jobs from him are super smooth and look fantastic. with paint you would never be able to tell the bike was repaired, and his repair jobs match perfectly the original contour lines of the frame as it came from the factory. very impressive work. 

my main complaints were his repeated inconsistencies and surprises with pricing, which ultimately lead to a shitty experience for me after I had paid almost $400 and the bike still had a long way to go. If I had to put a label on it, I'd probably say a little money hungry or something. And for whatever its worth, for those of you who dont know, the overhead on a carbon repair job is probably about $5-$10. The materials cost next to nothing. The profit margins are huge. Its all about the knowledge, not materials.

Not trying to be ole Cathy Complainer over here, but I just call it like I see it and give honest, forthcoming reviews.

great quality work, but bad pricing and setting customer expectation 

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

great quality work, but bad pricing and setting customer expectation 

Thanks for the detail!

Good to know.  I'll guess that he learned *some* from that experience!  I'll say that his initial quote based on pictures over fb messenger (which I did find to be a pia) was "about $190 - 250".  After dropping if off with him (he's NE now, though offered to use Nelo's which would've been super convenient for me, but I had to get 1 more ride in...), he completed the work then asked if $275 would be ok, as he cleaned the entire frame  lubed rusty bolts, among other things, and added the dt protector (cut up but new knobby).  I was fine with that given my options for replacement. He also delivered it to me.

Nevertheless, cleaning the frame and lubing bolts during reassembly aren't exactly 'value adds' and should be included, as far as I'm concerned.  And by 'included' I mean in whatever price is quoted.  Hard for me to say that this is a $250 rather than $275 job.  But, I agree Seth, set the right expectations and stick to em.

Now, I did have some issues on my 1st ride that I think were a result of his cleaning and lubing, as my rear rotor may have been fouled (very worn pads would not grab it, though was fine before I brought it in) and my pedals were especially loose. Hard to say and I didn't have the vinegar for a pissing match...