IGNORED

Driving to Portland in October - Trails to hit along the way?

Albert

While Bend, OR would be a great place to spend a few days riding and checking out the great vibe, Hood River offers a better option for a quick ride if you're not wanting to stray from your route. The vibe in Hood River is great too. It is home to Full Sail Brewing, but the town is loaded with great places to check out all within a few blocks. For local mountain biking check https://www.hrats.org/trails/trails.

Hood River.PNG

• Like 2

On 9/15/2018 at 10:13 AM, Albert said:

I agree with regards to Burro Pass.  Last time I was there, I think mid-October or late September, and it was already freezing up at the pass.  Late October seems pretty unlikely.  And, anyway, there are plenty of other trails at Moab I've never ridden, and I'll get back to the The Whole Enchilada at a future date.  🙂

Thanks for your offer to loan me maps.  I'm not planning to be back until October 27th, so that may not work out.  Thanks also for the list of locations to consider! 

..Al

You are correct - our schedules will not mesh.

I will scan in some of the better maps and send the files. The maps of Moab trails are not needed during the ride due to the great signage on the trails. But the maps give a good way to plan which trails you want to ride. And due to different skill level on most of my rides there - a way to plan where to meet up when one group takes the "easy route" and one group takes the "challenge route".

You can find a lot of trail maps on line. For example I would have sent you a Palo Duro trail map. But you can download it at https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4506_0007p.pdf And dont forget to check *BOTH* MTB Project and Trailforks. They both seem to have trails the other on does not.

Edited by cxagent

On 9/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, cxagent said:

I will scan in some of the better maps and send the files.

Thanks in advance!

On 9/16/2018 at 8:41 PM, cxagent said:

You can find a lot of trail maps on line. 

Yes, I'll definitely try to arm myself with as much information as I can.  It'll be riding many, if not all, of these trails for the first time.  And I'll be riding solo for the most part.  Although when I did The Whole Enchilada for the first time several years ago, I ended up riding with a couple from North Dakota (I think).  The wife happened to be an ER doctor.  Fortunately her skills were not required.

..Al

On 9/16/2018 at 8:18 AM, throet said:

While Bend, OR would be a great place to spend a few days riding and checking out the great vibe, Hood River offers a better option for a quick ride if you're not wanting to stray from your route. The vibe in Hood River is great too. It is home to Full Sail Brewing, but the town is loaded with great places to check out all within a few blocks. For local mountain biking check https://www.hrats.org/trails/trails.

Never been to Bend, but would like to visit.  Thanks for the trails link! 

..Al