IGNORED

Driving to Portland in October - Trails to hit along the way?

Albert

I'm driving up to Portland towards the end of next month, and would like to hit some mountain bike trails along the way and/or on the way back (maybe one on the way up, more leeway on my way back).  Looking for some suggestions reasonably close to my route.

I will be driving straight through Moab, so that's one option.  Would love to do "The Whole Enchilada" again, but not sure if Burrow Pass will be open at that point.  There's plenty of other trails I have not ridden in Moab, so open to suggestions there.  I've also done the McKenzie River Trial in Blue River, Oregon a few times, which is amazing, so that's another possibility depending on conditions. And one year I stopped in Sun Valley, Idaho and rode some trails there.

Here's the route: 

623315843_ScreenShot2018-09-13at2_59_10PM.thumb.png.7f843c62cf051ce3bfa1e91451728452.png

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

..Al

• Like 1

Really depends on how many ride-stops you want to make and how willing you are to add a few hours to your trip. You could easily re-route through Grand Junction and do some nice riding around there. Likewise, a re-route through Bend, OR would afford some nice riding without too much of a detour. There's great riding around Hood River, OR as well though, which is right off of the route you have mapped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmceuen said:

I rode Whole Enchilada in late October last year.  You could get lucky on that one. If not the half enchilada (start at hazard county) is still totally worth it. I would also highly recommend Captain Ahab and Mag 7 in Moab. Great trails.

I'd really love to ride the entire thing again.  If that's not an option, I'll probably try some other trails I've never ridden.  Captain Ahab and Mag 7 would be new to me.  

31 minutes ago, throet said:

You could easily re-route through Grand Junction and do some nice riding around there. Likewise, a re-route through Bend, OR would afford some nice riding without too much of a detour. There's great riding around Hood River, OR as well though, which is right off of the route you have mapped. 

Never been to any of those towns, will have to see how the weather will be towards the end of October.  I think that's going to be one of the big deciding factors. 

28 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

In the Four corners area you could hit up Phil's World in Cortez. 

Oh yeah, that would be fun! 

Some good suggestions so far, thanks!  

..Al

Either Grand Junction or Fruita if you skip Moab. The 18 road stuff in Fruita is great that you never get too far from your vehicle so you can keep riding up and taking a different trail down til you get enough. We did a morning loop on Horsethief Bench, had lunch in town then rode 4 or 5 runs on 18 road, joe’s, Kessel run, etc. til we were all whipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

Either Grand Junction or Fruita if you skip Moab. The 18 road stuff in Fruita is great that you never get too far from your vehicle so you can keep riding up and taking a different trail down til you get enough. We did a morning loop on Horsethief Bench, had lunch in town then rode 4 or 5 runs on 18 road, joe’s, Kessel run, etc. til we were all whipped.

One of the alternate routes, that only adds 50 miles to the trip, goes right through Grand Junction and Fruita.  I wonder how those areas are in late October. 

One of the alternate routes, that only adds 50 miles to the trip, goes right through Grand Junction and Fruita.  I wonder how those areas are in late October. 

It should be a lot less hostile than up high on the whole enchilada. Like everything, fall/spring hard to predict in the mountains. Fruita you aren’t going way up a mtn so probably not too bad, Horse thief is a bit exposed but not as techie as the trail off it called Moore Fun. From what I’ve been told sort of depends on the trail in Grand Junction. I haven’t ridden much in that area.

Over The Edge in Fruita is a great bike shop. I’d check in with them from the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Albert said:

Never been to any of those towns, will have to see how the weather will be towards the end of October.  I think that's going to be one of the big deciding factors. 

Should be fine, although of course anything at high-elevation is going to be subject to unpredictable snow events. When I lived up in that area I generally was riding trails from late Feb thru mid Nov, with the highest elevation stuff being best between Aug-Oct. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, throet said:

Should be fine, although of course anything at high-elevation is going to be subject to unpredictable snow events. When I lived up in that area I generally was riding trails from late Feb thru mid Nov, with the highest elevation stuff being best between Aug-Oct. 

Great, thanks!  I imagine my plans will be partially dictated by the weather, so I'll need to be flexible.  Having a variety of options I can choose from is a big help!

Just now, Anita Handle said:

Fruita/GJ should be perfect in late October. We've been in mid-October and you might run into snow in the mountains on the way to GJ but the high desert should be great. 

That would not be ideal considering I'll be driving a rear-wheel drive cargo van.. 

..Al

30 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

I've usually driven to Albequirky then Durango then through Silverton and Ouray to GJ. Between Durango and GJ is some seriously beautiful driving but it's possible to get a dusting at the end of October. Is that how you would get to GJ? 

Go ABQ to Cortez and catch Phil's World, then a short run East to Durango and North to GJ/Fruita on the Million Dollar Highway. That stretch of road is very scenic.

36 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

I've usually driven to Albequirky then Durango then through Silverton and Ouray to GJ. Between Durango and GJ is some seriously beautiful driving but it's possible to get a dusting at the end of October. Is that how you would get to GJ? 

This is the route Google suggested: 

image.png.f3c269a68120769dd8b2371abe01cbf0.png

I usually go through Albuquerque when doing this drive..  So I obviously don't need to follow the above suggestion.

Just now, Anita Handle said:

Yeah, that takes you right through the heart of the Rockies, probably more high passes than the route I mentioned. 

I'll definitely want to take a route that minimizes high mountain passes. 

1 minute ago, Anita Handle said:

If you go through ABQ, there is a fantastic trail there called White Mesa that I can point you towards. Our ABQ guy gave us a nice tour and I have the GPX on Strava somewhere.

All the times I've been through ABQ, I've never stopped to ride.  I'm sure I'll be going through ABQ, probably in both directions. 

..Al

Chances of Burro Pass being open are slim. In 4 trips to Moab I have yet to get to ride Porcupine from the very top. Burro Pass was only open for one day on two different trips. Of course I planned to ride it the next day and it was closed.

The wife and I drive to Moab and stop many places along the way to ride and break up the drive. I have a ton of maps I will share as long as you return them before we start our next trip in late October.

Some general locations we have stopped to ride

Palo Duro Tx - tons of trails, we have barely scratched the surface due to heat, rain and races on the trail

Taos NM - good riding near town best riding in the mountain above. South Boundary Trail and trails across from the ski area

Durango CO - too many to list check with local bike shop

Phil's World Cortez CO - on my MUST ride when passing thru

Moab - Too many to list but I have 10 - 15 maps. Don't forget there are shuttles to the more distant trails

Grand Junction CO

Fruita CO

Breckenridge CO

Frisco / Dillon / Silverthorne CO

Denver / Boulder CO (mountains just west)

Salida CO - never stopped there but hear good things

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cxagent said:

Chances of Burro Pass being open are slim. In 4 trips to Moab I have yet to get to ride Porcupine from the very top. Burro Pass was only open for one day on two different trips. Of course I planned to ride it the next day and it was closed.

The wife and I drive to Moab and stop many places along the way to ride and break up the drive. I have a ton of maps I will share as long as you return them before we start our next trip in late October

I agree with regards to Burro Pass.  Last time I was there, I think mid-October or late September, and it was already freezing up at the pass.  Late October seems pretty unlikely.  And, anyway, there are plenty of other trails at Moab I've never ridden, and I'll get back to the The Whole Enchilada at a future date.  🙂

Thanks for your offer to loan me maps.  I'm not planning to be back until October 27th, so that may not work out.  Thanks also for the list of locations to consider! 

..Al

18 minutes ago, Sluggo said:

Otero Canyon just outside of Albuquerque is fun. I ride the Sandia foothills frequently. There’s nothing technical on the foothill side, but a good spot for a couple of hours of riding. 

Thank you!  I'll definitely look to see what Albuquerque has to offer, since I will be going right through it, and I often stop there overnight on the way there and back. 

..Al