IGNORED

Skill practice drills?

Skyyhorn

With all the rain we’ve been having, my rides have consisted of riding up and down the brushy creek regional trail on my hard tail which has become extremely boring. 

Today was slightly different as I started doing bunny hop drills and practicing looping out to get comfortable in a semi-controlled setting. I even went as far as to build one of those bunny hop drill contraptions I’ve seen on YouTube, but haven’t had a chance to use it yet.

What other drills or skills would everyone suggest to practice that could be done in a field, parking lot or other open area while the trails are soaked? 

As a note, I would say I’m an intermediate rider that needs to develope the necessary skills to ride harder features.

Just now, crazyt said:

trackstands

drops

I accidentally have to practice track stands while riding with my 4 year old and he randomally stops. I try as best as possible to track stand as long as needed and it’s made a big difference. 

For drops, those are harder to create without trail. Curbs are not challenging anymore and I haven’t found a suitable drop to practice off trail. 

Also, learn how to pump. Find a flat area and see if you can do a "lap" without pedalling. This skill pays out big of the trail. Getting over the terrain is partially about pedaling, but largely about how effectively you "surf" the terrain by moving your center of gravity in a parabola over every bump.

Notice that Lee's head almost doesn't move at all.

On that topic:

https://www.cyclinghacks.com/mountain-bike-skills-coaching/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crazyt said:

trackstands

drops

Much easier to tackle drops if you first learn to manual. On many drops you can get away with just having enough speed or shoving your bars forward or compressing your suspension to get some lift off the run in, but if you listen to the experts, your best bet for keeping your front wheel from diving in many situations is to manual off the edge. It makes sense and looks great on videos, but I think because it probably feels unnatural, most people just compensate using other methods. The technique is the same regardless of whether you're going off a curb or a 6-ft drop, but of course the consequences of failure vary greatly. 

Edited by throet

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Also, learn how to pump. Find a flat area and see if you can do a "lap" without pedalling. This skill pays out big of the trail. Getting over the terrain is partially about pedaling, but largely about how effectively you "surf" the terrain by moving your center of gravity in a parabola over every bump.

Notice that Lee's head almost doesn't move at all.

On that topic:

https://www.cyclinghacks.com/mountain-bike-skills-coaching/

This is something I had not considered and will certainly give it a try.  I have a mini tri-pod I'm going to use to film so I can see what I'm doing right or wrong.  I really like this one and appreciate the suggestion.  

40 minutes ago, throet said:

Much easier to tackle drops if you first learn to manual. On many drops you can get away with just having enough speed or shoving your bars forward or compressing your suspension to get some lift off the run in, but if you listen to the experts, your best bet for keeping your front wheel from diving in many situations is to manual off the edge. It makes sense and looks great on videos, but I think because it probably feels unnatural, most people just compensate using other methods. The technique is the same regardless of whether you're going off a curb or a 6-ft drop, but of course the consequences of failure vary greatly. 

I have unintentionally noticed landing with the back wheel does seem to help, even off curbs.  I try and ramp off driveway edges and not let the front wheel dive just as proof of concept until I can find a more suitable height.  

18 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

Ride skinnies (curbs). I like practicing by riding from my driveway to my neighbors.

Yes, this I have tried as well while riding with my son since riding them at a slower pace is harder.  I try and ride as far as possible, but it also helps to know when to bail and hop off to the street.  

At some point I would like to ride the trails again just like everyone else, but I appreciate the suggestions from everyone thus far so I can be ready if it ever quits raining.  

• Like 1