Austin Smithey

Build a gravel wheelset

This summer I will be working full-time ($$$) and seeing as I just got a gravel bike I would like to build up a 700c wheelset. Where do I even start trying to do something like this?? Any tips or info would be great!

2 minutes ago, Austin Smithey said:

This summer I will be working full-time ($$$) and seeing as I just got a gravel bike I would like to build up a 700c wheelset. Where do I even start trying to do something like this?? Any tips or info would be great!

you might ping @Chief and see if he has some laying around

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

I have a set that came off my bike if you're interested. Stock wheel set. 12x142 rear 12 x100 front thru axle. I'll let them go cheap. Alex wheels.

I'd also build you a set if that's what you're looking for. Be forewarned not easy getting parts.

I'm rebuilding the wheels on my FS took three weeks to get spokes standard size nothing custom and I'm still waiting for the hoops to arrive their stuck in Germany somewhere for the last three weeks.

Edited by Chief

Do you have some very specific hubs or rims in mind? If not, a custom build might be unnecessary. Industry Nine has some really nice stuff.

On 4/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, mack_turtle said:

Do you have some very specific hubs or rims in mind? If not, a custom build might be unnecessary. Industry Nine has some really nice stuff.

I'm still kind of looking around, just thought it would be a cool summer project and I'm still looking into the feasibility of it all. 

On 4/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, Chief said:

I have a set that came off my bike if you're interested. Stock wheel set. 12x142 rear 12 x100 front thru axle. I'll let them go cheap. Alex wheels.

I'd also build you a set if that's what you're looking for. Be forewarned not easy getting parts.

I'm rebuilding the wheels on my FS took three weeks to get spokes standard size nothing custom and I'm still waiting for the hoops to arrive their stuck in Germany somewhere for the last three weeks.

I will get back to you on that as I don't need them right now per se. Certainly don't hold them for me if you've got other people asking. But I appreciate it nonetheless

9 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

I will get back to you on that as I don't need them right now per se. Certainly don't hold them for me if you've got other people asking. But I appreciate it nonetheless

Yeah no worries I'm not actively trying to sell them. Hit me up if you want them.

• Like 1