IGNORED

Enchilada Buffet

crazyt

Don't feel like you don't have to do it all if you don't feel like you can't do the whole thing.  The whole spirit of this ride is you "eat" as much as you can.  I highly recommend doing the morning neutral ride to the BCGB, doing some of the BCGB then heading back if you want.

I said earlier in the thread that I’ve done it 2.3 times. That’s because my third time was when I had a 6 month old and didn’t feel like I could be gone all day (takes me 12hrs to finish). So I did what I call the breakfast platter. I rode to Walnut from home, rolled out with everyone and did the BCGB portion. Then I rode the route towards City Park, but I stopped at the shopping center at Bee Caves rd where I had left my car the night before. Yeah I could’ve gone farther of course, but I got in a good ride and enjoyed the camaraderie.

The year before I trained some beforehand and set the goal of completing it in 12hrs and riding every climb (HOL, Courtyard, City Park, Jester, St. Ed’s, Youpon, and even the last awful climb out of Thumper).
I did it. Came in around 11hrs 50ish min.
But I’ve never felt closer to death than I did while finishing Walnut. I bonked so hard. I couldn’t eat anything, felt nauseous, and my calves and thighs would immediately cramp up if I pointed my feet down. I rolled in to mulch island, got my photo with the plate and pink fork and then promptly was driven home by my wife before having some soup and going to bed.

Totally worth it!

Refusing to quit or planning ahead to quit. Either one works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

On 8/24/2018 at 3:40 PM, mack_turtle said:

serious question- What GPS units are you using that last all of EB? the battery in my watch or my phone would die within 5-6 hours.

Garmin FR935 can go the distance.  I had a older Vivoactive a couple of years ago and was able to charge while on my wrist and riding from a small battery pack in my hip belt...

On 8/25/2018 at 9:01 AM, Teamsloan said:

I said earlier in the thread that I’ve done it 2.3 times. That’s because my third time was when I had a 6 month old and didn’t feel like I could be gone all day (takes me 12hrs to finish). So I did what I call the breakfast platter. I rode to Walnut from home, rolled out with everyone and did the BCGB portion. Then I rode the route towards City Park, but I stopped at the shopping center at Bee Caves rd where I had left my car the night before. Yeah I could’ve gone farther of course, but I got in a good ride and enjoyed the camaraderie.

The year before I trained some beforehand and set the goal of completing it in 12hrs and riding every climb (HOL, Courtyard, City Park, Jester, St. Ed’s, Youpon, and even the last awful climb out of Thumper).
I did it. Came in around 11hrs 50ish min.
But I’ve never felt closer to death than I did while finishing Walnut. I bonked so hard. I couldn’t eat anything, felt nauseous, and my calves and thighs would immediately cramp up if I pointed my feet down. I rolled in to mulch island, got my photo with the plate and pink fork and then promptly was driven home by my wife before having some soup and going to bed.

Totally worth it!

Refusing to quit or planning ahead to quit. Either one works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can get a small backup battery and keep your phone charged for most of the ride until the spare battery runs out, then use the phone battery.

I've been using a Fitbit Surge for rides, but it can't be charge while I am wearing it because the charging port is on the back, next to my skin. I'll have to use a phone+battery for a ride like that and maybe just use the watch to monitor my heart rate and that sort of thing. not that I am using that data, but it's interesting to have for when I regain consciousness.