IGNORED

clipless shoes and pedals - tons of them!

mack_turtle

The generous cycling community of Austin keeps donating shoes and pedals to Yellow Bike Co-op, which is fantastic! However, very few of the customers who come in are looking for anything like that. 99% of the customers want a simple commuter bike with a flat pedals. The result is a shortage of good flat pedals and a huge glut of used shoes and pedals for "clipping in." If you know someone who is clipless-curious, Yellow Bike would love to get these off their shelves and under someone's feet. I can't begin to catalog the styles and sizes, but I promise you they have a massive range of sizes and types for mountain, road, spin class, etc. I almost took home a really nice pair of Specialized shoes with Boa dials, but they were a half-size too big for me.

288147837_ScreenShot2023-09-22at6_04_58AM.thumb.png.8ac40744b0367946b576d2760c901358.png

264502121_ScreenShot2023-09-22at6_06_01AM.thumb.png.453438dc120b78f121666abae5426dc9.png

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Any more advice on what they can and can't use? I have some stuff to bring but for example I recall them having 5 gallon buckets of rear taillights so don't really want to bring more of those. Are jerseys in good shape accepted and utilized?

Edited by GFisher

14 hours ago, GFisher said:

Any more advice on what they can and can't use? I have some stuff to bring but for example I recall them having 5 gallon buckets of rear taillights so don't really want to bring more of those. Are jerseys in good shape accepted and utilized?

I was there the other night and a homeless man came in looking for lights because the cops were hassling him for not having any (the cops have a point), so cheap lights to keep people safe are always welcome. Jerseys don't take up much space, so those are fine. 

I'm sure they will find a way to use just about anything so long as it's not broken, bent or damaged. I'm there once sometimes twice a week so I'm always open to bringing stuff for people who can't make the trip to East Austin.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, GFisher said:

I gathered all the mtn shoes and we're going to donate them to a NICA student athlete gear swap. I'm going to find all the similar items that might be useful.to young athletes and donate those as well. If anyone has items they'd like to donate to young racers, I can help collect those, too 

(Sorry, I can't seem to remove the blank GFisher quote.)

Edited by mack_turtle

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, AntonioGG said:

It may be a cool idea to grab a handful of those rear lights and keep in your car to hand out when you see people riding at night without them.

That is a great idea and I used to keep a brand new one in the glove box and even tried to chase someone down once but by the time I turned around and tried to find them I couldn't. Need to put one or 2 back in the truck. Thanks for the reminder.

• 4 weeks later...