IGNORED

Rocky HIll Ranch Trail Conditions

Ridenfool

This week is better, what with the Blue Norther blowing in to keep the high temps under the century mark.

Did another abbreviated ride today, adding in the three "L" trails to Saturday's ride. Lemonade, Loblolly, and Litterbox.

I mean, Y Knot* ride a little more while it is cool out? *Oh, yeah added that trail as well.

11.5 miles total. Started the ride on Holdens Way and finished before the temperature hit 90.

Then, sat in the shade up at the campground for a while shooting the bull before heading for the siren song of the air conditioning at home.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

What time are you starting?  If I go out there, I want to ride everything.  😄

Today we started about 930.

For the big lap I'd start no later than that. (and check against the daily forecast temps for the hours you'll ride for verification)

Did a ride today, starting about 10:30. Finished around noon. It wasn't horrible, everything considered. Trails are dry and can be loose in the usual places.

I noticed that I really, really like riding in the shade quite a bit more than riding in the sun. Fortunately there is high shade to sun ratio at RHR.

Managed to go 14.7 miles this time. May or may not be back out tomorrow.

• Like 2

Did go back for more on Sunday. Rode what I'm calling the "Fun Stuff" loop. Riding up Holdens Way, Corkscrew, Mini Me, Switchback, and Hard Boil. Then, turning left onto Black Trac behind the table at Crossroads Rest Stop. Also, picking up Rabbit Hole to get everything that is Sofa King Fun about these sections.

The Grind was hungry for a snack and as I bombed through that eroded notch at the bottom I heard/felt something, and milliseconds later as I engaged pedals for the ascent up the wood section there was a nasty noise and the cranks didn't turn. The Grind had turned my derailleur into a pretzel somehow. Ugh.

Fortunately, it was a short push up out of the hole, then over to a high point on Mini Me from where I was able to coast to the road and down to the cattle guard by the campground. Having a home court advantage made this not so bad. From there I could smell beer, as I had parked in the Campground. Due to the severe punishment incurred, twelve ounces of Real Ale's Devil's Backbone was prescribed, and seemed apropos.

A fun ride, except for the extra C-note to get a replacement derailleur on the way. I have aspirations of straightening the old one, if successful it might become a spare.

• EDIT: Gentle application of hammer and vice seems to have done a good job of getting derailleur cage and hanger back in line. Found I needed to order a new shift cable, and a pair of new wheels for the cage as the originals were badly bent in the carnage.

Plans are forming to mount an assault on whatever caused the damage, which will result in a little precision surgery on The Grind in order for other riders to avoid a similar fate.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Went out this morning while it was still chilly and murdered the root on The Grind that had killed my derailleur.

The air conditioning was still running when I finished that task and had disposed of the evidence, so, I got in a little dirt work too.

MiniMeDrainageLR.jpg.f7b8ce596e06ed1cbe94297051535c3c.jpg

This will hopefully route the flow of water that comes off the slope from the right and behind so it will no longer erode the trail ahead where it enters the bridge on Mini Me.

Now just need some rain to test the work.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Got started at 07:30 this morning. What a difference beginning at 80 degrees makes!

Rode a little over 14 miles and was back in the van before temps had breached 90F. It was like riding in the Spring,... give or take the humidity and the horse flies. Still, quite pleasant as long as I kept moving to evade the attack bugs.

There are a couple of trees down. One on Lemonade, another on Rabbit Hole. I have plans to get out there over the next few days to install signs for riding shorter loops and will take care of those trees then.

Signs for turns onto 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 mile loops are in the works. (the 7 & 9 mile loops add Rabbit Hole to the 6 & 8 mile loops, respectively). Also the Big Loop (everything) and the Green Loop will be labeled.

The signs should be in place for ARR's monthly ride coming up in a week, on the 22nd. I will go out on a limb, tempting Murphy, and guarantee there will be no rain.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Flew a strafing run today.

Put up 12 new "Loop" signs (Sharpie on plastic picnic plates) to indicate turnoffs for 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 mile loops. Just like those select-a-size paper towels, riders will be able to select the ride length they want.

Optionally, riders can use these loops to only ride the techy stuff by combining one loop after another as all these loops include all the favorite Black and Blue sections.

The GREEN Loop (up to 10 miles of Green trails and road sections) and the BIG Loop (every trail) are also represented on the signs, as appropriate.

While traipsing about I chainsawed a couple of fallen trees on Lemonade and Rabbit Hole, which were spotted on Saturday's ride.

Escaped with nary a bite from the Horse Flies, though I was batting them away with reckless abandon. In and out before it got too hot. Still, clothing was soaked upon departure back to the house.

Looking forward to ARR riders' feedback on the signs after their ride this coming Saturday.

Coming Soon! I'll be installing REPLAY signs to easily repeat The WALL and The GRIND for those who want to session them.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Polished up a couple of turns on Corkscrew this morning with some needed bermage. Then, went and removed some Mesquite branches that had encroached upon a section of Rabbit Hole. The only thing worse than a face-slapper is a face-slapper with beefy, inch-long thorns.

Was back home by 0830.

RHR just keeps getting better and better.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Did some work on a switchback on Corkscrew this morning. The original line (now disappeared) went straight toward the large tree, then turned left behind the tree with the pole saw leaned against it.

The original line was becoming eroded in the dryness of late due to wheelspin. It was tough to climb in good conditions and never worked as well as hoped due to steepness and a sharp turn at the top.

This new line should flow much better, and leads into two more switchbacks that top out at the deer blind, just before the downhill to the road crossing into Mini Me.

CS_Switch1aLR.jpg.db89a16720ec11a66377746da17c1460.jpg

Was back home as the temperature crested above 80.

Also, the missus read that Peppermint spray deters Horse Flies. We had some on hand for spraying under the hood to prevent mice chewing the wiring. So, I spritzed my shirt before donning it. Initial trial was a success. Will continue this regimen and see if the results are repeatable.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Horse Fly deterrent testing update:

On the days I've forgotten to coat my shirt with the peppermint spray I have taken multiple hits from these evil creatures.

With a light spray coating applied there were still a few bites.

When I do a good job of spraying front, back, and arms of the shirt there are notably fewer bites, though plenty of biting flies are seen flying around me.

I'm calling this a win for the Peppermint Spray in the battle against the cursed flies. My trick is to spray the shirt the night before the ride to allow the spray to dry.

Trail Conditions:

Of course, it is still dry out there, and a blast to ride early in the morning to beat the heat. I recommend a start no later than 0900 if a full lap is planned. Bring plenty of water and take breaks in the shade to prevent overheating.

Paul added to the berm I built on Corkscrew and did a great job beefing it up and extending it further through the turn. He even hauled buckets of water up to bed it in. What a trooper.

I've done some work on the newest reroute in the Flamingo Frolic area of Fofonique by widening the track and taking out some of the off-camber aspect. It is better, and further dirt work will continue as time and temperature allow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did another abbreviated ride of ~14 miles again. The trail conditions haven't changed, and there is still lots of shade along the way, but the heat and humidity takes its toll.

Saw a surprising number of riders out this morning, and they all were gone well before noon. I only know this because we sat in the shade telling lies after the ride. It was around 1300 before we gave in to the 104F temperature and headed home.

Get started early and it can be fun weaving through the pines. Start late at your own peril.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, Ridenfool said:

Get started early and it can be fun weaving through the pines. Start late at your own peril.

I'll never understand this approach. Give me 105 degrees and 35% RH any time over 80 degrees and 85% RH (so basically every afternoon/evening). Especially when shady pines are involved. This weather pattern repeats pretty much every day in central Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

I'll never understand this approach. Give me 105 degrees and 35% RH any time over 80 degrees and 85% RH (so basically every afternoon/evening). Especially when shady pines are involved. This weather pattern repeats pretty much every day in central Texas. 

We don't judge.

All forms of MTB Masochism are encouraged at Rocky Hill. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The R&I was a sufferfest for me.  I did much worse in these 80's and high humidity than I did a couple of weeks ago starting at 104°F.  The little bit of rain wasn't enough to accumulate in the soil, but amazingly you could feel the extra traction on that moon dust from just a bit of extra moisture!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since taking a lap at RHR. Gonna head out there tomorrow and I expect it will be fabulous.

RHR had ~1.7 in. of rain Thursday, which should make for just about perfect trail on Saturday.

Paul has reported having made a couple of extensions, one at the beginning of Pams Picnic and another at Lemonade. These may finally bump us over the 17 mile total loop we've been within a few tenths of while waiting for the outdoor AC to get fixed.

Lastly, the outdoor AC has been patched. High temp will be in the low 70s for Saturday and Sunday.

Come get some chillin' time in the Pines while the Hero Dirt is in town.

• Like 1

Added a little more to what Paul recently built on Lemonade. Can't wait to put wheels on it this weekend.

Rocky Hill's full loop is now over 17 miles, trailhead to trailhead. (that is, without having to include the 0.3mi loop to the Pavilion/Start/Finish line)

Tomorrow, we have Booker (known for his decades of trail building at Jack Brooks Park near Hitchcock, TX) bringing a tractor with a front end loader to do some work on the downhill run over the dirt mounds at the beginning of Pams Picnic Loop.

Now, to recite the mantra, "If you haven't ridden Rocky Hill lately, you haven't ridden Rocky Hill!" 🚴‍♂️😁

Come get some, now that the air conditioning is working better outside.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

With Booker's help via his little AWD Kubota with bucket and backhoe we made significant improvements to the downhill at the start of Pams Picnic Loop. There are now a couple of new big berms to help in carrying speed, a couple of hops, and significant work on the two jumps at the bottom of the run. All of which are easily rollable for folks who aren't looking for speed or airtime.

This should be a fast and fun section after all of the polish we put on it yesterday.

Now that we know what that tractor can accomplish we'll be coming up with some new projects.

Thanks Booker!

• Like 1

Today's ride at Rocky Hill will be pretty cool with an Annular Solar Eclipse occurring minutes before noon. I'm planning to start at about 11 and should be about halfway through at totality.

Whether at Rocky Hill or elsewhere in the shadow of the eclipse, get out and ride. It should be a hoot!

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Reporting on some strange behavior at the ranch, possibly a side effect of the eclipse.

I went out to ride, dressed in gear, bike on board, and my buddy sent a text that he and another friend will be an hour late. So, I decided to get in some trail work until then. Filling a couple of holes on the new bits on Lemonade that were uncovered by the leaf blower. Then, while driving back to the trailhead, just as the eclipse was maxing out, I had a notion to go look at a new section I had been pondering for a while.

Fast forward three or so hours and I had nearly completed the new section. Never did ride at all. Got to visit with my friends as they rode through outbound on Mini-Me, and coming back they did a Beta test of the new section and gave it a thumbs up, though it will need a bench cut on one spot before being ready for prime time. Paul had dropped by as well and was able to do some chainsaw work with the Ryobi that Sun and Ski had donated some time back. He came back later with the leaf blower (another donation, from a rider) and polished it up a little.

This newest section will be on Sofa King between The Grind and The Wall, It may add another one or two tenths of a mile to the loop once completed.

Edit: Finished that section. Initial wheel measurement shows it added a tenth of a mile to the total loop.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1