IGNORED

What ya drinkin? Share your thoughts on Beer, Wine, and Spirits!

throet

I'm nearing the end of my list of whiskies to try that I'm willing to pay for, and to date, I don't think I've paid over $60 for a bottle. Recently I picked up a bottle of Mitcher's Single Barrel Rye and I really like it. I was reluctant given the low proof point, but it tastes like what I think a Rye should taste like. My favorite Rye so far is the Sagamore Spirit Double Oaked Rye, but the Mitcher's comes in at a much better price point and has some of the same qualities. It's been a while since I've had the 6-yr WhistlePig Rye; so, I'll try that again soon to see how it compares. @Barry has recommended some of the higher end WhistlePig selections but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money yet. 

Also just picked up my first bottle of Maker's Cask Strength, another Barry recommendation. Definitely digging it, both on the nose and palate, and especially at the price point. I'm concluding that I'm not a big wheater, but I'll be keeping this one in my rotation, just for the variety. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was recently gifted a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel Select and I'm definitely digging it. My neighbor across the street and his buddies bought the barrel, and this was his last bottle. I have no clue what it costs or how accessible it is, but in the few days I've had it, I've gone through half the bottle (mostly because it's so damn tall and I don't want to adjust the shelves in my whiskey cabinet). 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 6:39 AM, throet said:

Damn dude! There's a lot going on there in the back of the pic. What gives? 

Picture of my crappy cobbled together kitchen and a home still. just checking for leaks and condenser temps in this pic.

Sorry about your A/C man. Been there

• Like 1

Been on my whiskey journey for a few years now, and while I've obviously heard of Buffalo Trace, I had never tried it. Just considered it to be among the decent, inexpensive bourbons that I'd eventually get around to trying. Then before I knew it, the stuff couldn't be found, or was being marked up, like the meme stock of the whiskey world. So I was surprised the other day when they had a bunch of it in stock at the local Twin Liquors, at retail price of around $27. I of course was intrigued and picked up a bottle. My impression is this. It is a nice whiskey at that price point, really decent, but not great. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than retail for it, and frankly when I can get EW BIB for much less or Elijah Craig Small Batch for a bit more, it will probably be a hard sell for me in the future. Definitely enjoying it though. Cheers! 

• Like 1

I also find BT to be fine, but unimpressive. I can't get over the huge cola note, while many of the classic bourbon flavors are muted. However, I have quite a few times seen SPEC's barrel picks of BT, and they're generally much better and more complex. Obviously a crap-shoot on barrel picks, but both times I found them there, they were very nice. I'd certainly recommend it.  Indeed if store barrel picks aren't something you're really started to explore, I recommend them entirely. 

Oak Liquor Cabinet, SPEC's and TW&M all have great barrel pick programs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I also find BT to be fine, but unimpressive. I can't get over the huge cola note, while many of the classic bourbon flavors are muted. However, I have quite a few times seen SPEC's barrel picks of BT, and they're generally much better and more complex. Obviously a crap-shoot on barrel picks, but both times I found them there, they were very nice. I'd certainly recommend it.  Indeed if store barrel picks aren't something you're really started to explore, I recommend them entirely. 

Oak Liquor Cabinet, SPEC's and TW&M all have great barrel pick programs. 

I would not have picked up on that cola note, but as I'm sipping some now and reading this, I get it. Probably doesn't help though that I'm eating a Milky Way at the same time. 

Regarding the Store Picks, I really haven't explored those at all. However, twice I've picked up bottles of 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel Select picks from Oak Liquor Cabinet. Two different barrels picked up at different times, and both were excellent. Definitely need to explore more of their picks over there. 

• Like 1

Nice glass. Like a squat Canadian Glencairn.

Between purchases, inheritance and gift box sets, we've collected a lot of drinkware. I drink out of about 8 types of glasses. Some with variants. And for the most part each has a particular purpose. And other than those spectacular Reidel glasses on the left, there are (or was!) 4 to 6 of each of these. 

20230630_110659.thumb.jpg.bf0700fab83965ac1a52747eca976b0d.jpg

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, Barry said:

Nice glass. Like a squat Canadian Glencairn.

Between purchases, inheritance and gift box sets, we've collected a lot of drinkware. I drink out of about 8 types of glasses. Some with variants. And for the most part each has a particular purpose. And other than those spectacular Reidel glasses on the left, there are (or was!) 4 to 6 of each of these. 

20230630_110659.thumb.jpg.bf0700fab83965ac1a52747eca976b0d.jpg

Thanks! Nice collection you have. 

I've never been big into glassware and to be totally honest, I'm still not. However we recently did a bourbon trail trip and I acquired a few. Including the flavor of tonight. This thing is perfect for  a 2oz pour. 

IMG_0441.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 10:55 AM, ATXZJ said:

I picked mine up from Kelly's liquor in Las Cruces. Had a bunch of Oktoberfest beers this year and the La Cumbre has been the only one that wasn't full blown meh. 

The problem is that most of that shit is made in August. If you make it in March, like you are supposed to, then you gotta over hop it. Same concept as an IPA - lots of hops to help it keep the flavor over a longer period of time.