IGNORED

Help with Exotec squeaky mountain bike

Hey y'all

I'm new to relatively new to mountain biking so I decided to fix the big creak in my bike that was making it embarrassing to ride around in(sounded like a clown car). I thought it was the slight frame crack but I got that fixed(hence the unpainted bit) and the problem persists. After inspecting the piece that wraps around my pivot joint is bent maybe 1/8 in out of place. I'd like to keep this bike so is this fixable or is it time to start shopping. 

Thanks,

Austin Smithey

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

Welcome!

On your bike, you'll get a lot of different responses but my suggestion would be to look hard at upgrading to a later model used bike.  You might end up sinking a lot of money into a frame that you won't get back.  You can pick up a really nice used hardtail for what it would cost you in parts if there is anything messed up in that pivot.  I'm not familiar with that brand so I can't help you with the fix.  Good luck!

Not a mechanic, but I have chased a lot of creaks on bikes in the past 20 years. The most  important thing that I have learned is that it is rarely in the same place twice.  Generally I spend a lot of time and money replacing one part after another before I nail it down. 
If you are handy and have time, consider breaking the whole bike down and cleaning/lubing everything as you put it back together. Basically that is overkill but it usually has ~50% chance of nailing the problem. 

If something is missing or broken on that bike, it's time to send it out to pasture. I won't feel safe sending anyone out on a trail on that bike. Unless you have some serious skill as a machinist, you're not going to bring that back from the dead. I know that's hard to hear if you're attached to that bike, but it just sounds unsafe.

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

If something is missing or broken on that bike, it's time to send it out to pasture. I won't feel safe sending anyone out on a trail on that bike. Unless you have some serious skill as a machinist, you're not going to bring that back from the dead. I know that's hard to hear if you're attached to that bike, but it just sounds unsafe.

yeah thats what my gut is saying I should do. Besides Austin Tricyclist is there anywhere you would recommend to go for a new/used 29in (I'm 6'3") mountain bike?