IGNORED

Need help finding a new bike(beginner)

I just got rid of my old bike I got purely to ride around campus in and do some little small trials in my free time but with Corona I have loads more free time and need to get out. I'm looking for a trial bike, preferably 29' wheels (bc im 6'3") and a hardtail frame. I've been looking at bikes like the Cannondale 8 and the Specialized Rockhopper. Do yall have suggestions or things to look for when choosing a new bike around the $400-600 range?

Thanks,

Smithey

Wheels size has nothing to do with rider height.

A bike that will withstand Austin terrain for that price does not exist. You'll be shopping for new wheels and a new fork in a few months.

The used market is great though and you might have better luck there.

Edited by mack_turtle

52 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Wheels size has nothing to do with rider height.

A bike that will withstand Austin terrain for that price does not exist. You'll be shopping for new wheels and a new fork in a few months.

The used market is great though and you might have better luck there.

Do you have any recommendations for a good brand for a used bike? Or what might be easier is, brands to avoid?

Give Bike Farm and Bicycle Sport Shop-S. Lamar, a call and ask them what used mountain bikes they have in XL in your price range.

I started reading Craigslist and it's pages and pages and pages of junk. There are some gems in there but they are hard to find.

There are so many good and bad individual bicycle brands that I would have to write a book.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

Do you have any recommendations for a good brand for a used bike? Or what might be easier is, brands to avoid?

do you actually want a trials bike? As in one to do trials riding?  

If so this one looks really good

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-squared-bmx-race-bike/7099589796.html

Did you mean you wanted a trail bike?

right now there isnt anything on craigslist that meets your criteria, except this one which is rigid. I dont know the year, but it looks like an older geometry, but could be a good starter. You could upgrade the fork if you stick with it.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-10-speed-29er-marin-mtb/7109358384.html

It looks like facebook marketplace has some additional choices, especially if you are willing to drive to another city.

This kona honzo is only a large, might be too small but is one of the first bikes with todays modern geometry.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/586085352130809/

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

I just got rid of my old bike I got purely to ride around campus in and do some little small trials in my free time but with Corona I have loads more free time and need to get out. I'm looking for a trial bike, preferably 29' wheels (bc im 6'3") and a hardtail frame. I've been looking at bikes like the Cannondale 8 and the Specialized Rockhopper. Do yall have suggestions or things to look for when choosing a new bike around the $400-600 range.

please clarify: are you looking for a bike for trails or trials?

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyt said:

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-squared-bmx-race-bike/7099589796.html

Did you mean you wanted a trail bike?

right now there isnt anything on craigslist that meets your criteria, except this one which is rigid. I dont know the year, but it looks like an older geometry, but could be a good starter. You could upgrade the fork if you stick with it.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/austin-10-speed-29er-marin-mtb/7109358384.html

It looks like facebook marketplace has some additional choices, especially if you are willing to drive to another city.

This kona honzo is only a large, might be too small but is one of the first bikes with todays modern geometry.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/586085352130809/

Oh for sure I'm looking for a TRAIL bike, never done trials in my life and that was a complete typo

2 hours ago, crazyt said:

A BMX racing bike would be terrific on a BMX race track of a pump track. It's totally useless for trials riding though. irrelevant at this point, but I just want to clarify that.

7 minutes ago, Austin Smithey said:

Yeah that was just a typo, for sure a TRAIL bike, whoops

that's what I suspected, just want to make certain.

online used bike adds are all over the place. instead of me/us spending hours of our own time (because I have so many more important things to do right now, ha!), please spend some time searching Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, call the two shops I listed that have used bikes, and find some deals online for complete bikes. post them here for feedback.

for used bikes, in general:

• it has to fit you. look for an extra-large frame, which is might be listed as 21-22 inches (seat tube length, silly way to size bikes). If the size is not listed, ask the seller. if they can't be bothered to tell you, don't waste your time with them.
  • it should be made in the last decade or so. you can go older, depending on how hard you plan to ride. you could ride a rusted out beach cruiser with no tires if you really want, but if you want to have fun, don't buy a "vintage" POS.
  • used bikes can be a mine field. if the bike was ridden a lot, look for something that has been maintained. a $500 used bike that needs a new drivetrain, suspension service, and a general tune-up will quickly become twice as expensive.

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

that's what I suspected, just want to make certain.

online used bike adds are all over the place. instead of me/us spending hours of our own time (because I have so many more important things to do right now, ha!), please spend some time searching Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, call the two shops I listed that have used bikes, and find some deals online for complete bikes. post them here for feedback.

for used bikes, in general:

• it has to fit you. look for an extra-large frame, which is might be listed as 21-22 inches (seat tube length, silly way to size bikes). If the size is not listed, ask the seller. if they can't be bothered to tell you, don't waste your time with them.
  • it should be made in the last decade or so. you can go older, depending on how hard you plan to ride. you could ride a rusted out beach cruiser with no tires if you really want, but if you want to have fun, don't buy a "vintage" POS.
  • used bikes can be a mine field. if the bike was ridden a lot, look for something that has been maintained. a $500 used bike that needs a new drivetrain, suspension service, and a general tune-up will quickly become twice as expensive.

Thanks, I have been looking at the Bike Farm, Facebook, Craigslist, as well as looking at the new versions of bikes to familiarize myself with what a new bike would cost and comparing that to the used price. I appreciate all the advice very much. THANKS!!

for the new bike market, something that is actually going to be ridden on trails is going to cost $1,500+/-. you can start with something below that, but if you actually ride and and not leaving it gathering dust in the garage, cheaper bikes are going to require replacement parts and heavy service within the first year, negating most of the money you "saved" by getting a cheaper bike.

• Like 3

Facebook Marketplace > Craigslist

CL is full of scams, you really need to be on your game to get a good deal there anymore IMHO.
With FB at least you have the identity of the seller.

Any entry level bike from Trek, Specialize, Giant is going to be fine as long as you understand that it's entry level. It's not going to last long blasting on the harder trails Austin has to offer. But a lot of us remember riding the Barton Creek Greenbelt and City Park on hardtail 26'ers with 3x9 drivetrains and crap suspension. We fell in love with the sport riding those old school bikes and we survived. Get the best bike you can find in your price range for now and ride the crap out of it. Upgrade the tires when they're worn, maintain the drivetrain, and start saving immediately for your next bike. By the time you can afford a $1500 bike, you'll have learned a lot and can make a more informed decision when looking at the used market. There are some incredible bikes in that price range on FB if you know what to look for.

For years I rode the BCGB on a Specialized Rockhopper 26er hardtail. It had 80mm of elastomer sprung suspension, base level shimano drivetrain, cheap wheels, and 2in "wide" tires. I loved it. That frame is now a lamp hanging on the wall of my garage. It's all a journey and you're at the beginning of it.

IMG_4307.jpeg

• Like 3

Try and get a decent entry level hardtail for around $1,500-2k, look for air suspension and hydraulic disk brakes. You will learn so much riding a hardtail and you can move up and spend more money on a full suss in the future. Specialized, Trek, Kona, Marin, Giant, CoOp Cycles (REI) etc. should fit the bill.

• Like 1

at risk of starting a debate, not everyone sees full suspension as the main "upgrade" to which they aspire.

there might be two schools of thought about your first bike:

1. buy a new uber-bike right off the bat and ride like hell. the bike will not allow any excuses at all for your inabilities. if you end up falling in love with it, you'll have a solid bike for many years. if you don't love it, you'll have a cool toy around or something you can sell to get some of your money back.

2. buy a cheaper bike to see how far it takes you. if you fall in love with mountain biking, you'll ride the hell out of that bike too, but quickly learn how to ride smoother and learn the value of nicer parts that perform better. if you love it, you can keep that bike limping along as Austin chunk tears it up while you save up for something that suits you better. if you don't love it, you'll have a decent bike to ride that is probably not worth selling compared to having a bike that works and fits you.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

at risk of starting a debate, not everyone sees full suspension as the main "upgrade" to which they aspire.

there might be two schools of thought about your first bike:

1. buy a new uber-bike right off the bat and ride like hell. the bike will not allow any excuses at all for your inabilities. if you end up falling in love with it, you'll have a solid bike for many years. if you don't love it, you'll have a cool toy around or something you can sell to get some of your money back.

2. buy a cheaper bike to see how far it takes you. if you fall in love with mountain biking, you'll ride the hell out of that bike too, but quickly learn how to ride smoother and learn the value of nicer parts that perform better. if you love it, you can keep that bike limping along as Austin chunk tears it up while you save up for something that suits you better. if you don't love it, you'll have a decent bike to ride that is probably not worth selling compared to having a bike that works and fits you.

I think right now I'm looking at "school of thought number 2", get a decent-ish bike, probably used, and ride it into the ground. Hopefully by then I'll be out of college with a real job and can get a real nice bike. I just took a visit to the bike farm and the guy said that every nice used MTB get snatched up real quick. At the moment all they had in XL was a full-sus Rocky Mountain for 1500. While it was nice I think I'll keep looking around. 

your situation sounds like a good one to pursue route #2. get something that fits you, rolls when you pedal, and stops when you apply the brakes. larger sizes are hard to come by just like sneakers for people with big feet. they sell more mediums than XXLs because, by definition, most people are "medium." keep looking and be ready to pounce when something decent pops up.

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

your situation sounds like a good one to pursue route #2. get something that fits you, rolls when you pedal, and stops when you apply the brakes. larger sizes are hard to come by just like sneakers for people with big feet. they sell more mediums than XXLs because, by definition, most people are "medium." keep looking and be ready to pounce when something decent pops up.

I'm looking all over, sometimes it's great being 6'3" but also when it comes to stuff like this and like you said, buying shoes, options are pretty limited. But for sure I need an XL frame?

42 minutes ago, Austin Smithey said:

I'm looking all over, sometimes it's great being 6'3" but also when it comes to stuff like this and like you said, buying shoes, options are pretty limited. But for sure I need an XL frame?

yes xl for sure, for instance I am 6’6” and almost all XL’s are too small, now I don’t mind it but if I could get a perfect fit I’d be so happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I learned everything I know from hardtails and rigid MTB's, I think everyone should learn on one first at the very least. I went back to full time on a hardtail in the last 4 years after I broke rear ends on full suspension frames. It was awesome and the maintenance was sooo much easier. However I learned I lack the skill for one as a daily driver (for the way I like to ride) and my injuries limited the amount of ride time my body could spend on one.  Wish I could be one of those rippers passing people on my chromag (or other badass steel frames). I think for certain riders there is nothing better than one.

• Like 3