IGNORED

Loaner Rear Shock? Asking for a friend...

My buddy has a 2018 Transition Sentinel and his Fox DPX2 has sprung an oil leak. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to have to be sent back to Fox, which could take a while. I know this is a longshot, but I also know some of you people have a bunch of spare parts laying around. Anybody have a spare rear shock he could borrow while he sends his off for repair?

Best I can tell, here are the relevant measurements/info:

Rear Shock Size: 205mm x 57.5mm
Shock Hardware: Trunion Mount Top / 25mm x 8mm Bottom

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

My buddy has a 2018 Transition Sentinel and his Fox DPX2 has sprung an oil leak. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to have to be sent back to Fox, which could take a while. I know this is a longshot, but I also know some of you people have a bunch of spare parts laying around. Anybody have a spare rear shock he could borrow while he sends his off for repair?

No shock but he can also run 205 x 62.5 as a temp.

Buddy has a '18 sentinel and the DPX2 lasted 6mos before it puked its guts out and needed a rebuild. FWIW, you can grab a rocker, have fox pull the 5mm spacer and go LT. He said it was a huge improvement in pedaling and not blowing through travel and still had enough clearance for 2.5 assegai at full stuff.

https://cascadecomponents.bike/products/v1-sentinel-lt-link

kremlinel (2).jpg

Edited by ATXZJ

31 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

https://www.812suspensiondesign.com/

Contact these guys before sending off to Fox. Shorter turnaround with slots available next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

I'm not sure how to check the exact measurements, but I have this one mounted on my 2014 Trek Remedy 8 that is just gathering dust right now. It's a 140mm travel bike. If you can figure out whether the dimensions are right, you are welcome to borrow it. 

image.thumb.png.cb0f507ee8158f8179f63d1d77fe15d5.png  

13 hours ago, throet said:

I'm not sure how to check the exact measurements, but I have this one mounted on my 2014 Trek Remedy 8 that is just gathering dust right now. It's a 140mm travel bike. If you can figure out whether the dimensions are right, you are welcome to borrow it. 

image.thumb.png.cb0f507ee8158f8179f63d1d77fe15d5.png  

This is the shock size on the trek. 7.75x2.125"= 197x54. Won't work for the Sentinal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief said:

This is the shock size on the trek. 7.75x2.125"= 197x54. Won't work for the Sentinal.

Throet, thanks for the generous offer. Woulda been a great option if it was the right size...

15 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

No shock but he can also run 205 x 62.5 as a temp.

I'm curious to know more about this. The stroke on the stock shock was 57.5mm, which apparently is achieved by Fox installing a spacer to limit travel. In looking around, there are very few options with the exact measurements to match the stock shock. There are quite a few shocks with 60mm of stroke, but I wasn't sure exactly what that extra 2.5mm of travel would do. Rocker slamming into the back of the seat tube on big hits? Rear wheel rubbing the seat tube? I just don't know enough about how suspension systems work to understand the implications...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

I'm curious to know more about this. The stroke on the stock shock was 57.5mm, which apparently is achieved by Fox installing a spacer to limit travel. In looking around, there are very few options with the exact measurements to match the stock shock. There are quite a few shocks with 60mm of stroke, but I wasn't sure exactly what that extra 2.5mm of travel would do. Rocker slamming into the back of the seat tube on big hits? Rear wheel rubbing the seat tube? I just don't know enough about how suspension systems work to understand the implications...

Its the 62.5 with a spacer to reduce travel. Eye 2 eye is the same.

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=dpx2

When Cascade first announced the rocker, they said the LT would work on the AL frames then changed when production started, and said there'd be clearance issues at full stuff. My buddy had already removed the spacer when they made the announcement and went ahead and installed the rocker. He's basically the seth buckgnar of the west and breaks everything he touches. So far, he's done and entire season at dear valley with no issues. His sentinel is an XL so YMMV on smaller frames.

HTH- Marcus

Testing rocker and zeb:

Pinkbike info:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/cascade-components-announces-transition-sentinel-and-patrol-linkage.html

Tech:

https://forums.mtbr.com/transition-bikes/sentinel-140-150-link-1108173.html

Edited by ATXZJ

Yeah, I know he's seen that 3rd party rocker arm. I think the $300+ price tag scared him off.

Heard back from him today and he just ordered a RS Super Deluxe Coil shock. He's been wanting to try a coil shock and figured he'd rather spend a little more to get a brand new shock vs. dropping $200+ to fix his current one...