Sign in to follow this  
TAF

Milton Reimer's Ranch Trail Conditions

Although Reimers was open to mountain biking today, I would avoid this trail system for a good couple of days. It's wet in many places, with deep ruts, and riding will only damage it further. In addition, the extensive rainfall has allowed grassland features to flow over the trail - meaning that you can't see where you are going.

• Like 1

It is slower to open than other local trails. You can check if the mountain bike trails are open on their website:

https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/parks/reimers-ranch?fbclid=IwAR3IEGoMIZg10S9AzIgezCUrA2pVkqsIhzS9ZFJgGm_706HQHVRzcQ8752A

The 411 on Reimers:

-30 minute drive from The Y in Oakhill

-$5 per person to get in

-Approximately 18 miles of single track AND 18 miles of scenic double track. All of it has very good trail signage now.

-The single track looks confusing on Strava, but it is very easy to see how the trail system was laid out once you start to use it. Very hard to get lost, just keep on going. There are very well labeled green, blue, and black trails. Don't be scared of the black trails. There might be a few challenging features here and there but 90% of both black segments can be ridden by just about any rider. It's possible to ride all of the 18 miles of single track in one long segment without repeating much.

-Very scenic. Lots of photo opportunities out on the trail.

-All the single track is one direction. Never worry about head-ons there.

-The Flow Trails Area features big machine built features utilizing 140 feet of drop. Very different from anything else in the area. Take Milton's Shortcut from the bottom to do multiple runs. Most of the features have at least two lines to them, some have three. You don't have to leave the ground to enjoy this trail. Do it multiple ways. Fast on the ground, or taking air at every chance.

-Practice your jumps on the "13 Jumps" jump line. It is four groups of 4 or 3 small jumps to get anyone comfortable in the air. It is on the "Fenceline" segment. The jump line is mere feet to the right of the established trail tread.

-Swim in the Perdernales River after your ride.

-Hike Climber's Canyon to see a Jurrasic Park type environment. Ferns and springs. Very interesting.

-Ride out from the single track area to find one of the two Pogue Spring Canyon overlooks. It's not the Grand Canyon, but it is impressive for being "right there." Bonus jumps: there are three big water bars (humps in the road) on the jeep road just east of Fenceline that are fun hitting at speed.

• Like 4

Last time I was there it was too hot to put out enough power to get up the climbs on the black trails. I'll have to give it another try.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, The Tip said:

It is slower to open than other local trails. You can check if the mountain bike trails are open on their website:

https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/parks/reimers-ranch?fbclid=IwAR3IEGoMIZg10S9AzIgezCUrA2pVkqsIhzS9ZFJgGm_706HQHVRzcQ8752A

The 411 on Reimers:

I missed a LOT of this stuff the last time I was there. it seemed like the big multi-use loop is pretty tame, maybe newb/gravel bike rideable?
i missed the jumps on Fenceline!