Jump to content
TAF

Milton Reimer's Ranch Trail Conditions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Tip said:

Did you look at my Strava ride? 

yes, that appears to show you going —as it appears to me — the wrong way for the first 1/2 mile of your ride. you're heading CCW on Greenway instead of clockwise. how are we supposed to tell new riders and out of town visitors which way to go? where are the directions posted online?

Where's the map that shows the correct way?

Edited by mack_turtle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also just pulled up the route that @AustinBike has up on the site, and that GPX file doesn't follow the current trails as marked on Trailforks or Strava. Is that an old routing that has changed?

If I planned to ride there by myself, I'd just show up with a vague idea of what I am doing and figure it out on my own. I don't want to lead people into confusion without a map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Thanks for making me question my "opinion" about the park. Y'all are probably right. I guess I haven't learned a thing about Reimer's in the 60-70 hours of work I've done out there. The park employees I've worked with probably don't know anything either. (sheez) 

BUT SERIOUSLY, I just called the park to tell them there might be confusion on this topic. He said, "Really? But there's arrows on all the new signs! And "Do Not Enter" signs as well."

We decided that a more in your face notice will be put on the NEW COOL KIOSK that has just recently been installed at the mountain biking parking lot trail head that will more forcefully educate the public.

I think you should calm down a little. 99.99% of riders ride it as signposted. However, if it is truly a mono-directional trail system, it is worth informing users of that.

Edited by TAF
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TAF said:

I think you should calm down a little. 99.99% of riders ride it as signposted. However, if it is truly a mono-directional trail system, it is worth informing users of that.

pertaining to a different discussion, do you expect a government entity to be concise, timely, and thorough with public information?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

pertaining to a different discussion, do you expect a government entity to be concise, timely, and thorough with public information?

Reimers is a little unique: we voted on the purchase - before your time, possibly - and the trail system, as well as the rock climbing, the horsey stuff and the river access - were all firmly established. Ol Milton made it very clear that all of this was to remain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TAF said:

Reimers is a little unique: we voted on the purchase - before your time, possibly - and the trail system, as well as the rock climbing, the horsey stuff and the river access - were all firmly established. Ol Milton made it very clear that all of this was to remain.

I am vaguely aware of that and very grateful of it. I was referring to the lack of current information about the route and it's direction. I looked up the last time I was there, March 28 of this year, and it appears that I rode it the direction as it appears on Trailforks. According to Tip's recent route, I rode the whole thing backwards. I don't remember any directional signs at the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

I am vaguely aware of that and very grateful of it. I was referring to the lack of current information about the route and it's direction. I looked up the last time I was there, March 28 of this year, and it appears that I rode it the direction as it appears on Trailforks. According to Tip's recent route, I rode the whole thing backwards. I don't remember any directional signs at the time.

You had me at ‘Trailforks’. Who knows who submitted that loop. Or perhaps it is listed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the listing on TF seems legit https://www.trailforks.com/region/milton-reimers-ranch-park-17523/

but MTB project goes the other way on some trails https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8015929/milton-reimers-ranch-park

I will ask Travis County if that map is accurate. if it is not, let's try to get them updated. who has some pull with Trailforks to get stuff like that up to date? it's also not too much to ask that Travis County provide an updated map of the trails for new riders and out-of-town visitors.

I'm guessing the answer is some numbnuts put the wrong directions on Trailforks and no one has corrected it. however,

1683251908_ScreenShot2021-10-07at8_55_59PM.thumb.png.b73c4a49d1cde21974fa965876f8327a.png

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mack, Trailforks is wrong about Greenway. The part where it shows it coming into the parking lot is wrong two different ways. The direction is wrong of course, but also that particular part listed as Greenway, is not Greenway. It's the connector to the beginning of Sikeway at the three way intersection depicted on your screen shot. The Strava segment (see my ride) for that bit is "Parking lot to split." And at that split, it is left to the Greenway start, or right to the beginning of Sikeway. (correctly listed on Trailforks)

Tony 😄, I am not upset at all. Very calm. Just put off that you would not believe what I am saying. Even now, you say, "if it is truly a mono-directional trail system," even after my post that I said I just called the park to confirm the fact. (That is IF I really called 🙄) But I didn't even call just to confirm. I mostly called just to ask where that fact is stated and where we can post a sign.

"

Edited by The Tip
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the moment, I can only create maps using Trailforks, so that sucks that TF's map is out of date. I'll have to see about getting them to update it. I might be able to create a route by going against the incorrect directions. Can anyone tell me if the MTB Project map is more accurate? I stuck my foot in it and agreed to lead a group ride. I have until Sunday morning to have a route that I can share electronically, and I was banking on the TF route to work. I'm regretting that now.

looking at Tips route (which is too long and has too much black trail for me to feel comfortable leading a group through it), I'm starting to wonder if my trail has kosher directions. https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/268788/ I see what you're saying there, that Greenway does not start until that split, and that the rest of Greenway is just meant to go the other way? if the direction for all of Greenway is the only thing wrong with that, I'm probably fine. if Travis County would make that information available on the internet...

the Strava heatmap does show trail directions, just lines. same for RideWithGPS. I use those frequently to scope out where trails are in some areas, but it's useless for creating a route to follow.

the new kiosk sounds cool, but it does not do me any good remotely. I actually can't wait to see it because I need that information before I get there. that's still weird that Travis County does not publish this information online. paper maps... I appreciate the effort, but why? who is going to carry a paper map with them? 😂

Addendum: to avoid further dragging this out, I am fairly certain that the direction of Greenway is the only thing wrong with the map on Trailforks. If I can get them to fix that, and get Travis County Parks to put a current map online, that will help a lot.

Edited by mack_turtle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Tip said:

Tony 😄, I am not upset at all. Very calm. Just put off that you would not believe what I am saying. Even now, you say, "if it is truly a mono-directional trail system," even after my post that I said I just called the park to confirm the fact. (That is IF I really called 🙄) But I didn't even call just to confirm. I mostly called just to ask where that fact is stated and where we can post a sign."

I don't not believe you - it's simply my recollection that signage at Reimers is a stake in the ground with a color and a small arrow. If you are meant to ONLY ride it in that direction, it's probably worth stating as such on the sign -- same as with any trail system. Not that I have ever seen anyone ride it the other way, but you know there are people out there who will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...