IGNORED

Helmet suggestions

Kyle

I cracked my Giro Hex helmet yesterday and I figure I'll probably replace it with another Giro since they fit well and this is the second one I've cracked without noticeable brain damage.  So I go on Amazon and see three potential replacements.  All MIPS, priced ~$50, $100, and $150 (pictures may be out of order).  I think I still have a concussion but I can't tell the difference.  Is there an art to helmet selection that I'm missing?

Does anyone here take helmets really seriously and have a suggested model I should look at?  I have a Bell Super 3R also, but I'd rather not run it full time without the chinbar since it was $230.  

41EFOYO94tL.jpg

71L0g1xahyL._SL1500_.jpg

71rFOHzTphL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Kyle

#1 Giro Montaro MIPS

Features: P.O.V. Plus visor adjustment, Hydrophilic, anti-microbial padding, Full camera mount integration, Full goggle integration with strap grippers, MIPS equipped 
Construction: Full wrap in-mold, In-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner, Roll-cage reinforcement 
Fit System: Roc Loc® Air 
Ventilation: 16 vents with internal channeling

#2 Giro Chronicle MIPS

Features: Deep coverage P.O.V. Plus™ visor, Extra plush Coolmax padding, MIPS equipped 
Construction: In-mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner 
Fit System: Roc Loc ® 5 
Ventilation: 14 Wind Tunnel™vents with internal channeling

#3 Giro Compound/Fixture MIPS

Features: Full Hardbody™ shell Removable visor Quick-dry padding Reflectivity Integrated MIPS® technology 
Construction: In-Mold polycarbonate shell with EPS liner 
Fit System: Roc Loc® Sport MIPS 
Ventilation: 18 Vents

So basically Montaro and Chronicle give you the fancier visor that you can store googles under or a GoPro Session. The Montaro has a fancier retention system and a built in camera mount.
  • Like 1

I have the Montaro MIPS. I like it, but it doesn't fit quite as well as my previous non-MIPS Feature or Hex before that. I do like it better than any other brand of helmet I've tried. I don't know if maybe the MIPS layer changed the fit or maybe a different retention system. I used to ride with a Halo headband under the helmet. For some reason, it gave me a headache the first ride with the Montaro. I took it off halfway through the first ride and haven't put it back on since. The helmet itself does a decent enough job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, notyal said:

I have the Montaro MIPS. I like it, but it doesn't fit quite as well as my previous non-MIPS Feature or Hex before that. I do like it better than any other brand of helmet I've tried. I don't know if maybe the MIPS layer changed the fit or maybe a different retention system. I used to ride with a Halo headband under the helmet. For some reason, it gave me a headache the first ride with the Montaro. I took it off halfway through the first ride and haven't put it back on since. The helmet itself does a decent enough job of keeping the sweat out of my eyes.

Just bought one of these to use as a lighter alternative to my switchblade. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You were riding full time with a switchblade?

Was splitting time on a super 2 mips and giro xc/dork helmet. Bought switchblade for a killer deal but it's a bit much for basic trail riding. Hopefully montaro will fill the spot.