IGNORED

Cheap baggy shorts

90% of the time I am in my spanky bottoms (Black Bib Co) but I'd like to pick up another pair or two of baggy shorts. No liner.

Anyone have an Amazon favorite? I cannot do $100 Oakley shorts or similar, that is just silly. I'm not looking for some built in protection, just cover my butt up. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ally-Mountain-Bicycle-Cycling-Loose-fit/dp/B08XM716ST/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mens%2Bmountain%2Bbike%2Bshorts&qid=1625597161&sr=8-5&th=1

Since most of these less expensive options seem to come from Asia, any insight of actual fit would be great. 

1 hour ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

90% of the time I am in my spanky bottoms (Black Bib Co) but I'd like to pick up another pair or two of baggy shorts. No liner.

Anyone have an Amazon favorite? I cannot do $100 Oakley shorts or similar, that is just silly. I'm not looking for some built in protection, just cover my butt up. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ally-Mountain-Bicycle-Cycling-Loose-fit/dp/B08XM716ST/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mens%2Bmountain%2Bbike%2Bshorts&qid=1625597161&sr=8-5&th=1

Since most of these less expensive options seem to come from Asia, any insight of actual fit would be great. 

I bought two pairs of those shorts you linked about a year ago when they were on sale for $20. Like many things, you get what you pay for. The fabric itself is stretchy, are comfortable to ride in and wicks moisture well but it doesn’t hold up great in a crash. I had one ~6-8 mph low side that tore a hole in the leg. The chamois that comes with them are utter trash. 

the MTB shorts I own that were in the $80-$100 have been in multiple crashes without any major damage. 

if you are going to buy the cheap stuff, try to find shorts that don’t come with a chamois. I’d rather have my $43 go all into the construction of the shorts and not shorts+chamois. 

Edited by WLemke

I am ok buying something that cost me a little more. Not like a 100 more but I find if I buy in the off season I get the $100 shorts or jerseys for considerably less. I wear the hell out of them all year and for years. So a set of shorts that may run me 80 bucks but I wear countless times years are really not pricey over time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm really cheap on baggies too, they all seem so over priced. Then again, I am rocking the same Novara (REIs Old bike brand) shorts from 2003ish... Dang. But they look 2-3 years old, tops. They've held up extremely well. I remember paying $60-$80 for them. I got to remember to amortize my gear over 8-10 years MINIMUM!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I'm really cheap on baggies too, they all seem so over priced. Then again, I am rocking the same Novara (REIs Old bike brand) shorts from 2003ish... Dang. But they look 2-3 years old, tops. They've held up extremely well. I remember paying $60-$80 for them. I got to remember to amortize my gear over 8-10 years MINIMUM!

I'm tired of disposable everything.  We cannot keep just throwing stuff away constantly.  I have 3 sets of REI shorts from probably that long ago and I love them. They're not my riding shorts (I just wear bibs, but I've worn these for riding pump track and casual rides) but I've worn them a lot for 15+ years for a lot of things.  One of them had the zipper go bad and I will get this fixed.  I am not sure REI brand is as good as it used to be though.  For jeans, I used to buy cheaper ones from Old Navy and they'd wear out in a year.  I started buying $80 jeans and they last way longer, like years and years.

• Like 1