Jump to content
B@RR

Any route suggestions for Salado area?

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to put together a 20-30-ish mile route to ride with the wife up near Salado.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done both of these routes but it has been probably 10 years. I'd check google maps for any potential road changes but I don't things have changed that much out there. Sorry for format, it is from a book I used to pull a lot of rides from. The rides never let me down unless the area has just grown too much, like the ride that went on a sketchy section of 1431 that we bailed on.

Scan_20200901.jpg

Scan_20200901 (3).jpg

Scan_20200901 (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Rides-Texas-White-Paperback/dp/B011MBLOCI

The Best Bike Rides in Texas by Andy White - it is old - from 1995, but most of it is rural so still pretty relevant - looks like there is a second edition but that is pretty old too (1998). 

I have another even older one from 1993. It has a few multi-day rides as well. I like them both because they give you some good/interesting information about the area and things you may ride by.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cycling+texas+peter+nye&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Really good starting points for routes if anything. They were invaluable before gps/google maps, etc

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didn't even occur to me that the OP may have been asking about a road route. I mean, this is Austinmountainbiking... so I assumed a trail ride as default.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry said:

It didn't even occur to me that the OP may have been asking about a road route. I mean, this is Austinmountainbiking... so I assumed a trail ride as default.  

HA! Yeah, road love is virtually non-existent, easy mistake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GFisher said:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Rides-Texas-White-Paperback/dp/B011MBLOCI

The Best Bike Rides in Texas by Andy White - it is old - from 1995, but most of it is rural so still pretty relevant - looks like there is a second edition but that is pretty old too (1998). 

I have another even older one from 1993. It has a few multi-day rides as well. I like them both because they give you some good/interesting information about the area and things you may ride by.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cycling+texas+peter+nye&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Really good starting points for routes if anything. They were invaluable before gps/google maps, etc

Wow!  Amazon wanted $600 for that first one.  A search showed me the way to thriftbooks.com where I bought both of those for <$12 shipped.  Can't wait to get them.

Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 9:59 AM, Barry said:

It didn't even occur to me that the OP may have been asking about a road route. I mean, this is Austinmountainbiking... so I assumed a trail ride as default.  

LOL, looks roadie to me. Haha

roadies.png.754ce9996081328dec2e9120b5a7a25d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheX said:

LOL, looks roadie to me. Haha

roadies.png.754ce9996081328dec2e9120b5a7a25d.png

Depends how you look at it.

image.png.03a134d997b2fff862820998ffce3f88.png

This filter removes the categories so you just see all discussions. Sometimes it is really easy not to think about what category you are in when you get used to it. 

image.thumb.png.5461cfb7c5618a34b5cdcc98878c16f0.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notyal said:

Depends how you look at it.

image.png.03a134d997b2fff862820998ffce3f88.png

This filter removes the categories so you just see all discussions. Sometimes it is really easy not to think about what category you are in when you get used to it. 

image.thumb.png.5461cfb7c5618a34b5cdcc98878c16f0.png

Never noticed that view, thanks!~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 6:43 PM, TheX said:

Never noticed that view, thanks!~

I can't believe how much better this other view is, but yeah...no telling where the thread lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...