IGNORED

Knolly V Intense

ATXZJ

Hmmm, Doesn't this describe a lot of new bikes?

This patent describes a rear suspension system with at least four inches of travel and a seat tube that can accommodate a dropper seat post with at least four inches of travel. The patent also states that the seat tube intersects the downtube above the bottom bracket at an angle between 50° and 75° relative to the horizontal.

most run the seat tube into the bottom bracket and kick it forward towards the HT, to make room for the rear tire under compression.  And possibly to avoid this patent issue. Intense goes right into the downtube BUT, its one big carbon layup so itll be interesting to see how it unfolds. To me, this is like Kmart V Sears suing over who first came up with the shittiest late-stage business plan on earth.

Disclosure, in the 90s I had to file for a patent on a product my business was building to get around a cease and desist order from a former employee. All i could afford was to get a pending status but that was enough potential to get it to court, and the employee backed down. Cost more money than I ever made off the product. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barry said:

So Knolly reckons that Intense needed to examine a Knolly bike to figure out how they wanted to place their seat tube? That's just silly. 

100%

IMHO, knolly is fishing for a company with just enough money to pay them, but not enough to bury them if it goes to court ( specialized & trek ). It also might be that they figured intense was already paying licensing for VPP so why not include the super proprietary seat tube welded to the downtube design lol. Big time bad PR move by knolly.

whut hacks

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

Huh, I had a Knolly and their bike had a manufacturing design defect, rear swingarm kept cracking, went through 3 of them. Trust me, I am a wimp on a bike so it was not big drops that caused it. Could never understand how they could run a "big bike" business based on that because people way harder than me must have been breaking them harder and faster.

Based on that I can't believe anyone would try to rip off their designs.

• Like 1