The Tip

Dana Peak at Stillhouse Hollow Lake

Dana Peak campground is closed during the winter. Does this mean that the trails there are inaccessible during the winter also? Or are there access points to the trail system outside any gates that allow you to ride it all regardless of campground status?

Pretty much everyone there for just biking parks well outside the campground gate. The trail head proper has a very small lot, and a bunch of roadside parking. The trail head is where the road turns right as it heads into the campground. 

https://goo.gl/maps/rxMW3izUefCJxiiY8

• Like 1

Barry nailed it. I may park over on the Stillhouse Park side next time but I am less sure of the parking situation when the park is closed. Looks pretty limited using Street View. It would shave about 10 minutes driving each way for me though. Ideally I would park somewhere in the middle as I typically only carry 1 water bottle but it looks to be all private residential.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

So to clarify, you are both saying that yes, you can ride all the trails year 'round even when the park is closed for the season. The only issue is where to park your car. And there are multiple entry points to chose from. Yes?

Correct, the trails are open year round. Dana Peak, where Barry indicated is the main trailhead. I think you only really have 2 choices, the parks at either end of the trail system.

• Like 2

My wife and I rode there two days. She doesn't like challenging stuff. So she was happy here because there is a lot of cross country yet scenic trail west of the campgrounds. The more interesting stuff was between the two parks east of the campgrounds. We found a couple of fun trails but it was above her pay grade.

There were a lot of people there, a popular place for sure. I found out they have a specific to Dana Peak group that stewards the trails. There is a lot of signage. There are a couple of jump lines. 

It's an interesting place. I am looking forward to the April event there. It is going to work out great. 

• Like 1