IGNORED

How have people been training for the EB?

crazyt

This isn't going to help much, but I was on a strong ramp-up to some quality fitness when I jacked up my back about 3 weeks ago.  My original plan was to compete in the Bentonville Race this coming weekend and then parlay that into the EB....which would then set me up for the DS.  Now...I've barely ridden in 2.5 weeks and I'm not even sure I can be healthy enough to ride any amounts of distance at Bentonville this weekend.  Suffice to say my plans are shot to hell.

But to answer your underlying question....Theres not much I can do about it (weather or my back ailment), but to make the best of the situations.  Given these conditions, I'd be out riding my gravel bike in the rain if necessary.  Or with the sporadic weather, I'd be trying to hit some hills during a window (1-2 hrs) of reprieve from the rain.  Worst case, I'd be trying to ride a trainer indoors (but I don't even own one).

Overall, if I can't build any appreciable fitness prior to the EB, then I (assuming I'm healthy) will just show up and soft pedal the whole event.  Its really only the hills that will SUCK! 😉

Later,
CJB

• Like 1

Lots of road riding and gravel riding as well as trainer time.  The worst part is going to be upper body and core.  I have noticed that the more I ride Brushy, the stronger I get in the upper body and core.  Doing less Brushy due to rain means I feel it when I go back to riding off-road.  

Cody interested in a Computrainer?  🙂

I started mine early and got in ~4 long training rides. Right now I am in the middle of a 2 week vacation and have been eating like there is no tomorrow (not drinking that much, but making up for it in food.)

I will have an extra 10 pounds to shed and hope to be on the bike every day between my return and the EB.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Cody interested in a Computrainer?  🙂

I took a strong look at it when it went up for sale.  But I've just got too many other bike things going on at moment (kids bikes, extra bikes, bike trips, new shoes, etc..)

-CJB

16 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

The worst part is going to be upper body and core.

I've been hitting the gym hard during this monsoon season. I don't ride road, gravel, or trainer, but I do lots of squats, deadlifts, and leg presses along with other exercises for the core and upper body. On the few rides that I have managed to get in, I felt like I was able to really power up the climbs. I generally do high reps (25-30 per set) when working legs.  

46 minutes ago, throet said:

I've been hitting the gym hard during this monsoon season. I don't ride road, gravel, or trainer, but I do lots of squats, deadlifts, and leg presses along with other exercises for the core and upper body. On the few rides that I have managed to get in, I felt like I was able to really power up the climbs. I generally do high reps (25-30 per set) when working legs.  

I've never learned to lift weights. Neither proper form, nor how to dose for a given goal, nor which things to do as a good basic plan. I think a lot of cyclists could benefit from it but most don't do it. What's a good resource for a basic plan and technique? 

1 hour ago, Anita Handle said:

What's a good resource for a basic plan and technique? 

That's a really tough question to answer these days, as it seems the modern school of thought has shifted to multi-movement, maximum-stress, cross-fit style programs. Perhaps those programs work for some people, but the majority of people will get burned out or burned up seeking the desired gains. I'm about to turn 60 and have been lifting weights consistently since I was 20. I'm still a firm believer in traditional resistance training, i.e. the same stuff Joe Weider introduced in the 50s. I started a new thread where I can share some of my thoughts on the subject and we can hear from others as well.    

• Like 1

Most of my riding has been in Colorado this summer, not Texas, so with all the rain I've basically done little training. I also don't care whether I finish or not, so I have that going for me. I'm going to take off packless, and ride until I feel like I've stopped having fun. Hopefully I'll at least make it up Yaupon, then it's decision time. For the first time, I'm not taking anyone with me, so I'm hoping to be quite a bit faster than in previous years.

My normal XC training, which is riding the bike whenever I can and occasional structured workouts with a power meter.

I shoot for a Minimum of 7 hours of moving Time each week on the bike. I’ll do everything I need to at least get that. That may mean smaller rides and twice a day rides. I also take my bike to the store for errands and carry it, but I don’t log these tiny rides.

I’ve also cut sugars and snacks and continue to lose weight.

With the rain I have had many days on the streets repeating the nastier street hills and getting acquainted again with the pacing of those climbs. Weekends I’ve gotten some long road 50-70 mi rides in on the MTB. I’ve also been lucky enough to travel to MTB destinations during this rain and get massive amounts of riding in.

Leading up to it, I will ride every day (7-10day block) to build stress in the body as then taper off the week of with an easy day and two rest days later in the week leading up.

Then I will carb the F up on Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haven't really been riding much, especially on the MTB.  I finally got in my first mtb ride in a month at brushy last week.  Definitely not in shape for it, but we'll see how it goes.  If nothing else I'll do Walnut - > St Ed's then ride back to the house.  Big assumption that we'll actually have dry trails, though!

1 hour ago, Bamwa said:

Imma eat some chips and queso for a week then taquitos for a week then tacos for a week then burritos for a week and after all that should be ready for enchiladas. I hope.

Go to Maudie's on 360, order the tostada, and the burger.  Open the burger, put the tostada in.  Report back.

• Like 1

Typhoons sent me back to Austin a couple days early. Might try to get some training in before departing to Bentonville next week. Apparently everything here is wet, so will probably be hitting the streets with 40 pounds of pressure in my MTB tires. Maybe I'll put a brick or two in my camelbak.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Typhoons sent me back to Austin a couple days early. Might try to get some training in before departing to Bentonville next week. Apparently everything here is wet, so will probably be hitting the streets with 40 pounds of pressure in my MTB tires. Maybe I'll put a brick or two in my camelbak.

Did it rain last night? As of yesterday things had been drying out pretty well around town. 

Interesting. A group of us rode Brushy this morning and it didn't appear to have gotten any rain. Rode Rim, Picnic, Mulligan, and Deception. All were in great shape and even the wet spots have finally dried out. It rained at my house last night for a couple of minutes according to my wife, and we live a mile from the west end of Brushy. 

• Like 1