IGNORED

Shimano Pad Question

AustinBike

6 hours ago, AustinBike said:

These were resin, replacing with metallic.

They will feel different (I like metallics fwiw) and they will be noisier but I think you'll like them.

After digging for a while, I found the details on the resin compound change from Shimano.  My bike came with L02A pads and they lasted 1000 miles.

Original Ice-Tech brake pads with cooling fins for SHIMANO Flatmount brake calipers. 
The organic L03A brake pads stand out for even and quiet braking as well as great modulation. Compared to the predecessor model L02A, SHIMANO was able to improve the wear resistance by up to 40%. 

Details:
• Revised brake pad made from synthetic resin
• Organic / Resin
• For dry and wet conditions
• Aluminium backing with cooling fins (SHIMANO Ice-Tech Technology)
• Slim version 

Improve wear resistance by 40%? Based on the fact that I got 1000 miles out of those brakes, 1400 is not a huge benefit. My urban bike gets ~3-4,000 miles a year off of a set, if not more. Metallic is a better value in my mind, mostly because I do not want to have to keep checking break wear throughout the year. I prefer to focus on riding.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Spoke to Wes and am going to drop it off this week. That is my guess on what he is going to do. Pulled the front brakes and those were also an issue with the pad extending over the top of the rotor. But the gap was much smaller, I was able to file it down. However, when I move to metallic pads on the front I will need the calipers ground down because metallic pads are far more difficult to grind down.

If the frame is still under warranty you might not want to mess with grinding or machining the brake mounts which could void the warranty. Another option would be to take some material off the caliper itself. As far as being precise about the machining I wouldn't worry too much, the mount surfaces just have to be close to level you can use the orbital washers that Shimano has to get the caliper aligned properly.

1 hour ago, Chief said:

If the frame is still under warranty you might not want to mess with grinding or machining the brake mounts which could void the warranty. Another option would be to take some material off the caliper itself. As far as being precise about the machining I wouldn't worry too much, the mount surfaces just have to be close to level you can use the orbital washers that Shimano has to get the caliper aligned properly.

It is a carbon frame so my guess is that all of the grinding will happen on the calipers and not the mounts. I will let the pros figure out the best strategy, way beyond my expertise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

No hijack but came across these pads for a good price and figured i'd post.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-J04C-Brake-Disc-Metal-ICE-TECH-Pads-for-XTR-XT-SLX-DEORE-M7000-M8000/183292266211

Fabrique Au Japon but ship from Guangdong.  Seems legit.

I've used "TruckerCo" brand knockoff shimano pads in the past and couldn't tell the difference.  They were super cheap too.

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Fabrique Au Japon but ship from Guangdong.  Seems legit.

I've used "TruckerCo" brand knockoff shimano pads in the past and couldn't tell the difference.  They were super cheap too.

Having spent a lot of time in China, I am always suspect of things from there like this. Their pirating ability is strong down to packaging and labels. If Shimano makes pads in Japan (as I suspect) then any cheap ones from Guangdong are probably not real.

I was able to get real Shimano pads on the front and back, metal, from Amazon, and they have awesome stopping power. Did 2 rides on them and it is like night and day.

• Like 1