The Tip

Mini Dana Peak Bike Fest April 9th-11th

28 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

I agree that it's possible for outdoor spread to occur when you have inconsiderate folks obstinately ignoring guidelines (like the Rose Garden event). Outdoors with 6' separation for sustained exposure, or even brief outdoors close exposure (like passing on a trail) seem to be pretty safe activities even when unmasked. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of real research on the idea, outside of that one discounted theoretical model. So my own continued trail and post ride activities are all I have to go on. 

The other thing--I've never really been worried about myself or household. We're generally healthy folks who take reasonable precautions and follow the current guidelines to the best of our understanding. I've been far more concerned with becoming an unbeknownst spreader, and then infecting the more venerable, including some with whom I work closely. But I think the good news here is that by April, even though we will not have achieved heard immunity (though survived infection + vaccination) I do think it is likely that the most venerable among us will be vaccinated by then, alleviating my primary concern. I will, however, continue to take reasonable precautions until I'm vaccinated as well.

• Like 6

It's a shame that a lot of the damage being done is people treating others like shit if they don't agree. Keep your distance and do what you feel is right. Holier than thou shit talkers aren't helping anything.

My wife and I "spur of the moment" camped this weekend at Belton Lake because Dana Peak camping is closed for the winter. And Union Grove, the other Army Corp campground on Stillhouse Hollow Lake was booked. Our Live Oak Ridge campsite was 20 minutes or so from Dana Peak.

The first thing we did when we started our ride at Dana Peak was to check out the camping facilities. Tent sites 1-8 have just a picnic table, charcoal grill, and a fire ring. And that's it. No electric, and no water. 

There are 20 RV sites, 1-20. Our #7 site is going to work out great. Lots of room around the fire pit for a BIG ring of folks!  Most of the RV sites have plenty of room for a tent. I think that the RV sites are allowed only one tent. I haven't gotten a definitive answer if more than one would be allowed.  Sites 21-25 are designated for tents only, but they have everything the RV sites have. A shelter covering a picnic table, water, electric, fire ring, charcoal grill. It's all very nice.

The riding was good. I'm pretty sure there are two days of good riding available regardless of the skill level of the rider. This is going to work out very well!

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, The Tip said:

I think that the RV sites are allowed only one tent.

Why do you think that? My site 12  details page says max 16 people and 4 cars. It doesn't specify tent capacity. I sent them an email though the contact form trying to clarify this. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Barry said:

Why do you think that? My site 12  details page says max 16 people and 4 cars. It doesn't specify tent capacity. I sent them an email though the contact form trying to clarify this. 

Good. I hope you get a quick response. I tried to call about that and some other questions but there wasn't anyone to answer the phone because they were closed. 

I just called them and got through. Turns out my site 12 is a "double site." 16 person and 4 car capacity. I'll have to think on that a bit. But yeah, the lady who answered the phone said that since tents are all difference sizes, multiple tents are allowed. Presumably enough for the particular site's capacity. She said as long as you are entirely on your site, it didn't matter. 

The other thing I asked was bout the electric. The site says 50 amp (for hookups). I wanted to know if it was ONLY a 50 amp, in which case I'd need to bring a converter, or if it also has 110v. She said that the boxes "should" have 50 amp, 30 amp, and 110v plugs. 

• Like 1

So are we going to organize any group rides?  The trails east of the hill can be a little confusing.