IGNORED

Mini Dana Peak Bike Fest April 9th-11th

The Tip

28 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

I agree that it's possible for outdoor spread to occur when you have inconsiderate folks obstinately ignoring guidelines (like the Rose Garden event). Outdoors with 6' separation for sustained exposure, or even brief outdoors close exposure (like passing on a trail) seem to be pretty safe activities even when unmasked. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of real research on the idea, outside of that one discounted theoretical model. So my own continued trail and post ride activities are all I have to go on. 

The other thing--I've never really been worried about myself or household. We're generally healthy folks who take reasonable precautions and follow the current guidelines to the best of our understanding. I've been far more concerned with becoming an unbeknownst spreader, and then infecting the more venerable, including some with whom I work closely. But I think the good news here is that by April, even though we will not have achieved heard immunity (though survived infection + vaccination) I do think it is likely that the most venerable among us will be vaccinated by then, alleviating my primary concern. I will, however, continue to take reasonable precautions until I'm vaccinated as well.

• Like 7

My wife and I "spur of the moment" camped this weekend at Belton Lake because Dana Peak camping is closed for the winter. And Union Grove, the other Army Corp campground on Stillhouse Hollow Lake was booked. Our Live Oak Ridge campsite was 20 minutes or so from Dana Peak.

The first thing we did when we started our ride at Dana Peak was to check out the camping facilities. Tent sites 1-8 have just a picnic table, charcoal grill, and a fire ring. And that's it. No electric, and no water. 

There are 20 RV sites, 1-20. Our #7 site is going to work out great. Lots of room around the fire pit for a BIG ring of folks!  Most of the RV sites have plenty of room for a tent. I think that the RV sites are allowed only one tent. I haven't gotten a definitive answer if more than one would be allowed.  Sites 21-25 are designated for tents only, but they have everything the RV sites have. A shelter covering a picnic table, water, electric, fire ring, charcoal grill. It's all very nice.

The riding was good. I'm pretty sure there are two days of good riding available regardless of the skill level of the rider. This is going to work out very well!

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, The Tip said:

I think that the RV sites are allowed only one tent.

Why do you think that? My site 12  details page says max 16 people and 4 cars. It doesn't specify tent capacity. I sent them an email though the contact form trying to clarify this. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Barry said:

Why do you think that? My site 12  details page says max 16 people and 4 cars. It doesn't specify tent capacity. I sent them an email though the contact form trying to clarify this. 

Good. I hope you get a quick response. I tried to call about that and some other questions but there wasn't anyone to answer the phone because they were closed. 

I just called them and got through. Turns out my site 12 is a "double site." 16 person and 4 car capacity. I'll have to think on that a bit. But yeah, the lady who answered the phone said that since tents are all difference sizes, multiple tents are allowed. Presumably enough for the particular site's capacity. She said as long as you are entirely on your site, it didn't matter. 

The other thing I asked was bout the electric. The site says 50 amp (for hookups). I wanted to know if it was ONLY a 50 amp, in which case I'd need to bring a converter, or if it also has 110v. She said that the boxes "should" have 50 amp, 30 amp, and 110v plugs. 

• Like 1

I'm excited about this whole thing but wanted to wait until it was closer to start the chatter about it.

WELLLLL, it's only a month away now. So let the chatter begin!  😄

All the RV sites are now reserved. By my count we will have 35+ people. That's not assuming better halves are coming, which of course some will. I'm also sure there will now be people deciding, "sure, why not" and will be coming. That's great.

Yes, I thought we should organize some group rides. Friday afternoon, Saturday morning (time?), and Saturday afternoon(time?)? Does that sound right?  I would like to find some ride leaders that know the park. Hopefully maybe three at least, and someone willing to lead a lower impact ride too. I thought of reaching out on the Dana Peak Facebook page. Knowing the mountain bike community I'm sure we could get as many volunteers as needed. Or, do we want to "keep it in the family" and not bring in strangers? Strangers that will be our friends after the ride and two beers though.

I'm planning on one more ride Sunday morning but by then everyone will know the park and know what they want to do again. So that's an on-your-own thing I would assume.

If anyone has decided that want to come now, say something here. The park has liberal rules about how many can tent camp on each site. So having a place for you shouldn't be a problem. We just need to be sure everyone has a place. Some folks are tenting on our site so they can use our water and electric. Remember, the few tent sites still available to reserve, have no water or electric.

Our spot is number 8. It has lots of room around the fire pit to enable a big group with social distancing. It's also the closest space to the bathroom. That will be convenient for our evening Imbibing/Dranking!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

Because of the winter storm pushing the tax deadline back I've been given the green light to do this. Talked to someone with a reserved tent spot already.

Yay!

"Reserved tent spot." 

Does that mean a tent spot on someone's RV spot? Or a spot in sites number 21-25 that are tent only spots but have water, electric, and a pavilion? Or (gasp) tent sites T-1 through T-8 that are really just spots on the ground they are calling a site? 

I don't think it's an RV spot but I don't really know. I'm happy to freelance to a more convenient spot once I get there with whoever has shade an any extra room. You are going to top the current offer of a portable shower which may or may not be critical depending on the lake and swimming conditions.

3 minutes ago, taco_junkie said:

I don't think it's an RV spot but I don't really know. I'm happy to freelance to a more convenient spot once I get there with whoever has shade an any extra room. You are going to top the current offer of a portable shower which may or may not be critical depending on the lake and swimming conditions.

I've been taking this image to mean toilet and shower facilities are available.  But yeah, maybe those guys are being attacked by an octopus? And maybe that couple are just standing on each side of a 2x4, perhaps to fend off the octopus? 

image.png.4eac465fa8a3934b884a7d8880a64e03.png

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

About a week to go. Yipee! Weather is looking perfect. Hope the 10 day forecast holds.

I still have an extra site reserved. Just PM me and it's yours. $24/night. It's an RV site but just tent camping on it is perfectly legal. It's site #7 right across from the bathroom. 

This could easily get to be a yearly thing. Don't miss out on the inaugural event.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, Barry said:

But I think the good news here is that by April, even though we will not have achieved heard immunity (though survived infection + vaccination) I do think it is likely that the most venerable among us will be vaccinated by then, alleviating my primary concern. I will, however, continue to take reasonable precautions until I'm vaccinated as well.

I'm happy to note that this prediction has pan'd out! And better than I expected too, since even I have had my first dose. I'm looking forward fun weekend! 

• Like 2

I'm sure that "who's vaccinated" will be a prevalent fire side conversation.

I want to make sure folks know that you don't have to be a camper to come out to ride. We have a Saturday morning group ride planned. The Dana Peak Facebook group will have some volunteer ride leaders coming to show us around. Different distances and paces that they'll declare so you can choose who to follow.

Meeting up at 9 am near the campground restroom. Roll out by 9:30. Community camp fire will be at site #8 going by 7 pm at the latest. Make a day of it.

There is plenty of parking outside the park. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to pay to ride to the camping area.

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Tip said:

I'm sure that "who's vaccinated" will be a prevalent fire side conversation.

I want to make sure folks know that you don't have to be a camper to come out to ride. We have a Saturday morning group ride planned. The Dana Peak Facebook group will have some volunteer ride leaders coming to show us around. Different distances and paces that they'll declare so you can choose who to follow.

Meeting up at 9 am near the campground restroom. Roll out by 9:30. Community camp fire will be at site #8 going by 7 pm at the latest. Make a day of it.

There is plenty of parking outside the park. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to pay to ride to the camping area.

Thanks for the update.  Me and my youngest son will be heading out in the morning to try and make the ride call.  

Cheers,
CJB

30 minutes ago, The Tip said:

It was a smash success. Good weather, good trails, good ride leaders for the organized Saturday morning ride, good group of attendees. Everyone had a great time. Well maybe not Barry. Maybe he'll post a picture.

Missed out on the weekend festivities, but @Morris and I managed to get up there Sun morning for a great ride. Big thanks to Orion and Mike for letting us tag along! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

Everyone had a great time. Well maybe not Barry. Maybe he'll post a picture.

I don't think anyone needs a photo! And I had a spectacular time right up until I didn't. Friday and Saturday were a great time. More fun than expected even.

Very early Sunday morning @Jessicanoticed an aggressive dog in our camp area. He was pacing around and growing. Turns out it was a neighbor camper's dog that had gotten loose. I made an attempt to shoo him away, and at first he seemed to respond...but then he turned and lunged. I fell, but I don't know if I fell before or after the attack. He got me in the lip and the result was a large split in my bottom lip and a small gash in the top. Jessica woke up @CBaron and he heroically got me to a 24hr clinic only 5 minutes away. Jessica stayed behind to get the owner details...turns out he was our immediate neighbor. No rabies shots required it seems. But 12 stitches put me mostly back together. 

The swelling is starting to go down, and the pain is minor, but it's still a bit gruesome. I have high hopes, but expect the scar will be obvious on the bottom. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, throet said:

Missed out on the weekend festivities, but @Morris and I managed to get up there Sun morning for a great ride. Big thanks to Orion and Mike for letting us tag along! 

Yeah that was a good ride. Glad I was able to show you around and have a beer after. Perfect cap to the weekend. Thanks to The Tip for organizing the inaugural C&D Gone Wild weekend!

My goal of wringing out every last drop from my legs was a success. Yesterday afternoon all I could do was hold down the couch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I don't think anyone needs a photo!

This is true.  Its a pretty uncomfortable photo, not for the squeamish (of which I can be).

Glad you are on the mend and the pain is minimal.  I really don't understand how that could be the case, maybe its the whiskey?  But I'm glad you are doing better.

Here's an MMA fighters interpretation of Barry's injury, except Barry's was worse and was on the bottom & top lip.

IMG_1287.jpg

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CBaron said:

Glad you are on the mend and the pain is minimal.  I really don't understand how that could be the case, maybe its the whiskey?

Alcohol isn't recommended while using Tramadol. But even when the meds wears off I'm largely fine. And the good news is that I have no alcohol DT shakes after not drinking yesterday and today! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1