IGNORED

QR question

So, I've only removed my HT Front Wheel 3 or 4 times but recently I could not for the life of me remove the wheel even after removing the large acorn nut and spring on the end of the skewer. Finally I noticed a small nut tightened all the way inside the fork drop outs preventing the handle side from clearing the opposite drop out. 

I've never seen this arrangement before, is this just another "lawyer design" meant for my safety? I can't see a reason why I shouldn't toss it. Any input for those more knowledgeable than I?

1383712147_2018-10-2218_45_46-Window.thumb.jpg.518da4437c5e806019626cec20bd63e7.jpg

I have an idea of why that's there although it's a poor solution to the problem. The ends of the axle (not the skewer) don't pass all the way through the dropouts. I've had the dropouts on an aluminum frame get worn down over time to the point that the inside surface of the dropout was notched by the axle so bad that the other half of the dropout was contacting the the skewer. The previous owner might have put the nut on to "recenter" the axle end in the dropout to avoid alignment issues and wear on the skewer.

A nut doesn't really seem like the best way to solve that issue, but it could work in a pinch.

Was this wheel used?

Edited by Teamsloan