IGNORED

Lockhart Hearbreaker gravel race

13 hours ago, JRIDER said:

I've never done a gravel grinder or ridden in this area.  What is the recommended tire pressure for a 29" ht mtb with 2.2 tires?

pump your tires up a little harder than you would for trail riding. I am not going to give you any numbers, but they don't need to be rock-hard for pavement riding, but running them at trail pressure is going to bog you down.

I am not going to bother with rain gear. being soaked but warm will be just fine. soaked and cold, notsomuch. rain gear just gets swampy. flappy fenders would be a good idea to keep the flying much off your face, though.

however- wet, sandy gravel roads and 35/32 mm tires- good idea or bad idea? not sure if those will get stuck in the dirt, or dig through it. CXers use skinny tires in mud for a reason, right? should be an adventure either way.

• Like 1

Rain gear won't keep you dry, especially if you're sweating, but what impermeable clothing will help with is a chill. You should at least bring an impermeable vest so you don't end up shivering.  That happened to me on the Nutcracker and I've never been more miserable. 

Did the 100k.  I got to meet Jason before the start.   The first half, I was thinking "why do they call it the breaker?  This is easy!"  Then we hit Sand Hill Road in the 2nd half.  That was some brutal velcro-like sand.  I believe you 50k guys avoided that.  I heard a dude say after "never in my life have I been so glad to hit the chip seal!"  I'm definitely doing other Spinistry events.  It was enjoyable and very low key.

good times. rode the 50k at a pace that challenged me but wasn't very fast. 32/35mm tires and a 39/16 was just fine. my seatpost slipped down so slowly that I didn't notice. I knew the ride was getting harder, but i thought that was because I was getting hungry. I had to look at a photo of my bike to confirm that my seat was over an inch lower than when I started. d'oh!

• Like 2

Weather scared me off on Saturday (though it seemed to turn out fine) but I was camping down near Lockhart so I just went out and did the 50k on Sunday.  Beautiful weather (a little misting at one point) and dry roads - was glad I waited though I missed the large group of folks taking off.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, TheX said:

Totally forgot this was happening, have fun!

I wish I'd forgotten it too.  That hurt!  The worst was the heat+humidity and the awful smell of those chicken coops toward the end of the ride.

I came into this ride with lower fitness than last year, and for some reason I've been getting bad leg pain in recent rides.  It could be a lower back issue.  At some point the pain went away so I could push a bit harder.  My sole motivation for going fast was to get it over quickly. 

I did something pretty stupid before the ride though...I went bouldering at the Austin Rock Gym for 2 hours for my first time ever on Friday.  I was afraid about muscle soreness, but that turned out to be the least of my worries.   The skin on my hands felt like it was going to be ripped off during the bumpy sections (tons of washboard this year).  

I still opted for riding the rocks and washboard instead of the sand on Sand Hill Road, and that made it much easier.  I also remember running out of water last year and having to stop at a BBQ place.  This year I chugged extra water during the stops and I stopped at both the stops which helped a bunch.  Still, at the end, what held me back from going a bit faster were my hands.  I also think I need to change my bars.  I've just never felt comfortable with these cowchipper bars.

That Bell's IPA, chopped brisket sandwich, and the fistful of pickles were the best after the ride.  The other cool thing is the start is in the Lockhart City Park which has a splash pad.  Every ride in the heat should end in a splash pad.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I came into this ride with lower fitness than last year, and for some reason I've been getting bad leg pain in recent rides.  It could be a lower back issue.  At some point the pain went away so I could push a bit harder.  My sole motivation for going fast was to get it over quickly. 

Could be a bike fit issue. Our bodies are changing all the time and a refit should be done every couple of years. If it's your knees it's probably a saddle position issue to high/low to forward/aft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Could be a bike fit issue. Our bodies are changing all the time and a refit should be done every couple of years. If it's your knees it's probably a saddle position issue to high/low to forward/aft.

It was my quads.  I think the quads are not a bike fit issue necessarily (been doing weights and other things lately that are not my usual), but I'm not discounting it being tied to the lower back pain.  At some point during the race I just stopped feeling the pain and leg-wise and back-wise I was super comfortable for the rest of the race.  Maybe it's a matter of loosening up a bit more before such a ride.  No warm-up and hard start is more likely my issue.  Toward the end I suffered with hand pain.  That's my main focus at this point.

I may give the Whisky no 7 12F bars a try.  I like their 68mm reach.  I'm at 95mm (yep, I think it's that drastic a change I need).  I've also never gotten used to the weird angle on the woodchipper drops.

The other bars I should look into are the Specialized Hover.  That's what I have on my road bike and I like them.  They have a rise on the flat (which I don't use often except for during a break or when drinking).  They're 70mm reach and shallow drop.

What are opinions on the Spank Vibrocore?  Worth it?

• Like 1

Hmmm, how do they measure reach?  I think different brands must do it differently.  I was measuring center of flat tube to center forward bend tube.  I measured 95-100mm on my woodchippers, Salsa lists them at 56mm.  Compare to Specialized, my bars measure exactly at 70mm center to center.  It seems like Salsa measures inside to inside.

I've not tried a lot of different drop bars, but I've used Salsa Cowbells for years with no issues. They are short, shallow, and have just enough flare to make them stable on unpaved surfaces. I have a medium CX bike with a 70mm stem. Top of handlebar is just below level with the saddle. The short reach + moderate drop makes a good balance of comfort and handling for me. TRP brake levers are comfy too.

• Like 1