IGNORED

Fox Livevalve - Cool or gimmick?

Schrute

Hmmm, what about both. Based on the fact that this is Fox and they do a lot more than bikes, I would think they have a pretty good handle on how this should work. 

But, based on the fact that I never touch my suspension regardless of any of the trails that I ride. 

Apparently I already have something that adjusts on the fly for anything from pavement to Walnut Creek to city park. It's MY brain. And apparently it works well. At least for me.

While I am a tech guy at heart, I prefer to leave tech out of my biking. Mostly because I don't want issues from the tech getting in the way of my fun. There is already electronic shifting, which always seemed to be a stupid proposition for the trails. This seems slightly better than the idea of electronic shifting, but, for me, it feels like it is trying to solve a problem that I do not have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albert said:

That sounds pretty interesting.  I wonder how long the battery lasts and if you can swap out the battery on particularly long rides.  I look forward to reviews of this once it hits the market. 

Most of the reviews I have read state Di2 types of battery charges. So if you forget to charge it, it will be a couple of months before you lose functionality. Plus when it stops working apparently it stays wide open. I'll wait for a generation or three until the technology filters down to an affordable level and the inevitable kinks get worked out. Or just say screw it and stay with what I have that is working just fine as is.

Good to know about the battery life.  Yeah, I imagine it's going to be quite expensive for a while, plus by the second or third generation it'll probably be more reliable.  What I really need is a new bike with more travel and a better fork and shock, so I'm going to focus on that first before pie-in-the-sky stuff like this.  Still, interesting technology and I'd like to see how it develops over time. 

..Al

I wonder if it has a smartphone app. I can see the danger of an update screwing up the firmware. Code issues are the biggest reason that I would not be comfortable with electronic technology on my bike. On a recent road trip I had the intelligent cruise control on my car go out because of a bug. Literally. A bug hit the sensor screen on the grill just right and blocked the radar. Luckily I was able to diagnose and fix that issue because 12 hours without cruise control is a beast. Don't really want that situation on my bike.

14 hours ago, MrMentallo said:

I'll wait for a generation or three until the technology filters down to an affordable level and the inevitable kinks get worked out. 

Pretty much this. Its coming and will be a welcomed improvement over fiddling with knobs but it's gonna need a little time. Magnetic suspension is the end game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief said:

From what I read about it, it's locked out on smooth terrain and active when needed. I never lockout my fork or shock. Never really saw a need to.

Every time I locked my bike out for a climb I remembered that halfway down, mostly from the bone jarring bumps. Lockout is not worth it to me. 

• Like 3

John, I think that's the point. You won't need to think about messing with it, the switch happens in 3 milliseconds. You won't have to think about locking it out or opening it back up (or forgetting to) anymore. I'm not really endorsing it at this point, just saying this is a big selling point of it.

• Like 1

I guess I just never really feel the need to lock-out; I've used it, and didn't really realize the benefit of it, even when I'm just pedaling on pavement. Again, maybe if I was a super competitive racer looking for tenths of seconds, but for my goofing off? Nah, for my rides, it won't make any difference.