IGNORED

2002 WC Trail Map

WhoAmI

32 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm kind of curious how this differs from the current trails.  Obviously there's now a concrete highway through the park and several trail changes as a result of that.  What else? 

Here's a rough update excluding the end of Inner Log Loop.

D

WC Trail Map 2018.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albert said:

There are definitely signs missing at this point.  Would be nice to see them replaced. 

Funny you should mention that. ARR started on that before school let out. The Carsonite posts started being destroyed. We decided to wait until school was back in session before we replaced them. 

6 minutes ago, cxagent said:

Funny you should mention that. ARR started on that before school let out. The Carsonite posts started being destroyed. We decided to wait until school was back in session before we replaced them. 

What the hell is wrong with people?  Maybe the City of Austin can install those larger metal posts, cemented into the ground, as they've installed all over Barton Creek Greenbelt.  Those Carsonite signs are getting vandalized at Brushy Creek as well.  It seems Carsonite signs are ripe for abuse on high-traffic trails. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

What the hell is wrong with people?  Maybe the City of Austin can install those larger metal posts, cemented into the ground, as they've installed all over Barton Creek Greenbelt.  Those Carsonite signs are getting vandalized at Brushy Creek as well.

You don't want to know what the cost of those sign posts are. And somebody (me) keeps having to clean the graffiti of of them. Cleaning graffiti is almost as bad as trying to delete bot posts as fast as they come in.

I agree the graffiti is bad, although most of the signs I saw yesterday at BCGB are fine.  The closer a sign is to a trailhead, the more likely it will get vandalized, it seems. At least the signs would still be there, though, unlike the Carsonite signs that are pretty easy to remove and/or destroy.  I'm sure the metal signs they installed at BCGB were pretty damn expensive. 

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

I agree the graffiti is bad, although most of the signs I saw yesterday at BCGB are fine.  The closer a sign is to a trailhead, the more likely it will get vandalized, it seems. At least the signs would still be there, though, unlike the Carsonite signs that are pretty easy to remove and/or destroy.  I'm sure the metal signs they installed at BCGB were pretty damn expensive. 

And two of those big steel sign posts cemented into the ground have been "removed / stolen". At least that is all I know about.

And Hill Country Conservancy (Violet Crown Trail folks) paid for ALL of the signs on BCGB. Even the ones past where the VCT turn off the main trail.

When you make something "idiot proof" - they come up with a better idiot.

Edited by cxagent

8 minutes ago, cxagent said:

And two of those big steel sign posts cemented into the ground have been "removed / stolen". At least that is all I know about.

And Hill Country Conservancy (Violet Crown Trail folks) paid for ALL of the signs on BCGB. Even the ones past where the VCT turn off the main trail.

When you make something "idiot proof" - they come up with a better idiot.

I'm impressed that two of those steel posts have been stolen.  I think they are just bolted into the cement footer?  I guess with the right tools, those might not be so hard to remove.  Interesting that Hill Country Conservancy paid for the signs.  Having ridden Sweet 16 yesterday, there are an asston of those signs on that section of trail.  

Yeah, you'll never stop the idiots, but you can make it harder for more casual destructions. 

..Al