IGNORED

So...BOA, yea or nay?

TheX

I hate laces. My Five Ten flats have those elastic lace things that never need to be tied. They're OK. My SPD shoes have either straps or BOA. I like the BOA system but they seem fragile to me, and I have had issues in the past.

So...yea or nay for you?

So far so good. I really, really enjoy their functionality and adjust-ability. 

But I'm constantly afraid I'm going to kill 'em on a rock. Sure, lifetime replacement and all. But how does that help me when I'm 1 day into a 4 day road trip. Or 35 miles out on a 70 mile ride? Reckon I'll have to do some creative use of  zip ties in that situation. 

Ive been running Spesh Boa for a few years. The worse that has happened is the BOA got knocked on one shoe and it popped its way out of the tongue. They have to have this release angle so you can s device them.

It save me precious minutes when getting out on the bike and I can easily make adjustments while riding to the trailhead if I stop pedaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had one break on my Specialized S-works shoes.  I don't really think it's an improvement over velcro plus the ratchet system.  If they'd gone to a single boa I could see the advantage.  But 2 boas plus a velcro strap aren't really an advantage over 3 straps or 2 straps plus a ratchet, and the Boas make it difficult to put my shoe on unless you unhook the line--which is not easy.

I still have my old Specialized pro shoes with the 2 velcro straps plus the ratchet.  They fit pretty well still but I do recall having the ratchet not stay tight sometimes.

My favorite shoe closure system is on my Salomon Quicklace system.   I wish I could get some bike shoes that would fit me and have this system.

https://www.salomon.com/us/blog/article/how-to-use-the-salomon-quicklace-system

I had one pair of Specialized shoes with the BOA, and I remember it being more of a pain than it was worth.  I'm back to wearing Specialized shoes with the three velcro straps and a ratchet for the top strap.  They've been pretty reliable and I've never had them come loose.  And they seem to stand up to abuse pretty well. 

That Salomon Quicklace system looks interesting, I just don't know how well laces will hold up when mountain biking. 

..Al

For MTB I have 2 pairs of Bontrager Forays with a single boa at the top.  They are OK - the metal wire tightens more at the top than at the bottom so I have to play with the wire a little to get it to even up.  For road I have 2 pairs of Fizik Uomo R5b's with a single boa at the top and a decorative velcro strap at the toe.  They are great - the metal wire tightens evenly all the way down the shoe.  Never had any trouble with any of them, except the occasional doozy rock strike that pops the boa on the Bontys open.  I'd take boa over laces any day, but I have not tried any shoes with the ratchet thingy.

-cls

My Specialized Rimes have a single Boa and two lower velcro straps. I have wrecked one of them on a rock and Boa sent me a two pack replacement for free. So now I always carry a spare buckle in my camelbak (see the odd things in camelbak thread). They’re easy to replace and easy to fine tune the fit of my shoes. I’m a fan.

7 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, I have managed to destroy my current shoes, so I need to buy another pair right away. I've had the best fit so far with Specialized, so I have to take a look at their current lineup. 

2931CF70-67DB-49A7-99A8-101875DCF804.thumb.jpeg.189f25e3fe464e4734095f4891a7d45f.jpeg

Mine are looking similar to yours.  I've wondered about taking them to a cobbler to see if they could add back some lugs.  I wondered if anyone else had before.  I also thought about taking tire pieces and shoe gooing some lugs back on.

They are probably still usable short-term, and it's rare for me to be walking around terrain with so many loose rocks when it's wet like that.  Definitely need to get them replaced, though.  They are also falling apart in other ways, so there's not really much life left in them. 😄 

Oh, and yeah, I love the quick lace system on my Salomon trail runners. I don’t ever want to have to tie my shoes again.

I like my Salomon’s too. On my 3rd or 4th pair. My Shimano ME7’s have quick laces and a similar adjustment piece as Salomon’s and a tongue that completely covers laces and adjuster. No buckle to break like BOA’s. I constantly scrape my shoes on rocks. Broke several SIDI buckles. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I switched from Sidi's "buckle-buckle-ratchet-ratchet" to  Specialized's* "boa-dial-swoosh" complete with emergency quick release (popping up the dial). I have love. The fit is just better and my testosterone levels are un-characteristically higher when I wear them. 

Specialize's ?

Specialized's ?

Specializeded's ?

What the freak IS the possessive of "Specialized"?

Edited by cramsay3