IGNORED

Rainy Day EB Training - Veggie Buffet

AustinBike

Well the trails suck but that doesn't mean that I can't be on a bike. I went out to do the veggie buffet - all of the streets, none of the trails (except for the 1/4 mile that I stole at WC.) To be fair, I did not do the little section to/from St. Ed's because that sucks.

I had started out with a goal of just doing the big hills, but after I got started it all just fell together. Was not planning to do the whole thing but it worked out that way. 

Some interesting data points for the the nerds in the crowd:

1. Burned ~1800 calories just doing the road portions, I would imagine the trail portions double that, so fill your tanks appropriately 

2. Courtyard was about 80 calories of effort.

3. I was burning ~6 calories a minute. On the trails I typically hit 8/minute.

4. For you keto people in the crowd, I had 3 eggs with cheese, ~12 pepperoni-sized pieces of salami and a handful of wholegrain (homemade) crackers with peanut butter for breakfast. That held me. I ate nothing and only drank water. Got home and was hungry, but not famished, could have gone a few more hours without eating.

5. The weather was perfect. Overcast, occasional light drizzle. Huge difference from my earlier rides in the upper 90's/lower 100's.

Overall I feel like being able to just jump in and do this today means I am in good enough shape for the real thing. I'll be out of the country for almost 3 weeks before so I will need to step up the training. A trip to Bentonville should help get me back in shape.

I might do another of these next Monday if anyone wants to join me.

Veggie.jpeg

FB.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice riding.

Last Monday (Labor Day), when on the night before, the weather looked like it was going to be crappy, I considered abandoning the LGT ride-call for a Vegetarian Buffet call.  I'd have done it on road bikes at a very civilized, but faster pace.  If there was any interest in something like this, then I could be up for making it happen.

Later,
CJB

I would join in. My road bike does not have gears so I would end up being on a mountain bike, I'll hang as long as I can but would probably drop because I can't keep a road bike pace. Today I had a leaky back tire so I did have to stop and pump it up a few times. The only rest breaks were top of courtyard and top of jester, both were only 5 minutes.

I wonder how many calories you would have burned doing this at the same pace but at your previous, higher weight. Interesting stuff.

My ride from Duval and 183, down 360 to 360 entrance and then back the same way but throwing in Courtyard and 2 or 3 miles of trail right near there had me at around 1600 calories as well. I suppose it all depends on your weight and pace though.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, crazyt said:

how do you make the jump from mopac to 360?

Once you are at zilker where do you go?

For me, if I'm leading a Veggie Buffet ride, I usually just go across the river under the Mopac bridge and then take the access road all the way down to Barton Springs Mall.  Then make a right onto 360.

....if I was riding solo, then I'd cross over town lake and the same spot, but once onto the access road, I'd take a right into Rolling Wood and zig zag through the hills over to West Lake High where I'd hop out onto 360.  This has a bit less traffic complexity and you also get more hills.

-CJB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyt said:

You head down through the neighborhoods and cross the river. Near Zilker I stayed on the Zilker side of MoPac and hit the sidewalk. I went straight down the frontage road sidewalk on MoPac, over the new bike bridge then dropped in on the mopac frontage heading north. Then I swung the left turn onto 360. Pretty straightforward.

2 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

I wonder how many calories you would have burned doing this at the same pace but at your previous, higher weight. Interesting stuff.

My ride from Duval and 183, down 360 to 360 entrance and then back the same way but throwing in Courtyard and 2 or 3 miles of trail right near there had me at around 1600 calories as well. I suppose it all depends on your weight and pace though.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I don't have any of my older stats. Last year, I did it at roughly 5 pounds under my current weight. I burned 6700 calories for the day and a typical non-workout day is ~100 calories per hour. With ~11 hours on the bike that means I probably burned 1300 calories (more or less) before and after the ride. Back that out and you get a 5400 calorie burn for the ride. But it is Fitbit so this is less than a science. Garmin, for instance, called my 2014 ride ~4370 calories. Today it said ~2400 where Fitbit said ~1800. I trust Fitbit because it has a heart rate monitor, I gave up on that strap with my Garmin so it is just guessing.

Bottom line: a hell of a lot easier when you aren't carrying a second bike on your body. In 2014, my first one, I was probably 185-195, and today I was 159.

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I don't have any of my older stats. Last year, I did it at roughly 5 pounds under my current weight. I burned 6700 calories for the day and a typical non-workout day is ~100 calories per hour. With ~11 hours on the bike that means I probably burned 1300 calories (more or less) before and after the ride. Back that out and you get a 5400 calorie burn for the ride. But it is Fitbit so this is less than a science. Garmin, for instance, called my 2014 ride ~4370 calories. Today it said ~2400 where Fitbit said ~1800. I trust Fitbit because it has a heart rate monitor, I gave up on that strap with my Garmin so it is just guessing.

Bottom line: a hell of a lot easier when you aren't carrying a second bike on your body. In 2014, my first one, I was probably 185-195, and today I was 159.

Strava is probably estimating your caloric expenditure based on an estimate of your wattage from the known elevation profile, your weight, pace, etc. Calories ~= power * time (joules * time). Heart rate, imo, is not a good way to estimate your caloric output due to pedalling. Same exact efforts on two different days, one at 70F and the other at 100F will result in vastly different heart rates. Also, if you ride at the same exact sustainable power output, your heart rate will drift upward over time.

all of which is to say, I'd go with the Strava number over the fitbit number. At least for the ride duration.

• Like 1

Nice ride! You are 150? That energy estimate on courtyard is pretty interesting. Is that for just 360 - CP road?

I did a simlar ride this weekend on the Mountain bike. Strava estimated my calories at 4000 which is aggressive.  This was a much flatter route without any widowmaker climbs. It was much easier to keep HR low than the ride you did(which was harder).  

Preride: PEC Breakfast Taco and black coffee

During: 64 OZ gatorade + water mix, some extra salt, Redbull at mile 40, 300 Calories of Cliff Gu blocks

• Distance
    68 mi
  • Elevation Gain
    2,635 ft
  • Time

4h 28m

Edited by FJsnoozer

22 minutes ago, FJsnoozer said:

Nice ride! You are 150? That energy estimate on courtyard is pretty interesting. Is that for just 360 - CP road?

I did a simlar ride this weekend on the Mountain bike. Strava estimated my calories at 4000 which is aggressive.  This was a much flatter route without any widowmaker climbs. It was much easier to keep HR low than the ride you did(which was harder).  

Preride: PEC Breakfast Taco and black coffee

During: 64 OZ gatorade + water mix, some extra salt, Redbull at mile 40, 300 Calories of Cliff Gu blocks

• Distance
    68 mi
  • Elevation Gain
    2,635 ft
  • Time

4h 28m

you did 18 more miles in the same 4.5 hours so I would think that would compensate for the reduced elevation per mile. at roadie speeds, with upright mtb positioning, I'd think that wind resistance becomes a larger and larger burden.

1 hour ago, FJsnoozer said:

I am 160 now. The courtyard estimate came from my Fitbit. I checked it at 360/courtyard while waiting for the light (1425) and then at the top of courtyard (1505). The run down to CP Road was probably 2 minutes top (all downhill), so that was probably a rounding error on calories at that point.

21 hours ago, crazyt said:

There are lots of routes from Zilker to 360 near Scottish Woods. I go under MOPAC due west of Zilker on Rollingwood. At Bee Caves the same road becomes Old Walsh Tarlton Follow that road until it "T"s at Wilderness. Turn right on Wildernest. Turn left at Walsh Tarlton and next right (less than a normal block) on Pinnacle. At the Westlake schools (jr high and high school) turn left on Westbank. At the top of that Westbank climb is 360 directly across from Scottish Woods.

This sounds complicated but I recall this is actually a marked bike route so it is easy to follow. But in terms of easy to follow, Austin Bike's route is hard to beat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cxagent said:

There are lots of routes from Zilker to 360 near Scottish Woods. I go under MOPAC due west of Zilker on Rollingwood. At Bee Caves the same road becomes Old Walsh Tarlton Follow that road until it "T"s at Wilderness. Turn right on Wildernest. Turn left at Walsh Tarlton and next right (less than a normal block) on Pinnacle. At the Westlake schools (jr high and high school) turn left on Westbank. At the top of that Westbank climb is 360 directly across from Scottish Woods.

This sounds complicated but I recall this is actually a marked bike route so it is easy to follow. But in terms of easy to follow, Austin Bike's route is hard to beat.

Yep, this is the route I hinted at it my prior post.  Its safe, fun and has some decent rollers in it.

-CJB

• Like 1

Anyone interested in riding this route on Sunday? I’ve done it multiple times solo but would welcome company. I ride a rigid 29er with 2.2 light CX tires and will probably avg about 12mph. I usually take a short break at city park and watch the sunrise and usually have to walk the very top of Courtyard as well as the beginning of Jester. My availability is either very early or mid morning.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, cxagent said:

I knew that sequence of roads seemed very familiar!  http://www.dashugel.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/TDH_2017_trifold_03.pdf

9 hours ago, attaboy said:

Anyone interested in riding this route on Sunday? I’ve done it multiple times solo but would welcome company. I ride a rigid 29er with 2.2 light CX tires and will probably avg about 12mph. I usually take a short break at city park and watch the sunrise and usually have to walk the very top of Courtyard as well as the beginning of Jester. My availability is either very early or mid morning.

Depending on trail conditions I might be up for that but I would be on a MTB, averaging ~10MPH. I'll ping you once I know what this weekend holds. Starting from our neighborhood ~8-9 would be my schedule, it is a 5 hour round trip, no need for me to start before the sunrise 😉

On 9/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, cxagent said:

Thats my work commute route: Zilker> right on Rollingwood > straight on Old walsh Tarlton> right and ride under walsh tarlton  to Pinnacle > left on Westbank to 360/scotishwoods.

Its  pretty much steady climbing the whole way other than the stretch of downhill on rolling wood. Almost 5 miles and 700 feet.  Its a very bike friendly route with little interruption. 

Edited by FJsnoozer