IGNORED

Time Pedal Users?

TheX

I'm thinking about dedicating some time over the winter months to training with clipless pedals. I ride gravel and road with them but have never wanted to use them on my mountain bikes. I'm thinking Time is what I want to use, instead of the SPD that I've used for MANY years.

Sooo, who here uses Time, and am I on the right track here?

Another happy Time user here. I've got a couple pairs of the older Aliums, which have been bulletproof, and a newer version with the square rails (also no problems). I love the float, engagement, etc. I'm thinking about getting a pair of the platform pedals they released recently as well.

The only issue is it's harder to swap bikes with your buddy since no one else runs Time's, but that may not actually be an issue... lol.

Edited by schoolie

One thing I will say about Time pedals is that they have different grades and the cheaper grades are not as worthwhile.

I have the XC2 pedals on my urban commuter bike and they are fine for that, but I would not use them on the trail. For the trail I get the XC8's which are carbon and more durable. I have never tried the platforms, used to ride the Aliums and those were bombproof, but they were discontinued sadly.

These pedals are really a case of getting what you paid for in terms of durability, it's not all about weight.

• Like 1

Went out and did my Saturday loop at Walnut this morning. I was thinking about how I would approach different features clipped in. Normally, I never think about my feet...today it felt like my feet were in the wrong position the entire time. Haha, I've used flats for YEARS. 

I’m so over times.

Started with spds in 96 then switched frogs for a few years then to atacs. I’m duck-footed and float was my priority. 
Rode times from 04-05 till 2016.

Most of that was on Aliums, which seemed to offer the best combination of float, platform, reliability, consistently. But after being disco’d I went from used pair to used pair. That got tedious - trying to find them as they’d wear out. Bit the bullet and tried my old XS’s then newer Times (MX), but some of the issues I had with them all along never went away and started to bother me more. Rock strikes on the underside causing releases and the cleats wearing so quickly that they never really felt as consistent as I thought. MX seemed promising but the platform’s teeth made clipping out really hard when I wasn’t completely upright. It was basically impossible if I was leaning (or falling!). 

Meanwhile, all of my friends were on spds and never had the issues I did: Rock strike release, clear wear and inconsistent feel, bent bars , etc. Their spds lasted much longer and were far more reliable. 

Somewhat reluctantly Switched to XTs in 2016 (only about 6 wks before EB!) and by then they had widened them.  Got em at performance so I could return. 

FF 3 yrs and I’m on the same pedals AND cleats. That was never the case with times over the ~15 yrs I used them. Cleats needed replacing every year or two (and wasn’t riding nearly as much) and their performance would degrade with wear.  My XTs have been so incredibly solid - consistent, durable, few unintentional releases. Can’t believe I put up with Times for so long. It’s like when your shifting degrades over time but you hardly notice...  

And my XTs still spin like new...

Edited by ssorgs
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, ssorgs said:

FF 3 yrs and I’m on the same pedals AND cleats.

And my XTs still spin like new...

I still use the same set of shimano m535 pedals I bought in 1998. Beaten to crap but still work just fine. Cleats I have on there are probably 6 years old or so. I had bought a new set but after removing, scrubbing, cleaning and lubing, put the old cleats back on since I couldn't see much difference between them and the new ones. 

Edited by jcarneytx

I have XT's that are 15 years old I think. They are still on my spin bike. They went through quite a few bike. I actually have 3 or 4 sets of the Performance campus pedal. Flat on one side and SPD on the other. 

I have never used clipless on mountain bikes. Till now, hopefully.

Like the the feel of Time pedals but have seen 2 buddies blow up their Time's on the middle of a ride. They were higher end pedals but my friends had poor technique and hit rocks. Pedals ripped off spindles but did stay clipped to the shoes, lol. I have Shimano DX m647 pedals and hit rocks all the time.  They are old and have been rebuilt twice but run perfectly.  Might upgrade when XT 8120 is available. 

2 hours ago, rockshins said:

Like the the feel of Time pedals but have seen 2 buddies blow up their Time's on the middle of a ride. They were higher end pedals but my friends had poor technique and hit rocks. Pedals ripped off spindles but did stay clipped to the shoes, lol. I have Shimano DX m647 pedals and hit rocks all the time.  They are old and have been rebuilt twice but run perfectly.  Might upgrade when XT 8120 is available. 

hmmm. ive ridden and abused times for years now and I have broken a few of the spring-clip system from hard rock strikes but ive never had nor seen a pair come off the spindle like that. there was a short period of time where I tried various crank brothers mallets and while they worked, they were great, but almost every single pair had that exact issue of the pedal breaking off the spindle.