IGNORED

Revel rims- recyclable alternative to carbon fiber

mack_turtle

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-revels-recyclable-rw30-fusion-fiber-wheels.html

pretty stoked on this. I have refused to use carbon fiber on my bike for a few admittedly spurious reasons, but I make no apology for my concern over the fact that all carbon fiber eventually becomes landfill trash, not to mention the toxic manufacturing process. according to the claims here, this product requires a less destructive process and the product is relatively easy to recycle. sweet!

No rim lasts forever. It's nice to know it's not automatically destined for the landfill. I am not about to spend $1,400 on rims, I just hope the idea catches on for this manufacturing technique and is applied to other things, especially large non-bike things.

Edited by mack_turtle

14 hours ago, TheX said:

Carbon is no more toxic than the phones we all carry. And rims last longer.

I think the point is simply that having bio-friendly alternatives is a good thing regardless of the application. Sprint will generally take phones back in trade but not sure what they do with them. Best Buy claims to recycle cell phones, although admittedly I don't know if that means that parts of them are truly recycled or if they just dispose of them in the safest possible way.  

As an owner of "boutique" carbon wheels i can say they are not worth it, recyclable or not. The Revel 29s are listed 1840 grams for $2200 and one could build a good set of aluminum wheels for around 1900 grams for 60% less in cost.  Save yourself the hand wringing of whether or not carbon is recyclable, and just don't buy it. 

BTW, I like Revel bikes and have nothing against them.

On that note, electronics recycling is in high demand. Just about every manufacturer wants your batteries and chips back. That's no reason to expect electronics to be cheap and disposable, but there's always a better way to dispose of something when it's no longer useful.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/p2/recycle/electronics/manufacturer-list.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

As an owner of "boutique" carbon wheels i can say they are not worth it, recyclable or not. The Revel 29s are listed 1840 grams for $2200 and one could build a good set of aluminum wheels for around 1900 grams for 60% less in cost.  Save yourself the hand wringing of whether or not carbon is recyclable, and just don't buy it. 

BTW, I like Revel bikes and have nothing against them.

I was going to say, I think the thermoplastic is going to be heavier.  I've gotten to use thermoplastic printed circuit boards for RF/microwave applications, also with chopped fibers (fiberglass in this case) and they had advantages, but also many disadvantages compared to the usual epoxy pre-preg.

What aluminum rims should I look at if I want decent weight, good lateral stiffness?  I have ridden on Stan's ZTR 355, Stan's Crest, Stan's flow and none compared to my now fairly old Nox rims.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I was going to say, I think the thermoplastic is going to be heavier.  I've gotten to use thermoplastic printed circuit boards for RF/microwave applications, also with chopped fibers (fiberglass in this case) and they had advantages, but also many disadvantages compared to the usual epoxy pre-preg.

What aluminum rims should I look at if I want decent weight, good lateral stiffness?  I have ridden on Stan's ZTR 355, Stan's Crest, Stan's flow and none compared to my now fairly old Nox rims.

My preference for strength and weight would be DT XM 481.  WTB Asym are a good lower cost option but a bit heavier.  I have the 481 on my FS and the Asym on the SS and both have been rock solid unlike the WTB i19 that I turned into a Taco hitting a berm.  That one hurt a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

1 hour ago, Txduc said:

My preference for strength and weight would be DT XM 481.  WTB Asym are a good lower cost option but a bit heavier.  I have the 481 on my FS and the Asym on the SS and both have been rock solid unlike the WTB i19 that I turned into a Taco hitting a berm.  That one hurt a bit.

X2 on the 481s

DT Swiss seems to have the strongest aluminum hoops for their weight. Had a couple sets of DT with no issues. My buddy who's basically the seth buckgnar of utah has destroyed every hoop he's owned but DT.

Stopped buying stans after the MK3 stuff came out. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

As an owner of carbon wheels I can say they are absolutely worth it, at least for me in my case. I've used tons aluminum rims over the years and I don't think I've had a wheelset last me more than 1000 miles without dinging, bending, cracking or otherwise generally going FUBAR. For years my biggest maintenance and down-time issue has been replacing or rebuilding aluminum wheels. But now I've had nearly 6500 miles of cenTX rockiness on my SC Reserve 37s with little to no issue. All I've had to do is replace a few spokes. And if something does happen, I have that unlimited lifetime warranty, and a backup set of aluminum wheels to get me though for a few days. Same with the bike. I've never had an aluminum frame last more than a few thousand miles... until the SC 5010. So I don't see me going back to aluminum for a primary bike.

But if an easily recyclable alternative comes along with the same benefits at a competitive price? Sure, I'm not an intentional asshole. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Barry said:

As an owner of carbon wheels I can say they are absolutely worth it, at least for me in my case.

Same here. My DT Swiss XMC 1200s have been bulletproof. One flat and one spoke replacement in 4 years of rowdy riding, mostly on Deception. I'd probably seek out a cheaper carbon alternative if I ever have to replace them, but definitely wouldn't go back to aluminum.       

• Like 2

Dt Swiss are the benchmark aluminum wheels for me. I have a set of XM 481's that have been on three bikes and two sets of hubs. I also have a set of Nextie carbon that have been excellent so far. As far as saving weight carbon is negligible, the difference in weight between the carbon and aluminum is 186 grams for the set, not a game changer. Where I think the carbon excels is in lateral stiffness the carbon wheels track better and stay on line through the chunky stuff, the aluminum has a bit of lateral flex that is noticeable in the rough stuff. Just my two cents worth. 

• Like 3