Jump to content
AntonioGG

Lime Creek Rd.

Recommended Posts

I've never done this loop.  With traffic being so down, it would seem like now is the time to try it for the first time.  What are the best times of the day to do this loop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me, I’d stay away from Lime Creek road on a bike. Motorcycles and cars fly down that road and there are way too many blind corners and no shoulder to make it safe.

I have a super fun AWD car with a lot of HP and it loves Lime Creek road. However, the presence of bikes and motorcycles makes it feel dangerous even in a car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

If it were me, I’d stay away from Lime Creek road on a bike. Motorcycles and cars fly down that road and there are way too many blind corners and no shoulder to make it safe.

I have a super fun AWD car with a lot of HP and it loves Lime Creek road. However, the presence of bikes and motorcycles makes it feel dangerous even in a car.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a problem with people driving fast here on Old Spicewood Springs Rd.  I used to drive it fast on my MS3 or my Miata at 10-11pm.  Not flat out on the straights, more just for the corners.  I'm older and wiser now (and so is my MS3...turning 13 this month!)  

I don't ride on it for the same reasons.  I've done it with a group but never by myself.  I just drove back from riding and there were a ton of people at St. Eds and several parked all along Old Spicewood Springs Rd (some illegally) and some walking in their bikinis along the road, and lots of cyclists going W to E (the safest direction during rush hour).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The road riding right now in general is as good as it has been or will be for a long time, but I did Lime Creek for the first time in a while last week and yes, the number of jagoffs thinking it is a racetrack is very high right now. I probably won't be back out there anytime soon. I think the best times are in the evenings in the winter (in the dark to be honest). I don't think Old SSprings is too bad right now. Most of the commuter traffic that used to bypass through there probably just stays on 360/183 and I don't think the CV spreaders are in too big a hurry. May have to take the road bike out one weekday morning and enjoy the new asphalt. It is pretty sweet right now.

 

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GFisher said:

The road riding right now in general is as good as it has been or will be for a long time, but I did Lime Creek for the first time in a while last week and yes, the number of jagoffs thinking it is a racetrack is very high right now. I probably won't be back out there anytime soon. I think the best times are in the evenings in the winter (in the dark to be honest). I don't think Old SSprings is too bad right now. Most of the commuter traffic that used to bypass through there probably just stays on 360/183 and I don't think the CV spreaders are in too big a hurry. May have to take the road bike out one weekday morning and enjoy the new asphalt. It is pretty sweet right now.

 

OSS is smooooth!  When they were finishing the section closest to my house, I saw two cyclists riding it.  It was nice because all the traffic was going only one direction at a time.  They turned around right after we went so they got to go behind a train of cars with no cars behind them the whole way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't ridden Lime Creek Loop in about a year, but I didn't think it was that bad.  I feel less comfortable riding Old Spicewood Springs than Lime Creek Loop.  There are a handful of tight turns that you should be prepared for in the event that a car is approaching.  But you can hear the cars approaching and should have time to get on the (very small) shoulder.  The car traffic was noticeably lower on weekday evenings vs weekends.

Some of my roadie friends have ridden it recently and did not voice any complaints on Strava..

Having said all that, driver behavior could be much different under the current circumstances.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JRIDER said:

Having said all that, driver behavior could be much different under the current circumstances.  

This. I think they have reversed from the norm. Much less commuter traffic on SS and more pleasure traffic on Lime Creek. Of course the day I was on Lime Creek it was a perfect day. There have always been fast cars and motorcycles out there, but it was unusually heavy that day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 12:15 PM, GFisher said:

This. I think they have reversed from the norm. Much less commuter traffic on SS and more pleasure traffic on Lime Creek. Of course the day I was on Lime Creek it was a perfect day. There have always been fast cars and motorcycles out there, but it was unusually heavy that day.

Since I get half the westbound traffic on OSS coming on my street, and I know by sound some of the regulars, plus I'm here all freaking day long, I can tell you the enthusiast traffic has died down a lot the last 3 weeks.  OTOH, we just had a stoned neighborhood teenager plow through the stop sign on Talleyran at Old Lampasas Rd last week.   

Edited by AntonioGG
Meant Old Lampasas Road and not Old Spicewood Springs rd on the last sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ridden Lime Creek once or twice and it was fantastic. but I've heard from riders and from motorbike folks that it's a popular "racetrack." as lame as it sounds to spoil the "fun" for motor enthusiasts, what would it take to get the city to monitor that and crack down on the irresponsible driving? is that a common area to hear of wrecks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I've ridden Lime Creek once or twice and it was fantastic. but I've heard from riders and from motorbike folks that it's a popular "racetrack." as lame as it sounds to spoil the "fun" for motor enthusiasts, what would it take to get the city to monitor that and crack down on the irresponsible driving? is that a common area to hear of wrecks?

I don't know about Lime Creek, but OSS has several jurisdictions (as I learned by asking to become trail steward for the trail alongside OSS) ruling it.  The park is CoA but the road is Travis County and along the stretch there are 2 different CoA districts encompassed.

For the problems on our street (people running stop signs, people speeding up to 50mph with a blind hill) we call the APD district manager and request a patrol.  They give out a bunch of tickets and things get better for a couple of weeks, but nothing seems to change for the long term.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been many years since I've ridden Lime Creek. It used to be fine on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Couldn't imagine it now with all the traffic here. Although with what's going on right now it might not be too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally rode it.  I didn't start as early as I should have.  I left the house at 11:15am.  I did it clockwise.  Volente had lots of traffic, but always in batches and it has good visibility, a small paved shoulder and usually large flat crushed rock shoulders and lots of driveways.  I stopped a few times to let cars by or slowed down and rode on the dirt.  There was no drama.  I hit Lime Creek around noon and it was desolate.  3 cars and one motorcycle passed me and only 2 cars and the same motorcycle went the other way.  That's a good thing b/c it does not have shoulders in many areas and in fact has barriers right up to the road in some corners and less driveways.  It's a beautiful ride for sure.  The 3 sisters climb is tough in this heat and I think I burned too many matches on Volente Rd.  Volente beach seems to be packed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...