IGNORED

26" rim suggestions

Charlie193

My old mavic 717 rim is dead, and no longer produced, so I'm looking for a new 26" rim, which doesn't seem to leave me with a huge amount of options. So far it looks like mavic 719, stans flow, and spank spoon are available in that size. I think I've read quite a few positive reviews of stans flows, does anyone out there have an opinion on the other two, or something else entirely? I'm just looking for a general trail rim  for an xc bike, doesn't have to be super light though, as I just ride for fun. Thanks.

Charlie

Thanks for the suggestions! I had been planning on keeping my current set-up of Hope xc hubs and Hope m4 brakes- I realize they're pretty old now, but I still like them, they've been rock solid, and they were the first big upgrade I made to my bike, so I'm kind of attached to them. I'll definitely consider being a normal person and just buying a wheelset though.

The thing about the Spinergy wheels are the fiber spokes. Ten times the strength of metal spokes and still very reasonable weight-wise. I have owned a 26" and a 29" set over the years and have never had to true them. Before riding Spinergy I broke spokes on a regular basis. Haven't used the truing stand in years.

Now riding a set of Spank Oozys on the Transition because Spinergy didn't have a 27.5+ at the time. The 29" are on the Big Mama, in semi-retirement. The jury is out on the Oozys until I have more miles. The noisy rear hub and slack engagement bother me some. But am digging the wide tires on the Oozys and they seem to be holding up for now. 

Really miss the Hadley internals on the Spinergy wheelset for stealth and very short engagement. Waiting for their prices to come down on the 27.5" with wide rims. Their prices on 26" are great.

That's a huge difference in cost vs just buying a rim.  I'm also shopping for a rim, my problem is I need a braking surface so my choices are severely limited.   I'm looking at a good ol' SunRingle CR-18.  I also have a Hope Hub (bulb).  If I can re-use some spokes I'll be in at $30 plus shipping.  If I have to buy spokes, that's another $30 extra.   I'll be freeing up a Mavic XM317 rim if you're interested.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That's a huge difference in cost vs just buying a rim.  I'm also shopping for a rim, my problem is I need a braking surface so my choices are severely limited.   I'm looking at a good ol' SunRingle CR-18.  I also have a Hope Hub (bulb).  If I can re-use some spokes I'll be in at $30 plus shipping.  If I have to buy spokes, that's another $30 extra.   I'll be freeing up a Mavic XM317 rim if you're interested.

Yeah, if you're not breaking things, going the less expensive route is justified. Especially if you need a rim with a braking surface and you already have quality hubs.

With OEM wheelsets, I kept replacing spokes and truing often enough to be tired of all that. I was comparing buying a conventional built wheelset to the Spinergy wheelset. Going the Spinergy route made the most sense in that situation. Having since used the wheels on multiple frames I'm getting good value from what initially seemed like a big hit on the wallet. 

Whatever keeps the bike rolling, do it! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ridenfool

11 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

My old mavic 717 rim is dead, and no longer produced, so I'm looking for a new 26" rim, which doesn't seem to leave me with a huge amount of options. So far it looks like mavic 719, stans flow, and spank spoon are available in that size. I think I've read quite a few positive reviews of stans flows, does anyone out there have an opinion on the other two, or something else entirely? I'm just looking for a general trail rim  for an xc bike, doesn't have to be super light though, as I just ride for fun. Thanks.

Charlie

have you looked for used on ebay? Lots of people still dumping great wheelsets for cheap. You can also find great craigslist deals if you watch regularly.

I generally just look for good deals on hubs then get chinese carbon rims. I just bought some rims for about 170/each and will build them with i9 torch hubs that I bought used from seth.

Edited by crazyt

If you're just looking for a rim. Look at the DT Swiss EX471. It's the rim Aaron Gwin famously rode a World Cup DH race on after he flatted shortly after leaving the starting gate. He bombed the rest of the course on this rim and it held up. I've had it on my back wheel for a couple of years now and it's been bomb proof. It's wide enough to mount the wider 26er tires that are still available and it's not super heavy at all.

Gwin's rim after the race...

GwinTire.jpg

Edited by Teamsloan
getting details of Gwin run wrong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie193 said:

No worries, just thought I’d check in case you had only given one of two to someone already.

I feel bad. I won't need the rim for a while (holding on to it to build it up as soon as my son gets bigger). I'm sure when the time comes I can find something else.

It's yours, if you want it!

• 1 month later...