IGNORED

New Years weekend rain thread

TheX

From FRR:

We have sunshine and wind this January 1st. We will open at 12 noon today. Trails will be mostly good at first and get progressively better as the day goes on. Will be slick spots in the shaded areas. Please park along the base road in the parking area, don’t drive across to get to your favorite tree. We’ll have to be careful with the parking area for a few days. Please pay online and sign the online waiver if you have not. https://www.flatrockranchtx.com/fees

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rode some roads and paths around southwest Austin this morning. bright sun and wind should dry stuff up pretty fast. the chilly breeze was pretty rough on my lungs though, so I kept the pace rather slow. It is possible that some trails down here will be dry sometime tomorrow if this keeps up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

the chilly breeze was pretty rough on my lungs though

This is where a balaclava or gaither over your nose and mouth really pays off.  For me the dryness is the main issue but the cold is also a problem.  The balaclava retains some moisture and warmth which you breathe back in.  I actually have exercised induced asthma for either very cold and dry or very hot and dry weather.  I have a rescue inhaler I would use pre-ride in the past, but since I've used a nose/mouth covering I haven' t needed it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

Very Dry. Crowds? What crowds?
We ran into more than usual but nothing bad at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Agreed.  Crowds not bad.  Great afternoon at RPR.

I really like that place.  I wish is were 30 minutes closer.....

kinda off topic, every time I ride out there I meet/talk to someone in the parking lot from Colorado....just kinda strange.  Most say they are linking RPR & Spider.  

Edited by Shanerpvt
Spelling

I dont mind the drive really.
We were talking today though and decided that if the trails there actually made sense and flow that place would be so much better. They are way better though then in years past though. I do enjoy it and lowered my expectations so I dont get frustrated any more getting lost.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

I dont mind the drive really.

My rule is that I have to ride at least as long as the drive is in one direction. I'm happier if I ride as long as the total drive time. That's easy with RPR. It gets tougher with FRR, but I usually get it done.

It really helps to not have a lot of other responsibilities. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barry said:

My rule is that I have to ride at least as long as the drive is in one direction. I'm happier if I ride as long as the total drive time. That's easy with RPR. It gets tougher with FRR, but I usually get it done.

It really helps to not have a lot of other responsibilities. 

This would work for me. I prefer measuring my riding by time rather than mileage 🙂

@Cafeend , your right, the drive is pleasant.  I could just ride it more if it were closer (time constraints).  I get what you are saying about the flow also.  I like the volume of trail and options that intersect, makes things easy to mix it up.  Obviously riding the granite is fun too.

Does anyone know the master plan on the jump lines?  It looks like they are planning a lot more of that out there. 

6 hours ago, Shanerpvt said:

@Cafeend , your right, the drive is pleasant.  I could just ride it more if it were closer (time constraints).  I get what you are saying about the flow also.  I like the volume of trail and options that intersect, makes things easy to mix it up.  Obviously riding the granite is fun too.

Does anyone know the master plan on the jump lines?  It looks like they are planning a lot more of that out there. 

Also a note on the downhill (Jump Line). Someone working there informed us that they were allowing people to park out at the bottom of the "downhill" section, and that he wasn't sure, but that might be a permanent policy. FYI

On 1/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, Yosmithy said:

Also a note on the downhill (Jump Line). Someone working there informed us that they were allowing people to park out at the bottom of the "downhill" section, and that he wasn't sure, but that might be a permanent policy. FYI

We were there a few weeks ago and the guy checking people in at the pavilion recommended that we park at the shooting range. Worked great for us that day, but on a subsequent visit we tried to do the same thing and the range was closed. Fortunately, someone from RPR was doing some work down by the jump lines and saw us as we were turning around to go back to the main parking area. He let us park in the open space inside the RPR fence, but I don't think that's going to be a permanent option. We talked to a woman at the range and she told us that they had plans to make it possible for riders to check in at the range so you wouldn't have to make a stop at the pavilion. I'm not sure about the timeframe, but it sounds like they are trying to implement some changes that will make things better for the mountain bikers - especially those that want to concentrate their riding on the jump lines.

• Like 2