IGNORED

Buds Required

Sluggo

22 minutes ago, TAF said:

I have a couple of Y&T albums on vinyl, purchased back in the day. Dating myself, I guess.

But are you old enough to have bought them when their name was still Yesterday and Today? Now I'm dating myself.

15 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

I didn't even know who Y&T were until 85 and Summertime Girls, in spite of being born just south of their hometown. Man, there's a bunch of old people here. 😁

Haha, hold up hand.

*I'm old'ish*

Saw them live at Winterland in SF in like '74 or so. Fucking AMAZING band live.

I happened to be driving when an episode of LatinoUSA came on talking about Latino Metalheads in the world (and perception we only like "tiki tiki", etc. music LOL!) and Rodrigo y Gabriela turn out to be Metalheads.  But the best part of the story was from one of the writers' husband, who is originally from Lima.  He'd gone to an Iron Maiden concert in Lima, and it turned out he would get seizures due to the strobes.  They put him in a nurse station to recover, was told "stay here 15 minutes".  Next to him was another dude who already knew he would get seizures, but still attended every Iron Maiden concert he would. He'd just watch from close to the nurse station and wait for it.   So the writer's husband is thinking about all this when he hears Bruce Dickinson yell, "SCREAM FOR ME LIMA!!!" and the nurse had turned away and the guy ran back into the mosh pit.  I thought it was a very metal story.  

The radio show played a tiny excerpt of this and I meant to go look for the full thing but forgotten, and now thanks to you both I remembered.  Here it is:

• Like 1

I heard that Latino USA piece on my way home from a ride Sunday, which is what lead me down this path. I somehow never got into Sepultura when I was listening to a lot of similar music as well. now that I know their back story, it's a lot more compelling.

On the other hand, I got a real kick out of the movie Puss in Boots and now I know why the soundtrack is so darned good. the scene with the cat dance-off is comedy gold. I think R y G are playing in this one too:

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Such a bad-ass track released in '74 from JW! I had all but forgotten about it though until it was re-popularized via the soundtrack from Without Limits in 1998, a great story on the wonderous and tragic life of super distance runner  Steve Prefontaine. It stays on several of my playlists now though!  

• Like 2