IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

12 minutes ago, chuckt said:

I assume the preferred direction for this line is where that section is near the end... heading towards the gate?

I've been riding it more 'from' the gate lately.

I would say the preference is entirely up to you. I prefer the flow from the "bottom", which is by the gate. I simply think it flows better that way.

The new Hawg Bawg alt line IMO, flows well both directs, but slightly better from the "upper" entrance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rugger said:

I would say the preference is entirely up to you. I prefer the flow from the "bottom", which is by the gate. I simply think it flows better that way.

The new Hawg Bawg alt line IMO, flows well both directs, but slightly better from the "upper" entrance. 

Get both!

I posted this on the FB ATX MTB group and got about the level of discourse one can expect from FB…

@GreenMTBrider

Would anyone be willing to meet me out at brushy to replace this rock that was moved at the top entrance to Bob Ross. Despite what someone on FB said, this wasn’t an act of god. Assuming this wasn’t done by the Stewart or builder of the trail, Someone decided to sanitize the trail and it needs to be put back. It’s super heavy and I could use some help. 

E2036870-08C7-44D1-8DEB-209BB1B33572.thumb.jpeg.19d7b6007b197cbf4bb8ea91b2df8034.jpeg

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

I posted this on the FB ATX MTB group and got about the level of discourse one can expect from FB…

@GreenMTBrider

Would anyone be willing to meet me out at brushy to replace this rock that was moved at the top entrance to Bob Ross. Despite what someone on FB said, this wasn’t an act of god. Assuming this wasn’t done by the Stewart or builder of the trail, Someone decided to sanitize the trail and it needs to be put back. It’s super heavy and I could use some help. 

E2036870-08C7-44D1-8DEB-209BB1B33572.thumb.jpeg.19d7b6007b197cbf4bb8ea91b2df8034.jpeg

Repair the "divet" left behind would be my thought. that rock is not a gating feature, it's not a trail feature, its purpose is nil. In fact that fence post there would suggest that is the gate boundary and the rock is superfluous. The OG line that was there was way more challenging, so sanitization that was done to that area was sanctioned work...that rock doesn't represent a challenge. 

Just my 2 cents. Now that I suggested that I imagine Ronan will put it back with concrete 😉 

Edited by rugger
correction

1 hour ago, rugger said:

Repair the "divet" left behind would be my thought. that rock is not a gating feature, it's not a trail feature, its purpose is nil. In fact that fence post there would suggest that is the gate boundary and the rock is superfluous. The OG line that was there was way more challenging, so sanitization that was done to that area was sanctioned work...that rock doesn't represent a challenge. 

Just my 2 cents. Now that I suggested that I imagine Ronan will put it back with concrete 😉 

Wouldn’t the fact that someone moved it suggest that it was a feature and someone deemed it difficult enough? It stuck a good 3-4 inches out of the ground and require a small amount of technique to lift your wheel over to finish the climb. Now it’s just a sit and spin. No technique required. 

Edited by WLemke

14 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Wouldn’t the fact that someone moved it suggest that it was a feature and someone deemed it difficult enough? It stuck a good 3-4 inches out of the ground and require a small amount of technique to lift your wheel over to finish the climb. Now it’s just a sit and spin. No technique required. 

No. That whole section is eroding rapidly, so it very well could have gotten loose and someone (maybe Ronan) moved it. 

2 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

No. That whole section is eroding rapidly, so it very well could have gotten loose and someone (maybe Ronan) moved it. 

That’s fair. BTW. Ronan did reach out to me on FB and confirmed it shouldn’t have been moved but to leave it be for now so he can check it out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WLemke said:

Wouldn’t the fact that someone moved it suggest that it was a feature and someone deemed it difficult enough?

Not really, it was completely optional and you'd actually have pretty much intentionally steer to it. . Plus, people are dumba$$es and do dumb shite all the time. 

Just did a trail run at BC looking for my bar end cap and noticed that the rock has been replaced, but it's not entirely stable so best to check and make sure it's not going to slip out on you before you hit it.  I kicked some dirt and smaller rocks into the gaps to shore it up but it's probably going to slide downhill.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, quixoft said:

Anyone been out today? How're the trails after the rain earlier this week? Got about a half inch the other day in west Round Rock. Looking to get out there this afternoon.

Was out there late last night after William posted that trails were mostly good to go. Most trails were good to go then, all should be good to go at this point. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally ventured out with my folding saw to see what I would encounter. Started with my normal climb behind the YMCA up to the cliff overlooking the lake. Didn't get far before I had to start clearing cedar. Probably spent a good 45 minutes just getting through the section along the lake and cleared quite a few large limbs that were laying across the trail. Worked my way up to the twisty track section leading to Snail, and cleared quite a bit more there, at least enough to allow riders to get through. It's a good thing too because I never realized how many people actually ride that section. Probably half-a-dozen or so came through while I was working. All I cut was cedar, but I cleared some downed oak limbs as well. Rode my usual line down Snail to the bottom before realizing that the exit was completely blocked - way more than I cared to tackle by myself. Moved on to Bob Ross and Rim, and everything was clear. I'm assuming somebody already did some work over there. 

Bottom line is that I did way more cutting than riding today, but it was nice to get out and at least peddle the bike a bit. Rode PicnicX and Picnic as well which were both clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cool, thanks for working that side. We’ve had three volunteer workdays out there so far, posted on the AAR page and meetup. Started last weekend immediately after the storm clearing the regional trail and worked that Sunday clearing Picnic. Ronan cleared Bob Ross, The Bowl and had a Peddlers workday. William and others cleared Double Down and 1/4. For sure missing others that have been out there taking the time to get things back open. Definitely takes a village…

• Thanks 2

As of yesterday 1/4 Notch still needs a bit of work. A small group of us started to tackle the big trees. There is still a major downed tree about halfway through the trail that we didn’t make it to. More importantly, there are still a bunch of punji sticks from people hastily clearing the trail so use caution if you ride it  F7C102BF-34ED-483F-AE96-88E412309156.thumb.jpeg.205cf8b2689ef5d6fb26d97ba7706926.jpeg301F9184-37C3-4D15-9AFA-44EDF2E3B7D9.thumb.jpeg.dba12e2814065792cca7dabc425e4e83.jpegA6C78F5E-CE20-4FA2-B337-86ECD6F4D59B.thumb.jpeg.c1a7c42afc1b13b67e524b41a71f511b.jpeg

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

It’s unclear whether it was 1/4 or Picnic, StarFlight landed in field that’s between the two and I heard there were a lot of Austin Fire Fighters on Picnic, so I’m assuming that’s the trail it happened on. It’s unconfirmed, but reports are the gentleman didn’t make it. 

• Sad 5

• 3 months later...

Anybody putting eyes on the trails at Brushy? Really curious if they just sucked up this rain like a sponge. Might go explore in a bit, to see for myself. 

BTW, when I was riding DD the other day, I came across this. Somebody moved the rock that was right where I've always dropped off. It was kind of cool, like a second ledge with a few inches of space between. There was absolutely no reason to move it. I can understand if it somehow worked its way loose, but in 10 years of riding off of it, I've never felt it even budge. 

image.thumb.png.c1807ccbf5252dd337ec2454caa56240.png

Had eyes on it this morning and it was too wet, but left town this afternoon and won’t be able to hit the trails until Monday. If you head out let us know what you think. 

On DD, rock move wasn’t done by any of the stewards. Weird shit like that does happen, remember a few years ago someone moved the diving board rock at truth or dare and we had to move it back? I love people.