IGNORED

Austin Ridge Riders... FR512...

RidingAgain

On 12/31/2018 at 10:00 AM, HoneyBadger said:

Everyone should join ARR, they are the face of Mountian Biking in Central Texas and every governmental agency that is considering putting new trails on their land wants ARR involvement. I have personal experience of this. When I started building Peddlers Pass it was an unsanctioned trail on land owned by the City of Cedar Park. When it started to become popular the City closed down the trail. I met with them to get the trail reopened and one of the first things they wanted was the involvement of ARR. The same thing happened with the rest of the trails at Brushy Creek. Williamson County wanted the involvement of ARR to make all the rouge trails official and allow trail building to continue. I know there are lots of people on this forum that ride at Brushy Creek and are not members of ARR. Please join ARR, without their involvement there would be no trails at Brushy Creek. 

Also worth mentioning, the wealth of cool trail building tools that are available to the builders of ARR sanctioned trails 🙂

Now go spend the $40 fucking dollars ya filthy animals!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

Here's your related sound effect, ATXZ..

According to my abacus that's

$40 a year

$3.33 a month

.77 cents a week

.11 cents a day

.0005 cents an hour

So Writing Again, do you have $40?

Edited by ATXZJ

16 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

According to my abacus that's

$40 a year

$3.33 a month

.77 cents a week

.11 cents a day

.0005 cents an hour

So, do you have $40?

I just bought got mine a few days ago and it was $50! So I’m going to need some new math. I didn’t even see the $39 dollar option! Story of my life, they make me pay more to join the cool kids club😁

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 4fun said:

I just bought got mine a few days ago and it was $50! So I’m going to need some new math. I didn’t even see the $39 dollar option! Story of my life, they make me pay more to join the cool kids club😁

I did same thing.  

29 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

$50 was the default (which I chose), but $39 was just to the left. The buttons were a little odd to see as selections though. 

I saw that afterwards. Was wondering where the $39 came from. It makes it look like the $39 was monthly. 

Hahaha. Oh well. It's all good

I had to clean out my old emails and ran across this one from May 2016. I thought people should see an example of what the City of Austin and particularly Parks hears about MTB'rs. This email was about Walnut Creek Park.  (Note - I have intentionally removed identifying information. This post is not to shame anyone. It is intended to educate MTB'rs.)

To Whom it May Concern,

I've been using the park 3-4 days a week to run on the trails, hike and take my dogs for walks for almost 5 years. The mountain bikers have become increasingly dangerous and rude and there are far too many riders using the park now, which I assume has a lot to do with the increasing population in the city. Riders are on every trail in every section of the park now at all hours. They fly around blind corners at full speed and do not slow down or yield to people on foot, nearly running hikers off the trail and I've witnessed dogs be almost run over, including my own. When you have an off-leash dog park you simply cannot have this many mountain bikers using the park. I've personally done a lot of mountain biking over the past 20 years all across the country from California to New Jersey and have never experienced such carelessness from riders before. The bikers in this city do not seem to understand basic trail etiquette on multi-use trails. The majority of the time they do not call out when approaching people, they don't announce how many riders there are in their group behind them and do not slow down to pass. They do not yield and actually get angry and confrontational when walkers don't dive out of the way.  I've heard several individuals get into arguments with irresponsible riders. All of this overuse is also devastating all the trails in the park. There is far too much catering to mountain bikers in the park, allowing them to leave broken down bike frames and tires on the newly installed tire stations along with other trash and taking over the entire park for races all the time, which is really destroying the trails and speeding up erosion.

In order to co-exist with hikers/runners/dogs, I strongly believe that bikers should be limited to certain trails within the park and should face fines for not abiding by these regulations. There also needs to be trail etiquette signs posted visibly at the trailheads and throughout the park to remind riders that they do not have the right of way and that they need to yield to people on foot. The riders are ruining the park experience for everyone in this city.

Thank you for your time.

Mike

Here was my response to PARD -

Thanks you for standing up for us.  Charlie is out of town right now so I am handling this as the Trails Program Director for the Austin Ridge Riders.

First, much could be said about over generalizations in the email from Mike.  But those don't help move toward improving the situation. Here is what the Austin Ridge Riders can and will do to try to minimize conflict between the users at Walnut Creek Park -

1) We have always included training on Trail Etiquette  per the IMBA Rules of the Trailhttps://www.imba.com/sites/default/files/Team_IMBA/RulesOfTheTrail.pdf  We will emphasis those rules on all rides.  Somehow, I doubt it is the kids doing our Kid's Rides or the women doing our Ride Like A Girl  rides that are the problem.  But the Sunday rides should reach many more people and maybe some of the impolite riders.  We can start this immediately.

2) We ask your permission to post some signs with the Rules of the Trail.  Can we use some space in the new kiosk at the trail head?  That will help for anyone who looks, but I bet most riders never look at the kiosk.  I also request permission to add some stickers to the Carsonite sign posts on the trails.  We want to add a yellow triangle that shows who yields to who.  We have similar stickers at Slaughter Creek Trail with horses (has right of way), hikers (yields to horse) and bikers (yields to everybody).  (We may have to get some stickers made to not show horses.)  We need your permission and time to make or buy signs.

3) We need to clearly define what parts of the park are off-leash and what parts are leash required. The email from Mike makes me think he considers all of Walnut Creek Park to be an off-leash dog park. I think signs would be required here too.  Is that something you / PARD can do or can ARR help with that?

4) We will request *ALL* Austin Ridge Rider members recognize the issue and follow the Rules of the Trail.  We hope to set a good example that others will follow.  This will be posted on our web site and Facebook page this week.

Even if we do all of that and all Austin Ridge Rider members yield and are polite to everyone they meet, I expect there will still be issues.  Not all mountain bikers are members of the Austin Ridge Riders. My suspicion is that the riders causing the issues are relatively new riders who are riding aggressively at a busy park because they don't know any better.  We (ARR) have little influence with them unless we can attract them to other trails.  That may not be easy if it happens at all.  But we will try our best.

I look forward to hearing your answers to my request to post signs.  If I should take this up with D'Anne or someone else, please connect me with them.

Trails Program Director
Austin Ridge Riders

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 2

Hopefully the comment I can't see above is him saying that he actually became a member. RA, you can follow my example. I'm a member of both and actually give my time and effort also.

I know, I know...you use a lot of words and pretend to help. I guess we have to accept that that's what you are willing to give.