IGNORED

UCI World Cup DH

chuckt

Has anyone figured out how to watch live/replay of the 2023 season?
I have Discovery+ but they aren’t making it easy. You’d think with the amount of $$$ they spent on the rights, they put a little effort into making sure people can actually view it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chuckt said:

Has anyone figured out how to watch live/replay of the 2023 season?
I have Discovery+ but they aren’t making it easy. You’d think with the amount of $$$ they spent on the rights, they put a little effort into making sure people can actually view it.

Discovery+ is AIDS.

Im having the same issue as you, and just ended up cancelling my subscription because their UI is the worst in the industry.

GMBN on YT has all the coverage with the exception of elite finals for free. * GCN is the same price as discovery for subscription. We'll keep it until the season is over.

As much as I like Cedric, the commentating is definitely lacking.

Edited by ATXZJ
Network correction. Thanks @zander

No one is going to ‘replace’ Rob.
I have D+ On Roku for other stuff, so I’ll keep it for now, but I still can’t figure how they except anyone to watch MTB.
I’m really only interested in the Elite Finals. I’ve been able to get enough of practice & quali from riders & PinkBike/VitalMTB YouTube channels in the past.

ETA, GCN+... what’s that going to cost me? Edited by chuckt
  • Like 1

Everything discovery touches dies. Hoping redbull starts their own series and DH goes there. All the uci cares about is road biking anyway.

Here's the link . $9

https://welcome.globalcyclingnetwork.com/summer_usa?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ZWkBhA4EiwAVJXwqVsrtZxw7OXm_c1E2h8k1-Ky2HQlB2hrlMas8S4DQgHSeAJPtfYjgBoCVY8QAvD_BwE

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

GCN+ has much more and better coverage. More cameras better camera operators though they need to work on the drone timing. The on air talent not so much.  Though Cedric Gracia is always a trip, Rob and Elliot on redbull are the best at calling MTB races. Idiots during men’s DH were trying to talk over the women’s DH award ceremony, which you could clearly hear in the background, vs being at the ceremony…bad planning poor audio work. 

Hopefully both GCN+ and UCI will tweak the format and coverage as the season progresses. Total BS that men’s DH is top 30 in final, women’s is 10…wtf?

• Like 1

Downloaded disco app and 7day trial to see if there was something i was doing wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time that happened when it comes to tech with me. Multiple searches for coverage and came up with nothing. What an absolute mess.  

Cancelled (again) and subscribed to GCN. Are you guys able to download the GCN app on your streaming devices or just mobile and then cast to TV?

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

Downloaded disco app and 7day trial to see if there was something i was doing wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time that happened when it comes to tech with me. Multiple searches for coverage and came up with nothing. What an absolute mess.  

Cancelled (again) and subscribed to GCN. Are you guys able to download the GCN app on your streaming devices or just mobile and then cast to TV?

downloaded app to phone/pad/smart tv. all seem to work fine.  Even streamed from pad to chromecast on one tv.  know people that use it fine with Roku too.  

Yeah, I made the same Discovery+ SNAFU a few weeks back.  It's only in Europe that the D+ app covers cycling. 😕 

• Thanks 1

Zero issues with GCN+ coverage but would love it on Appletv or LG instead of having to cast from my phone.  However, I am glad that I can cast to the AppleTV and use that remote to pause, rewind and FFWD as needed.

Love the drone on XC!  Wish we had it last year to see what actually happened between Nino and Matthias at this track.

I do miss Rob.  Watched that last goodbye after the Elite Men’s XCO race last year…definitely got something in my eye.  I’m glad GCN hired Bart Freintjens for XC.  Did they not retain Claudio on DH? I’m about to find out….

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:29 PM, AntonioGG said:

Zero issues with GCN+ coverage but would love it on Appletv or LG instead of having to cast from my phone.  However, I am glad that I can cast to the AppleTV and use that remote to pause, rewind and FFWD as needed.

Love the drone on XC!  Wish we had it last year to see what actually happened between Nino and Matthias at this track.

I do miss Rob.  Watched that last goodbye after the Elite Men’s XCO race last year…definitely got something in my eye.  I’m glad GCN hired Bart Freintjens for XC.  Did they not retain Claudio on DH? I’m about to find out….

Pretty much my thoughts as well

Had to cast from my phone through the app as roku and prime did not offer GCN from their stores. Liked having more cameras on track than they did on RBTV did but their telemetry left something to be desired. Hard to keep up with who was putting down the fastest time and the results were inaccurate when they did cross the line. Also losing the riders reactions sitting on the hotseat, while also cutting away to some jerkoff talking about riders on their stationary bikes during a race run was imbecilic.  I've always liked Cedric as a rider and enjoyed his dirty sanchez vlogs, but he doesn't seem to fit in with a corporate culture. Particularly in English broadcasting. Ric had the excitement of drying paint while on air.

Overall the format felt a little more like wide world of sports than the by riders for riders vibe we prefer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the GCN app on phone, then casting. Tried using the app on GoogleTV, but holy hell was it ass. It would constantly lock up the entire TV, where I had to use the physical disconnect hack. 

No issues casting to TV from phone, so that's what I do.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

No issues casting to TV from phone, so that's what I do.

My only issue when casting is if I decide to browse something while watching and that page has an ad with video on it, and that stops the GCN cast.  I need to dig up one of the old ipads to use solely for casting GCN or Flosports (their app works fine on AppleTV but to watch restricted races I VPN to another country on my phone).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

My only issue when casting is if I decide to browse something while watching and that page has an ad with video on it, and that stops the GCN cast.  I need to dig up one of the old ipads to use solely for casting GCN or Flosports (their app works fine on AppleTV but to watch restricted races I VPN to another country on my phone).

I always screw up and attempt to turn the volume up on the TV through the Roku remote, booting me off cast. 🤣

For comparison, watch the most recent Innsbruck race on RB TV with Rob, Eliot, Tracey and also Finn commentating. Finn was better in 5 minutes than the disco bois have been since the season started. Also track walks with Reece are great. Dude is a natural on the camera.

Man I hope DH ditches UCI and goes to a redbull series. Theres almost zero money in it for the riders to stay.

UCI can glady keep XC in trade😁

Edited by ATXZJ

On 6/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, AntonioGG said:

Yeah, noted that. I skip to race start, then put phone down. But now that you mention it, pretty sure I have a tablet to cast from. Will try that.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, who the hell can figure out what service is streaming World Champs?  Doesn’t appear on the schedule for GCN+ or RedBullTV. Just keep reading it’s put out for a separate bid than the World Cup Series but nothing on who that service freakin’ is.  UCI could screw up a one car funeral procession!

Edited by Chongo Loco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/11/2023 at 10:49 AM, ATXZJ said:

Everything discovery touches dies.

Shit.  You weren’t kidding…

GCN+ and the GCN app will be closing on 19 December 2023 in all countries and regions. GCN+ subscribers will receive a refund for the time remaining on their subscription.

Cycling fans can continue to enjoy cycling content at globalcyclingnetwork.com and the GCN YouTube channel. To find out where you can watch cycling events previously available on GCN+, go to Where can I watch cycling events?

…of course in the US we’re fucked bc it doesn’t seem at this point that even discovery+ is an option like in the UK.  Please RedBull pick it up!!

On 12/19 I’m deleting my GCN account.  I’m expecting FloSports to fold too given the settlement and layoffs….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Hopefully this will provide a push for a new series sans the UCI. 

pretty interesting listen if you have the time

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/year-later-world-cup-downhill-racing-better

1 minute into Bernard Kerr and it already sounds like WB/Discovery may kill world cups too.  I hadn't realized the format changed b/c of them.

• Like 1