IGNORED

Guerrilla Gravity Closed

Hugh

Based on what I can find, this rumor started on Reddit about 20 days ago. And it's a deleted post based on "good authority." And so far as I can tell, GG has made no statements on the matter, neither on their website, their social medial, nor a press release that can be found in a Google News search. The reddit thread has a bit of speculation about the company starting to produce their Rev'd frames for other manufactures, but will close their GG line.

But GG remains entirely silent on the issue so far as I can tell. Also, their phone number still works, but "all representatives are busy."   

There are too many companies, most likely. In any market you can have large companies that service the broader, more generic market (Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.) and you can have smaller companies that service particular niches in the market (think of companies like Chumba that sell a much more specialized offering that people are willing to pay money for...)

When you get crossways is with smaller companies trying to sell a less differentiated bike to the broader market. "300% stronger" is a great selling point, but it is a selling point, not a market. Steel singlespeeds or cross-country bike packing are markets and these are things smaller companies can sell into. But if you are trying to compete with Trek and Specialized which key more off of price, the 300% stronger is a nice to have differentiator but it is not something that the segment is willing to spend more to get. So that means either you take lower margins to try to compete with them, or you constantly get outpriced because you cannot compete with their volume.

YT is another one. Their claim to fame is that they are direct, but this has just as many downsides to it and "direct" is a purchase channel, not a bike. Canyon seems to be holding its own in this area and may have enough critical mass, but time will tell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Barry said:

Based on what I can find, this rumor started on Reddit about 20 days ago. And it's a deleted post based on "good authority." And so far as I can tell, GG has made no statements on the matter, neither on their website, their social medial, nor a press release that can be found in a Google News search. The reddit thread has a bit of speculation about the company starting to produce their Rev'd frames for other manufactures, but will close their GG line.

But GG remains entirely silent on the issue so far as I can tell. Also, their phone number still works, but "all representatives are busy."   

I've tried reaching out to them for over a week. Their website shows no bikes are available. I saw someone from a bike shop post that GG told them they were closing. I'm really bummed.

It looks like they've spun off Revved to be a contract frame builder.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Hugh said:

One of those patents was just filed in May.

Not technically (I'm a patent agent so it's my jam).  It was published (by the patent office) in May but was actually filed in the patent office December 2022.  Even then it has a basis from an earlier patent application filing of March 2022.

As of now, the patents are still assigned to Guerrila Industries.  Looks like they are part of assets being sold though.  Will be interesting to see if some large bike company buys them or they could go to another carbon fiber company.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This made me sad as I have a GG Smash I absolutely love. It's been indestructible for me so far and I've had some doozy crashes. I was able to get backup frame components from Canfield so at least I'm good from that perspective if/when things do start falling apart.

• Sad 1

On 12/7/2023 at 2:45 PM, gdog-1992 said:

Not technically (I'm a patent agent so it's my jam).  It was published (by the patent office) in May but was actually filed in the patent office December 2022.  Even then it has a basis from an earlier patent application filing of March 2022.

As of now, the patents are still assigned to Guerrila Industries.  Looks like they are part of assets being sold though.  Will be interesting to see if some large bike company buys them or they could go to another carbon fiber company.

Yeah, that's the good news with good patents: they fetch good money on the open market when a business goes under. I worked for a startup and Dell was licensing our technology for one of their platforms. We were taking on water and tried to get them to buy the company. Why bother? They could buy the patent in the liquidation at a fraction of the cost.

I'd bet if these are solid patents, they'll be around in the future on other products. If nobody wants to buy the patent or the assets of the company, they *could* still end up in the market if someone is ballsy enough to figure that whoever is holding the bag on the patent is unlikely to sue. At that point, you're throwing good money at bad. It's a weird world full of lots of calculations.