IGNORED

Intense 951 Trail Bike @ Costco, $1,999

Yup, COSTCO has a carbon fiber Intense 951, 150/140 trail/enduro bike, WITH WATER BOTTLE!!!!! 

• Premium Carbon Fiber Frame
  • Fox Suspension, 150/140mm Travel
  • SRAM 12-Speed Gearing for Easy Climbing
  • Adjustable Dropper Post
  • Pedals, Water Bottle and Toolkit Included
  • 33 lbs

Oneline Price  $2,999

Less                 $1,000

Your price        $1,999  (until March 3)

Shipping and handling included! 

No specifics on the components, I assume basic SRAM, Fox

They also have an Intense gravel bike and a full suspension carbon XC bike. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this is a really good deal and Intense is a great company. 

The big thing though, for anyone that buys one, is to make sure that it is properly assembled. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the torque tolerances around carbon components. I'd opt to get one unassembled and use that $1000 savings on a good Park Tools torque wrench.

The geometry is more of an XC bike, but that is fine for around here. If you spend all your time at Spider Mountain you might want to pass, but if you are riding most of our stuff it is a really good deal. And I believe that Costco gives you an additional warranty (that is why I buy my computers there.) Also, the Costco credit cards give you a % back.

I'd assume that anyone who buys one is going to upgrade some components pretty quick. If anyone happens to be there and sees one on the floor, snap a few pics for us.

As far as the gravel bike is concerned I personally would opt for the Shimano. I have a gravel bike with Sram Rival which is a step up from Apex and the function is just OK. I have another gravel bike with Shimano GRX and everything about how it operates is much better/smoother than Sram.

Edited by Chief

2 hours ago, Chief said:

As far as the gravel bike is concerned I personally would opt for the Shimano. I have a gravel bike with Sram Rival which is a step up from Apex and the function is just OK. I have another gravel bike with Shimano GRX and everything about how it operates is much better/smoother than Sram.

Shimano GRX is butter smooth.

• Like 1

Yeah, but if Costco only offers the 1X SRAM then I think I know what my answer would probably be. At $1500 it would be worth swapping derailleur and shifters later if the SRAM proved to be too cumbersome for me.

If I had just done a couple months straight of heavy contracting I would have bought it already. But so far the work this year is light, only equivalent to a bit more than the cost of the bike. There are times to do crazy stupid purchases, but the grave bike can wait for now.

Edited by AustinBike

4 hours ago, rockshins said:

Awesome price, but would bin that drivetrain, nx is pretty bad. Leaves you with a hg freehub, so could go shimano linkglide or Microshift looks good as well!

My thoughts exactly. Nice bike for the price either way.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 6:04 AM, AustinBike said:

The geometry is more of an XC bike, but that is fine for around here. If you spend all your time at Spider Mountain you might want to pass, but if you are riding most of our stuff it is a really good deal.

Geo looks pretty good to me, regardless of where you ride. Besides, I had more fun at spider on my 100/120mm bike than I did my 180mm high pivot rig. With the exception of all the erosion on the double black, spider wasn't that gnarly. 

Agree that the 951 would be a great bike for CTX.

• 1 month later...

when I worked at REI, every Diamondback bike we assembled came with a "fork direction" sticker, but it was not affixed to anything. I started collecting them and now I have a decent stack. I like to keep one in my pocket and stick it to forks at Target, Walmart, Academy, etc. There was a fat bike at Target with a backwards fork to which I adhered one of these stickers, and I came back to check on it every few months. it was still there, with the backwards fork, for several months.

• Haha 2