IGNORED

Injury Reports

On 6/10/2023 at 7:31 PM, June Bug said:

A fatality was reported this past week at Brushy Creek. 

AJ Camp posted this on facebook on June 8:  "From what I was told by my fireman buddy (just wasn't on shift but it was his station that responded), a man and his child roughly 10 yrs old were riding Picnic when he fell and was struck by a punji stick just below armpit height. He apparently removed the stick/spear from his wound and then later when emergency services tried to help him he was combative - was a big guy so was hard to calm down. He was probably in some type of shock. He passed later - don't know if in transit or at hospital, but I head - at the hospital." 

I just got an email - I believe this was a friend of mine, Jared Crecelius. His wife said he died mountain biking on June 2. 

Jared was a really nice guy. Left behind two kids and a wife. He was a realtor in NW Austin/CP. Over the years he helped us buy and sell multiple times as well working with a number of our friends. When an obituary is posted I'll link it here.

I will add to the above about cutting flush with the trunk. If you cannot cut it flush and it's fairly long, leave it for the next person with the right equipment. Also, if you ever receive a large puncture wound, do everything you can to NOT remove the object. Remain still and calm and call for immediate help. 

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I just got an email - I believe this was a friend of mine, Jared Crecelius. His wife said he died mountain biking on June 2. 

Jared was a really nice guy. Left behind two kids and a wife. He was a realtor in NW Austin/CP. Over the years he helped us buy and sell multiple times as well working with a number of our friends. When an obituary is posted I'll link it here.

I will add to the above about cutting flush with the trunk. If you cannot cut it flush and it's fairly long, leave it for the next person with the right equipment. Also, if you ever receive a large puncture wound, do everything you can to NOT remove the object. Remain still and calm and call for immediate help. 

Thank you for the update.   We did a work day that had been previously planned  prior to this event and for this type of cuts. This coming Sunday is another and we'd love to have another good turnout. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else struggling with sciatica?  I had a bout of it in the late winter and with chiropractic, accupuncture, and structural bodywork it went away.  But recently it flared up again and we are still in Flagstaff so it has been challenging to find practitioners that take my insurance and have openings.  Ugh.   

I suffered from sciatica for many years before Skot at BSS suggested a wider saddle to help better support the sit bones (it only affected me off the bike). I don’t hurt anymore and no longer fear the little bastard in my right cheek going off at any moment. Hope you get it worked out. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

If by 'sciatica" you mean low back pain that goes down the leg, then not anymore. I have a squashed disc at L5-S1, but haven't had pain in a while. Yoga, specifically cobra pose (hips on floor, face down, push up 30x keeping hips on floor) helped a LOT. 

100% this^

Had three bulging lower discs preceded by sciatica which I ignored to my own detriment. Physical therapy followed by chiropractor then finally yoga was the key to recovery without shots or surgery. Yoga also did a lot for building core strength to stabilize those weak discs .

@hurronnicane Id listen to your body, and at minimum find a chiro that takes your insurance. 

Edited by ATXZJ

On 8/11/2023 at 10:02 AM, hurronnicane said:

Anyone else struggling with sciatica?  I had a bout of it in the late winter and with chiropractic, accupuncture, and structural bodywork it went away.  But recently it flared up again and we are still in Flagstaff so it has been challenging to find practitioners that take my insurance and have openings.  Ugh.   

I find this guy in town does excellent work on my back

https://www.moenchmethodbodywork.com/

I was dealing with this before and through chiropractic, accupuncture, and a structural bodywork regimen it had gone away seemingly.  Recently I think it was aggravated by an awkward lifting of our bike rack.  We have been out of town and it was initially challenging to find help that would take my insurance and that had availability.  I finally found someone and got an adjustment yesterday, and have another scheduled for Thursday.  We leave Flagstaff on Friday for Teluride, and Saturday we begin a six day ride to Moab so I’m hoping that I hold up to long days in the saddle and a bunch of climbing!  

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 3:39 PM, Sluggo said:

I suffered from sciatica for many years before Skot at BSS suggested a wider saddle to help better support the sit bones (it only affected me off the bike). I don’t hurt anymore and no longer fear the little bastard in my right cheek going off at any moment. Hope you get it worked out. 

I'll suggest this to Mr. JB, and see if it helps.  His sciatica started just this summer. 

This is a seemingly bad injury that just...faded away post.

This past Saturday we went to check out a dirt/gravel road that looked to have a good chance of going out to a point with an amazing view.  The gravel ended abruptly, but a sweet, smooth and very rideable two-track continued through the Pondersa and aspen, so we were zipping along side by side at a pretty good pace.  Then  a dead, but very strong branch  hidden  in some oak brush grabbed my handle bar, yanked it hard right. I went left taking out Mr. JB and instantly we were down in a tangled pile of arms, legs and bikes. I went down hard on my left shoulder and it HURT, it felt like there was some kind of serious damage.  Mr. JB was fine, but it took us a few minutes to extricate ourselves and I needed help getting up. 

On the way home was trying to sort out who to go to: Urgent Care/ER/walk-in clinic,  but went home first to get some of the dirt off. 

Slathered on some  hard core prescription pain creme with lidocaine and steroid foam that was on hand & decided to wait until Sunday morning for the walk-in clinic, because not hurting so bad.  Next day,  range of motion was good, there was soreness but no serious pain, and it all resolved over the next day or two.  Went for a nice ride yesterday (Tuesday).  All good. Amazed that anything that hurt so bad initially wasn't a severe injury, and resolved completely.  

I had my InReach and didn't need to use it, of course, but it was a reminder that an accident can come out of seemingly nowhere in benign surroundings. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 4:39 PM, Sluggo said:

wider saddle to help better support the sit bones 

Best bike fit advice I ever received!  Used one of Specialized's sit bone gauges at BSS over 10 years ago and have been rocking a 155mm Henge Comp saddle ever since (though they're getting hard to find!).  Couldn't believe that I was a "large", so it was even more surprising that more people aren't on wider saddles!  Pretty easy to measure your own width - may surprise you!

Edited by ssorgs
  • Like 2