IGNORED

The SATN SOCIAL

The Tip

2 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Any idea what a Plan B for this might be? Weather is looking grim.

Not sure where you are getting your info but Weather Underground has the forecast on Saturday at a high of 64 and partly cloudy with no rain. The rain yesterday and today was very light and shouldn't leave too much moisture. I think it will be about perfect!

37 minutes ago, cody said:

Not sure where you are getting your info but Weather Underground has the forecast on Saturday at a high of 64 and partly cloudy with no rain. The rain yesterday and today was very light and shouldn't leave too much moisture. I think it will be about perfect!

Agreed. I walked latta Greenbelt this evening and most trails were tacky with just a couple of wet spots. One day of sun shine should expose some hero dirt!

• Like 1

I was up north at work today near Walnut and it was cold and rainy all day. Walnut will not be OK to ride by Saturday. I assumed the weather 20 miles south was just as dismal. Hopefully it was less crappy on the south side. I just don't want everyone who lives on a cloud of optimism to assume the trails will be fine and not plan ahead.

For what it's worth:

1. The October 26 SATN Social ride was held 2 days after roughly 3" of rain across all the SATN (according to Hydromet). At least 50% of the trails were rideable. Granted there was a lot of wind the day prior.
  2. This event is held 2 days after 0.08-0.12" of rain pretty uniformly.
  3. It will be sunny today with 2-6 mph winds all day.
  4. My back yard near Williamson Creek (Valero) is moist but firm and "rideable."

A guarantee there will be lots of rideable trails, but I could see a few closures. I imagine the organizers will give us the lowdown tonight.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:18 AM, mack_turtle said:

I live in the middle of SATN. My back yard was a muddy mess this morning. I doubt any of the trails will be GTG tomorrow.

Debbie-Downer.jpg

😁

So...how was the event? It tore me up to miss it, but I was out of town. How did it go? Did anyone do the Social challenge or did everyone just succumb to lure of the Hunt? Was there a big turnout? WERE the trails and weather okay? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Tip said:

So...how was the event? It tore me up to miss it, but I was out of town. How did it go? Did anyone do the Social challenge or did everyone just succumb to lure of the Hunt? Was there a big turnout? WERE the trails and weather okay? 

I'm also curious, as I was also out of town yesterday.  I'd really like to do all that mileage someday, but it would help to ride with someone who's already familiar with the trails (or at least more familiar with them than I am, with a few exceptions of trails I do know).

..Al

I attempted all three Social routes. I did South and East just fine. I knew I would have to ride fast to finish the North route before the 3 p.m. cutoff, so I didn't go back to my car and refill my water and grab another Cliff bar. That was a mistake. By the time I reach Reproductive Cycle, I was spent. I rode into Sunset Valley turned too early, then just limped back to ATX Bikes on the VCT.

I think only two people completed all three: Andy and Jackie? Singlespeeders, naturally.

Trails were great! A few slippery spots but most of the dirt was fine. After-party was lovely and it made me really jealous of the kids who are growing up with so much support for cycling.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

Jackie here, and yes it was a blast. Andy and I didn’t start until almost 9 and only had minutes to spare to make the cutoff time. In my opinion, the trails were great! We were determined to complete all three loops while still having a good time, not getting hurt, and enjoying the day. We succeeded on all fronts and enjoyed the festivities afterwards. I can’t speak to the turnout, but the after party seemed well attended. Thanks for creating such a great place for us old dudes to play, and for the new members of the tribe to cut their teeth. Truly a blessing. (Especially for us single speeders!)

• Like 4

I was there all day. I got there early to lend a hand with whatever I could. I only saw Mack, Jackie and Andy set out for the social. I got there just after 8 and those were the only people I saw actually start but there might have been more start on time.

I did the scavenger hunt with some of the C&D crew. I got to eat a gas station hot dog worth a whopping one bonus point that is still causing me trouble. The employee there said they'd already sold 9 that day. All to mountain bikers. We asked how many hot dogs they normally sell and he shook his head and said none. We didn't podium this year but I got to hang out all day and topped it off with a lrunk dap around north and south bank just as the sun was setting. We should have had lights by then but that made it even more fun. Pretty much perfect weather and conditions. I was there for over 10 hours.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

IT'S BAAAAAACK! Mark your calendars.

An exclusive first announcement to this forum; Saturday June 4th. Rain date June 11th

68 miles this year. Or, 109 K. So it's actually The SATN SOCIAL CENTURY

92% sweet SATN dirt. More details to follow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...