IGNORED

City Park - still ok in the rain?

21 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

So that might be an option. HOL down is usually fine when wet, then one of the routes back up?

Oh man, I would ride all over that thing and never touch the HOL.  I am not sure if I am allowed to refer to those trails by name.  I can send you a strava route or PM you. 

FYI, I just looked out the window and its raining on the greenbelt, that or an extremely dense fog. Either way, the rocks are slippery today. and will need 1 day of sun. 

My point was not about damage to the trail. Over the years it has gotten too rutted and too sketchy. It used to dry out in a few hours but now it is taking a few days. The last time that I rode after rain (about 2 days post rain) the trails were all still wet and doubly sketchy. I almost crashed a few times based on conditions. The motos do tear up the trails after a rain, but technically they were there first, I can't complain. My issue is that for a bike, it is actually more dangerous after a rain because it no longer drains like it used to drain.

My understanding of CP is that the trails were originally built for the much lighter trials bikes, and mostly to access the (now) forbidden trails in the central area. A few years ago, the last motorcycle park in Travis County closed, so those guys headed for CP with their much larger, much heavier motos. Those bikes almost immediately caused the existing damage to the trails - broken chunks of rock, massive divots, etc. It no longer drains like it used to. But, as others have pointed out, it's "their" trail system.

16 hours ago, TAF said:

My understanding of CP is that the trails were originally built for the much lighter trials bikes, and mostly to access the (now) forbidden trails in the central area. A few years ago, the last motorcycle park in Travis County closed, so those guys headed for CP with their much larger, much heavier motos. Those bikes almost immediately caused the existing damage to the trails - broken chunks of rock, massive divots, etc. It no longer drains like it used to. But, as others have pointed out, it's "their" trail system.

Nope....   CP was built by the Capital Cats....  so they could ride in the wet conditions...  on dirt bikes....not trials bikes as you stated.

• Like 1

Motopail is right except for one thing - spelling. It was Kapitol Katz.

Kapitol Katz was a dirt biking group with few if any trials riders The trials riders quickly adopted the riding area in the 1970's because the terrain suited their type of riding. The trials riders almost NEVER used the trails we ride except to get to the "trials sections" (typically small areas of extremely difficult terrain). The trials sections were so difficult that the decision was made to NOT show them on maps available to non-trials riders. In the mid 1980's Cliff Turner took over as "Trail Steward" ( they called it Volunteer Trail Coordinator at that time). Cliff and his son both rode KDX200's (off-road enduro motorcycles when people still knew what the word "enduro" meant). Just for reference, I rode an RM125 (motocross bike) on that trail in the 1980 before I got a 1993(?) RMX250 enduro bike. I also rode a Nashbar mountain bike on the trail.

Several people have spent a lot of time and effort to document the history of the Motorcycle Park at Emma Long. You can find a great summary at - http://www.felmp.org/documents/EmmaLongMotorcyclePark-SummaryAndDefense.pdf

A large part of why the trails are in their current condition is because one user group wants to create berms on corners. They pitched fits if anything was done to drain water off the trail. Because most of the trail is solid rock there are only a few places berms can occur. Those would be the places that now hold water on the trail long after a rain. Due to a number of 'discussions', I am only dealing with downed trees on the official trail. Anything on the trail tread is left to others. I don't want to create anymore "wheel chair ramps".

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Motopail said:

Nope....   CP was built by the Capital Cats....  so they could ride in the wet conditions...  on dirt bikes....not trials bikes as you stated.

I'm always happy to stand corrected - especially by those fortunate enough to have been around in the day - but I do maintain that the larger motorcycles do cause damage out there. I was out there one Thanksgiving day a few years ago - not something I'd recommend, btw - and it was busy with motos. One guy in particular had a massive 650cc motocross bike. The rider wasn't that skilled, so we kept passing one another. Unlike the lighter motos of yore, he would just ram it into the ledges to climb them. Rock was flying everywhere, and the divots when he cornered were 12 inches deep or more. It's really never been the same since, especially after rain.

1 minute ago, crazyt said:

el gato seems to drain pretty well, as do other trails in the same area.

Yeah one of those would be my normal choice, but I had not ridden CP in months so I thought I would give it a go. It was not quite a mistake, but it is just so rutted out. There are just too many huge puddles. Also I chose the single speed which was the wrong choice for a trail that is lacking in the traction department...

20 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Speaking of Emma Long....

I only do the main loop when I'm out there.  Any pointers on other cool spots to hit?

Pretty much the Main Loop is the MTB trail. There is also a "two way" trail that connect the east side to the west side of the Main Loop (Katzwalk). There is a "kids loop" south of the parking lot and few short connector trails scattered about. You can see all of the legal trails on the map posted in the kiosk by the picnic shelter. That should be the same map that is at https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/GIS/EmmaLongKioskMap_Motorcycle.pdf

7 hours ago, TAF said:

I'm always happy to stand corrected - especially by those fortunate enough to have been around in the day - but I do maintain that the larger motorcycles do cause damage out there. I was out there one Thanksgiving day a few years ago - not something I'd recommend, btw - and it was busy with motos. One guy in particular had a massive 650cc motocross bike. The rider wasn't that skilled, so we kept passing one another. Unlike the lighter motos of yore, he would just ram it into the ledges to climb them. Rock was flying everywhere, and the divots when he cornered were 12 inches deep or more. It's really never been the same since, especially after rain.

I agree with you the "enduro" motorcycles can cause a lot of damage to the trail. The trials motorcycle are probably similar in trail damage to hiking or MTBs. Those motorcycles are very light weight, very low tire pressure (10 - 12 PSI) and almost never spin or skid their tires.

And the less skilled the rider of anything, the more damage is likely.  Even MTB riders who cannot ride the trail cause damage by creating a bypass.